DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 564
4 members and 560 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy, davidcycle, legendindisguise, Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Anyone here does Freon? Think I need a couple pounds for the house
Unread
  (#1)
Im Always Down to Ride

Anyone here does Freon? Think I need a couple pounds for the house - June 16, 2013, 01:49 PM

Like the title says. Not getting as cool as it was last summer. Think I need a litte freon. Anyone here does it?

For a Townhouse AC unit

Remember when sex was safe and motorcycles were dangerous?

Speed kills, ride a Yamaha!

MotorSport/PowerSport Auctions
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Your Ad Here

June 17, 2013, 11:42 AM

If you have a heat pump/ A/C unit manufactured after 2009, a heads up: Get ready to pay through the nose!

This is one of the last years R-22 can be used because leaks damage the ozone layer.
They've already wound down production and it's being banned in some regions. In anticipation of this certain companies have been hording supply and it has put upward pressure on the price per lbs.
Expect to pay something in the order of $100 (or more) per lbs.

Want better news? Going forward all systems will have to use R-410A. The refrigerant is NOT a direct replacement for or compatible with R-22 based systems which means either spending for an pricey conversion kit or buying an altogether new unit. :bang:

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
What are we doing here???

June 17, 2013, 01:02 PM

yeah man, I'm already going through this in my neighborhood and the oldest unit there is only 5 years old. There is cheap and then there is what the builder gave us which is "Hey lets get this thing working just long enough for us to finish building these houses and get the hell outta here cheap....". I've never known a brand new A/C unit to go bad after only a few years back in the day. I've talked to some of my neighbors and a service guy has come out to some houses, looked at the unit without even taking it apart and quoted a price (at least $500 just to pull the cover off) to fix it because they have worked on so many of them and know they are junk.

I'm saying all that to say - good luck with yours.

Beauty and The Beast

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Unread
  (#4)
Im Always Down to Ride

June 17, 2013, 01:09 PM

Well its definitely not a new unit. My complex is 15 years old. Unit is still pumping nice. But its not new. And yep, I have heard of the new charge for this. Last year I had home warranty and it was nothing but $40 for them to come out and add it. I am honestly not even sure if I need it, its just cant tell if it is pumping the same coldness as it did last year.

Remember when sex was safe and motorcycles were dangerous?

Speed kills, ride a Yamaha!

MotorSport/PowerSport Auctions
Unread
  (#5)
otb
AMA Superbike Champ

June 17, 2013, 07:25 PM

Depending on the type of unit, temperature differential should be around 20 d F (17-23) between intake air and discharge air. CHeck the intake air temp with a quick-read stem or infra-red thermo, and then check the cold air temp at the discharge vent; if the difference is less than 18 or so degrees, check the coil unit outside (condenser unit)for dirt and dust buildup (don't clean it with a pressure washer....you'll bend the fins and restrict airflow even more), just soap and water from a hose.

Check the inside coil (evaporator) for dust buildup (the most likely cause of problems)...vacuum the dust out of the coil and you should see a 3-5 degree drop......if the dust is caked on from a lot of cooking grease, or from cigarette smoke if there is a heavy smoker in the house, you can use Simple Green, straight, and rinse with water. They also make a special coil cleaner, but it has a lot of butyl in it and stinks the house up and makes your eyes water..

Check your coil condition and fan motor speeds first; if those are all in order then check refrigerant. A simple pressure check on modern ac systems is not sufficient; some are cap tube, some are pressure switch type; cap tube systems are sensitive to impurities and can give wonky readings. If you are going to add, make sure you know what kind is IN there, as most are incompatible with each other....some will cause overpressures or compressor destruction if mixed.

The only way to INSURE the correct amount of refrigerant is to have it pumped down and refilled by weight.

Too much and you'll be tryin to compress a liquid....and we know how THAT goes for pistons and con-rods........

