DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 565
5 members and 560 guests
davidcycle, knonfs, Scot, Slider, vonstallin
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Anyone own BMW 7 Series?
Unread
  (#1)
Signed up for Track Days!

Anyone own BMW 7 Series? - July 18, 2012, 10:18 AM

Geeting curious.......

Looking used 2006-2008.......Any stories?

I know the price drop is insane, 90k new 30k used....due to warranty? Maint?

WERA #217
CCS #217

2011 Tarmac SL2
2011 S-Works Venge Project Black
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Stand Collector

July 18, 2012, 10:28 AM

DONT DO IT! YOU WILL DUMP MONEYZZZ into it like never before...
there is a reason that body style (E65/66) depreciates like a mofo on crack, if you really want a 7 series, I recommend the E38 body style, cheaper parts, simpler electronics, no annoying i-drive, looks sexier too, my 2 cents.

I owned a bunch of older BMWs, mostly E30s and E34s, but the E38 7-series is my second favorite.

899 Panigale

Last edited by airjor13; July 18, 2012 at 10:31 AM..
Unread
  (#3)
Signed up for Track Days!

July 18, 2012, 10:30 AM

Word.....

Why are they such crap?

I've heard most Beemer are first buyer only cars....once the go used the are MEH

WERA #217
CCS #217

2011 Tarmac SL2
2011 S-Works Venge Project Black
Unread
  (#4)
I'm a llama again!

July 18, 2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyatt View Post
Word.....

Why are they such crap?

I've heard most Beemer are first buyer only cars....once the go used the are MEH

This is a older link but it still holds true. There is a reason why the rich lease them and then lease another in three years. They are horrible to keep running and everything is expensive as hell. Same with Jag's.

my750.com - My BMW 750iL, a Driving Machine Disaster!
Unread
  (#5)
Stand Collector

July 18, 2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyatt View Post
Word.....

Why are they such crap?

Its mainly the expensive ass, over-engineered parts, and needlessly complex electronics issues, (vacuum operated door seals, complex seats, cam-bus interfaces, i-drive) the E65 was the first body style big 7 that BMW went literally buck shit wild with new, unproven tech just to have new unproven tech. Not to mention VANOS cam issues, power steering pump issues, transmission control module issues, god the list goes on and on. so long story short, unless you can fork over at least double the asking price, cause half of it will easily go towards maintenance, don't do it man. I love older BMWs cause they are just easier to work on and look better too.

899 Panigale
Unread
  (#6)
SRWJTS Recruiter

July 18, 2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider View Post
Same with Jag's.
Not completely true. Yes, the parts/maintenance on these cars are expensive; they are LUXURY cars. However speaking from personal experience, Jaguars have been VERY reliable. Not referring to the "fake" S & X types either. Dealt with several XJ8s and an XJR.

"Remember you may love your bike but your bike doesn't love you and that bitch will kill you the first time you do her wrong."

MARRC Cornerworker
http://www.marrc.org/

2010 Triumph Daytona 675 SE
2006 Yamaha R6 - Anniversary Edition - SOLD
2005 Yamaha R6 - SOLD
2001 Yamaha YZF600R - SOLD
Unread
  (#7)
MSF Student

July 18, 2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReasonableDoubt View Post
Not completely true. Yes, the parts/maintenance on these cars are expensive; they are LUXURY cars. However speaking from personal experience, Jaguars have been VERY reliable. Not referring to the "fake" S & X types either. Dealt with several XJ8s and an XJR.
Yea I heard the same about Jags...X and S type. BMW 7 series all I hear about is electronics messing up and costing $$$ to fix.
Unread
  (#8)
I'm a llama again!

July 18, 2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReasonableDoubt View Post

I am not as up to date as I used to be with Jags. I do know is there was never a summer one of them was not in a raging fire on rout 7 in Tysons Corner.
Unread
  (#9)
Your Ad Here

July 18, 2012, 11:08 AM

The reason why the Bangle designed 7s are so cheap are two fold.
First, the electronics were a horror fest. In the final year of that body style they finally sorted out all the gremlins (pretty much) but until then the car was problem plagued.

Second, I-Drive. Too many crucial functions and settings were linked to I-Drive and it wasn't easily navigable nor necessarily intuitive.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#10)
Largely Unsupervised....

