DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 489
1 members and 488 guests
tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Anyone know a good lawyer for Condo Bylaws?
Unread
  (#1)
Licensed Rider

Anyone know a good lawyer for Condo Bylaws? - March 10, 2011, 09:06 PM

Some drunk chick locked herself out of my condo last sunday, pulled the fire alarm just when I opened the door for her.

never met her, but apparently she was staying with her parents in the building so she's not a resident.

since i was there I called the fire department right away to let them know it was a false alarm, and then let the management office know everything I knew the day after.

tonight i receive a notice that the management office is filing two complaints against ME for the violation, which is pretty whack because the security footage should show that I tried to get her to stay in the lobby but she went in the elevator (wasn't about to fight her), and I live on the first floor.

anyhoo, I think i need a lawyer because this bullshit will not stand. Thanks in advance!

tl;dr: condo management office is trying to stick me for a false fire alarm I had nothing to do with.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)

March 10, 2011, 09:10 PM

that sounds like a headache I sure hope someone hear can point you in the right direction
Unread
  (#3)
Track Ho

March 10, 2011, 09:11 PM

tell them to check for fingerprints on the fire alarm pull

"I am officially retired so please don't ban me"
Unread
  (#4)
This Ain't My First Time!

March 10, 2011, 09:19 PM

Does not pay to try to do the right thing sometimes. You could have just stayed in your apartment and let it all go down and just acted dumb if they came to your door to ask questions.

OVER? did you say "Over"? Nothing is over until we decide its over, was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell No!!!

~Blutarski~

Dodge131:
If your goal is to scrape knee within 1 mile of your house then you sir have a problem.

Men have two emotions: Hungry and Horny. If you see him without an erection, make him a sandwich.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
Your Ad Here

March 10, 2011, 09:46 PM

Too soon for a lawyer.

(1) I have my property manager send out nasty grams all the time. They're more or less an intimidation and posturing position unless you have specific proof of the violations - which would have been articulated in the letter. The Management office has to PROVE you were the one who pulled the alarm.
By way of you reporting the event to your management company is NOT an admission of liability or guilt. You simply happened to be the first person on the scene.

Note: Where you might have put yourself in a bit of a bind is when you let her in the building. Almost every bylaw states that unless a person is an authorized guest (of yours), you're not to let anyone in the building. You've already admitted you didn't know her - and I'm guessing you didn't get her name or the unit number she was staying in. That's probably one of the violations they can rightfully ring you up on.

(2) In the meantime, send a polite, but tersely worded letter to the management office refuting their version of events. Reiterate in the letter precisely what occurred and what you did, that you would like copies of the security video and any evidence they have which counters your version of events or leads them to suspect you are the responsible party, and a copy of this letter attached to March's Board of Directors management report.

CC: the letter to the Condo Board President and request a formal hearing with the Condo Board regarding this matter. Also CC: the unit owner of the guest (if you know it), since ultimately the unit owner is responsible for the conduct/actions of their guests while on the property if it results in damage to any of the common areas or fees are assessed to the budget (which is what the FD charged your complex for the false alarm).

If what you stated actually took place, and presuming you have your next Board meeting later this month - this whole thing should be resolved favorably by April after the BOD meets in private session to discuss your case and speak with management as to why/what evidence they have to prove it was you.

Good luck.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#6)
Licensed Rider

March 11, 2011, 07:03 AM

that's a bit of a catch-22, i opened the door cause she was trying to pull the fire alarm.

oh well. thanks for the advice, i'll start writing that letter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
Too soon for a lawyer.

Note: Where you might have put yourself in a bit of a bind is when you let her in the building. Almost every bylaw states that unless a person is an authorized guest (of yours), you're not to let anyone in the building. You've already admitted you didn't know her - and I'm guessing you didn't get her name or the unit number she was staying in. That's probably one of the violations they can rightfully ring you up on.
Unread
  (#7)
Derpetologist

March 11, 2011, 07:14 AM

Internet advice >>> professional lawyer

*Not intended to be a factual statement.
Unread
  (#8)
Your Ad Here

March 11, 2011, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail View Post
Internet advice >>> professional lawyer
I'm the Board President for two condos, serving 5 and 6 years respectively. Prior to this I was the Treasurer.

I've been through similar scenarios before.

The management company is retained by the board to handle the day-to-day and act in the community's best interest however, ultimately, the board has the power to instruct the management company on how to handle individual resident disputes.

Thus the request for a hearing at the next condo meeting to be heard before the BOD.

Smart BODs would rather eat the $200 "False Alarm" charge in the general operating budget as opposed to the resident turning around making it a full bore legal matter when there is no - or flimsy evidence, which in turn will cost significantly more than $200.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

Unread
  (#9)
Your Ad Here

March 11, 2011, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcheecho View Post
that's a bit of a catch-22, i opened the door cause she was trying to pull the fire alarm.

oh well. thanks for the advice, i'll start writing that letter.
I wouldn't phrase it like that. More like "I heard a commotion and banging on the entrance door to my building. I went to investigate if someone was being assaulted or needed help. As I approached, I witnessed the female guest reach up and pull the fire alarm."

Unread
  (#10)
Jake's Mom

March 11, 2011, 08:06 AM

all you have to do is contest it.
They will eventually back down.
you don't need a lawyer.

2005 R6 - Track
2012 BMW S1000RR - Street
Ride Like A Girl Racing
Diva Rydaz
R.I.P. Wayne aka Godson
R.I.P. Sue Miller
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#11)
Yo quiero Trackday!

March 11, 2011, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
I wouldn't phrase it like that. More like "I heard a commotion and banging on the entrance door to my building. I went to investigate if someone was being assaulted or needed help. As I approached, I witnessed the female guest reach up and pull the fire alarm."

Thats the letter right there!
Unread
  (#12)
TPG og

March 11, 2011, 11:39 AM

Sign them up for ghey midget pr0nz, poop in their shoes, photoshop their faces on sex offender posters and plant them around the condo.

Dog eat dog mang.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to b00st  
Unread
  (#13)
Your Ad Here

March 11, 2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b00st View Post
Sign them up for ghey midget pr0nz, poop in their shoes, photoshop their faces on sex offender posters and plant them around the condo.

Dog eat dog mang.
^^^Lol.

Unread
  (#14)
Super Moderator

March 11, 2011, 06:38 PM

Im with Heist - Dont need a lawyer.

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
-George Orwell

CCS Amateur #588
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Scorpion9R Send a message via AIM to Scorpion9R Send a message via MSN to Scorpion9R  
Unread
  (#15)
Officially Addicted to Posting

March 11, 2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion9R View Post
Im with Heist - Dont need a lawyer.
You need one of these:

I'm not a leg humper... but I'm super attracted to how fucking stupid she is! - wildjester

Castle: rob, potbelly, stat. i brought the bike, wanna ride 2 up??
ClemsonJeeper: omg i'm in now!
Castle: fvck, did i just put that in the sb?