DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 519
1 members and 518 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Anyone good at micro-soldering?
Unread
  (#1)
#swag

Anyone good at micro-soldering? - May 31, 2012, 07:33 PM

Last week I accidentally broke the battery connector off the logic board of my iPhone. I ordered a new connector and battery, but my hands are not steady enough, and the solder hardens too quickly before I can get one lead of the connector to "stick" to it. Anyone here think they can do it? The problem is, the connector is pretty much soldered underneath it. It doesn't go all the way through the board. Or is there some kind of conductive "paste" I can use to secure this on?

Here are the best pics I could get. As you can see, I already made a little bit of a mess with the tiniest amount of solder. The solder in the 2nd pic is .032 I believe. Gives you an idea how small this piece is.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-2511897264.jpg (478.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg image-2863988211.jpg (114.0 KB, 16 views)

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Nick  
Unread
  (#2)
Chasing the dragon

May 31, 2012, 07:42 PM

When I was doing work in my schools robotics lab I had to do small scale soldering. I had to use solder paste. Pretty much, prep the the surfaces, apply the paste, and bake at around 400 degrees I wanna say in a toaster oven that won't be used for food. I didn't have any luck using a regular soldering station on that small bitchass IC.

You may want to disassemble down to the board and just bake that and not the whole phone. That is if you go this route.

More gas, less brake
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Get Tarded!

May 31, 2012, 09:45 PM

Flux, a good iron, and a high silver content. I would offer but my iron's heating element is going bad.

I would tin the connector and the board, use a clean fine tip on the iron.

Then just hold it in place and do a quick pass, the higher the silver content the better it should hold.

08 Dizzzer SM
08 Z1000
98 KLR 650
  Send a message via AIM to