Riding fast bikes slowly since 1969....
Unread
  (#6)
poz top looking 4 neg bot

June 17, 2013, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otb View Post
Depending on the type of unit, temperature differential should be around 20 d F (17-23) between intake air and discharge air. CHeck the intake air temp with a quick-read stem or infra-red thermo, and then check the cold air temp at the discharge vent; if the difference is less than 18 or so degrees, check the coil unit outside (condenser unit)for dirt and dust buildup (don't clean it with a pressure washer....you'll bend the fins and restrict airflow even more), just soap and water from a hose.

Check the inside coil (evaporator) for dust buildup (the most likely cause of problems)...vacuum the dust out of the coil and you should see a 3-5 degree drop......if the dust is caked on from a lot of cooking grease, or from cigarette smoke if there is a heavy smoker in the house, you can use Simple Green, straight, and rinse with water. They also make a special coil cleaner, but it has a lot of butyl in it and stinks the house up and makes your eyes water..

Check your coil condition and fan motor speeds first; if those are all in order then check refrigerant. A simple pressure check on modern ac systems is not sufficient; some are cap tube, some are pressure switch type; cap tube systems are sensitive to impurities and can give wonky readings. If you are going to add, make sure you know what kind is IN there, as most are incompatible with each other....some will cause overpressures or compressor destruction if mixed.

The only way to INSURE the correct amount of refrigerant is to have it pumped down and refilled by weight.

Too much and you'll be tryin to compress a liquid....and we know how THAT goes for pistons and con-rods........
In the winter yes. On a 70 degree day, why?

horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you
Unread
  (#7)
just some dude

June 18, 2013, 07:43 AM

a little off topic but kind of related, home depot has filtrete filters on sale 50% off if bought in bulk.

for example: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Filtrete-...0234/204236681

2013 Toyota Prius C4, holding up traffic...
2009 FZ1 (R-77 carbon exhaust, PC V, BMC air filter, D-shaped 'flies, chopped airbox and AIS, FCE; SW-Motech toprack and quick-release siderack, E55 topcase, pair of V35 sidecase, Woodcraft frame sliders)
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to novasquid Send a message via AIM to novasquid  
Unread
  (#8)
GP Champ

June 18, 2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post

This is one of the last years R-22 can be used because leaks damage the ozone layer.
Theoretically anyway.

Quote:
Expect to pay something in the order of $100 (or more) per lbs.
Anybody want to buy the 30lb jug of R-22 I have in my garage?
Unread
  (#9)
Your Ad Here

June 18, 2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimoto View Post
Theoretically anyway.
True. I mean if you know someone who knows someone, they'll gladly recharge the R-22 for you under the table.

This is basically the same sort of run-up on prices and hording that happened in the 90's when automotive A/C systems were mandated to change from R-12 to R-134a. Millions of car owners found themselves with A/C systems they either could not recharge legally and had to pay a thousand for conversion kit or find someone who horded up enough R-22 to top them off. And they paid dearly for the service.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Unread
  (#10)
#swag

June 18, 2013, 11:09 AM

ANYONE HERE DOES GRAMMAR?

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Nick  
Unread
  (#11)
Railing!

June 18, 2013, 05:50 PM

hahahah. certain people on this forum hate grammar.

if you need to charge your system, call hvac dudes on cl. call guys selling carriers.

I bought a brand new full charged r22 carrier a while ago for 200$ on cl. you just gotta look. didnt even need to charge my system.
Unread
  (#12)
GP Champ

June 18, 2013, 11:24 PM

Quote:
True. I mean if you know someone who knows someone, they'll gladly recharge the R-22 for you under the table.

This is basically the same sort of run-up on prices and hording that happened in the 90's when automotive A/C systems were mandated to change from R-12 to R-134a. Millions of car owners found themselves with A/C systems they either could not recharge legally and had to pay a thousand for conversion kit or find someone who horded up enough R-22 to top them off. And they paid dearly for the service.
I meant theoretically it damages the ozone layer. The science is very contradictory.