July 18, 2012, 11:27 AM

I can't wait to trade in my '01 BMW X5 with 120K miles. It's been nickle and diming me since about 100K miles. I don't think I would keep one past 80K miles if I planned to do it again (and I don't.) Needlessly-complex plastic components disintegrate and warp (coolant reservoir, tail light pods) Fun to drive, strong engine (at least the v8,) but after replacing the radiator, hoses, two window pulleys, and observing the growing number of mechanical squeaks, creaks, and pops, it has taken the fun out of the car.

--------------

This has been another fine contribution from Captain Craptastic.

2014 Harley Street Glide
'08 Brass Balls Bobber
'04 KTM 625 SMC
'78 Honda CB750K (soon to be mated to sidecar)
'07 SSR 125
'99 BMW K1200RS (SOLD)
'95 Honda Z50R (donated to a buddy)
'89 CR500R (SOLD)
'83 Honda CB1100F (SOLD)
'82 Honda CB750F (SOLD)
Unread
  (#11)
Your Ad Here

July 18, 2012, 11:39 AM

Also, OP if you're seriously looking at used luxury German sedans you should check out the VW Phaeton.

That car was over engineered in every way much like the MBs of the 80s. It's price on the used market it not reflective of its quality, intrinsic value, or reliability but more so that it has a "Volkswagen" badge slapped on it.

What many do not know is that 80% of the car is sourced for/from the Bentley Continental GT.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

Last edited by Heist; July 18, 2012 at 11:41 AM..
Unread
  (#12)
Your Ad Here

July 18, 2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbett View Post
I can't wait to trade in my '01 BMW X5 with 120K miles. It's been nickle and diming me since about 100K miles. I don't think I would keep one past 80K miles if I planned to do it again (and I don't.) Needlessly-complex plastic components disintegrate and warp (coolant reservoir, tail light pods) Fun to drive, strong engine (at least the v8,) but after replacing the radiator, hoses, two window pulleys, and observing the growing number of mechanical squeaks, creaks, and pops, it has taken the fun out of the car.
The general rule with most all BMW's produced before the end of the Chris Bangle era is once it hits ~100K on the clock, either plan to get ride of it or spend 10% of the original sticker price on repairs and component replacement every 2 years or so.

What BMW gets absolutely right - more right than any other brand in the non-exotic market is the 6-cyclinder engine, chassis and steering feedback. The total driving dynamics of the car.

Everything is else is supplier orientated and a toss up. Bosch has been the bane of this brand since when I owned a 318 in the early 90s. The constantly are the source of many of the reliability problems in BMWs. I cannot understand why they haven't used Magnetti or Infineon.

Last edited by Heist; July 18, 2012 at 12:11 PM..
Unread
  (#13)
GP Champ

July 18, 2012, 12:31 PM

Get a (used, fresh) Audi, they have been considered better than Merc and BMW for the last 10 years in EU. Resale value sucks vagina (they still have bad name in the US for some weird reason), but that's a plus when buying used.

2011 Ducati Diavel Chromo (Current)
2007 BMW R1200GS Adventure (Current)
2006 BMW R1200ST
2003 BMW K1200GT (Current)
2004 Ducati 998s Final Edition (Current)
1997 Aprilia RS250
1998 BMW K1200RS
2000 Ducati 998
1998 Pegaso 650
1999 Ducati 996S
2004 BMW R1150R
2005 Aprilia RSVR Factory
2001 Triumph Tiger 955i
2002 Yamaha FZ1
2006 Buell Ulysses
1991 Suzuki GSX-1100R
1991 Honda Africa Twin 750
2008 Mobster Lefty Trophy pitbike
2004 Aprilia RSVR Factory
1990 Aprilia Pegaso 125
1991 Ducati 888
1995 Honda CR250
1996 Aprilia RS125
1995 Aprilia Sr 50
1984 Kram-it 50
Unread
  (#14)
Your Ad Here

July 18, 2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoallafila View Post
Get a (used, fresh) Audi, they have been considered better than Merc and BMW for the last 10 years in EU. Resale value sucks vagina (they still have bad name in the US for some weird reason), but that's a plus when buying used.
I concur and confirm.
Audi's name still has a bad taste due to the 5000 sudden acceleration problems of the 80's and they did not promote themselves as strongly in the US in the mid-90's when ze Germans changed course and philosophy about their brand presence, and decided to stop being aristocratic and run TV and Radio Ads.

Unread
  (#15)
Silence... I keeeel you

July 18, 2012, 12:57 PM

Selling the Viper and getting a 7? No gusta holmes. Keep the Viper.

Then again... That's just me.

On the internet... Everyone is an expert.

And now...The dancing Banana: