DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 484
6 members and 478 guests
CCS762ZX6, Sal_the_man, Scot, Slider, tonetone, TTViper
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Anyone play guitar?
Unread
  (#1)
I'm an Asshole

Anyone play guitar? - June 22, 2006, 01:09 PM

Hey guys,
I took up the acoustic guitar about two months ago. I've had an old takamine laying around, and just decided to teach myself via the internet. Anyway, I've progressed to the point where I think I'm ready to play an electric. Now here is where I need your help. I know that I need a guitar and amp. But is there anything else? How much is it for your average beginner electric? Can you buy in guitar/amp bundles? I'm looking to spend around 300, new or used. I don't know many of the brands except yamaha and fender. So can anyone give me some recommendations?

Also, what if any is the difference between acoustic and electric. Will it take a while to adjust my playing?

OH, and somethine else to mention is that I'd like to be able to hook the guitar up to my digital audio input on my iMac so I could use Garage Band to make some tunes. The digital input is a 3.5 mil jack, but I've never seen the cord so Idk if its a special kind or what. If you could enlighten me about that, I'd appreciate it too.

Grassy Ass.

If you can read this, give me a red dot
If you get mad when I type, do us both a favor.

Some recent rep I have been given:
-U-R-Gay (unsigned)
-you dont even ride you troll (unsigned)
-you are now 115% gay, ghey, and ghay (unsigned)
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to griffindj Send a message via Skype™ to griffindj 
Unread
  (#2)
Happiness Consultant

June 22, 2006, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffindj
I know that I need a guitar and amp. But is there anything else?
cables to connect guitar to amp

Quote:
How much is it for your average beginner electric? Can you buy in guitar/amp bundles? I'm looking to spend around 300, new or used.
certainly doable - 300 for both? or 300 each. I could probably sell you my old Crate and Cort guitar for that.

Quote:
I don't know many of the brands except yamaha and fender. So can anyone give me some recommendations?
not getting a Fender or a Yamaha electric guitar for 300 - if u do its used like hell or the seller is stupid.

take a look at Ibanez and Epiphone guitars and Crate amps.

Quote:
Also, what if any is the difference between acoustic and electric. Will it take a while to adjust my playing?
would need to know how you play before i could answer that.

Quote:
OH, and somethine else to mention is that I'd like to be able to hook the guitar up to my digital audio input on my iMac so I could use Garage Band to make some tunes. The digital input is a 3.5 mil jack, but I've never seen the cord so Idk if its a special kind or what. If you could enlighten me about that, I'd appreciate it too.
not sure about this - last time i recorded it was with a full rack mounted system. This is probably a midi plug, your amp or pre-amp will have to have this.

oh and to answer your question about playing - I've been playing since March 1986.

DBR
#135, #47, Vega
--
"Never contract friendship with a man that is not better than thyself." - Confucius

Will pay to see this
whatever henry's name is these days: jason, seriously, im going to kick your face in when I get back
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to EduardoSuave  
Unread
  (#3)
Retired to most ...

June 22, 2006, 06:32 PM

Get cables to conect the guitar to the amp. You might also want to consider a distortion pedal to plug in betwen the guitar and amp if you want to play songs which require both clean and distorted sounds. If you get one of those you'll need an extra chord.

Yes they make beginer amp and guitar packs but they are pretty cheap and have horrible sound not to mention that they do not last very long. For $300 you can get a pretty decent Ibanez or Epiphone guitar and as Ed mentioned a crate amp runs pretty cheap and they work great.

You will find that playing the electric will be easier since the neck is thinner and the action tends to be a good deal lower making easier to play.

I think the 3.5 jack will fit a normal chord just fine but if not they do make adapters for it to fit.

I've been playing since I was 7.

God Speed Jeff! You'll never be forgotten.

BOOSTZX3 : in all seriousness head injuries ain't no joke. I've had around 10 concussions and now I ride a Buell Don't let it happen to you!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to JohnnySpeed1KRR  
Unread
  (#4)
Ling Long

June 23, 2006, 08:35 AM

If your'e just practicing, no point in getting a full sized amp. Get a waist amp. They're small and plug into your headphones so you won't bother anyone else.

Depends on the type of accoustic you have. If you have a classical guitar, yeah it's going to be a big difference...

If you have a les paul acc and get a les paul... then you'll just have to learn how to carry over the pick ups.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to YaoMatt Send a message via AIM to YaoMatt Send a message via MSN to YaoMatt  
Unread
  (#5)
Riding is like Sex. WEEE!

June 23, 2006, 08:46 AM

Some Guitars:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...tar?sku=515432

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...tar?sku=519417

AMPS:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...Amp?sku=480723

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...mbo?sku=482244

Don't go too cheap on the Amp... You will outgrow some crap combo amp in 1 month

If you want to come over and check out my Guitar and Half-Stack Amp let me know.

When you buy the amp it will come with the cable.

Guitar is the same as acoustic, but you can only play van halen type tapping and solos on an electric.

"Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside."

"I don't like being famous - it is like a prison. And driving for Ferrari would make it far worse."

"I race to win. If I am on the bike or in a car it will always be the same."

"I'm Valentino Rossi. And I want to be a person, not an icon."

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Rossi Send a message via AIM to Rossi Send a message via Skype™ to Rossi 
Unread
  (#6)
Happiness Consultant

June 23, 2006, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
Guitar is the same as acoustic, but you can only play van halen type tapping and solos on an electric.
You might want to listen to 'Spanish Fly' off of the Van Halen II album then - I think that was Eddie's way of saying "I can do it on an acoustic too"

Dave, just remember - you get what you pay for. I've been playing way to long to suggest anything inexpensive. Most of the equipment I have now is gig/studio quality. I have had a lot of luck with the Ibanez guitars and my main guitar these days is an Ibanez Artcore so that one that Adrian/Rossi suggested would get my vote over the Washburn.

one other thing - stock up on picks, I lose the shit out of these things.

DBR
#135, #47, Vega
--
"Never contract friendship with a man that is not better than thyself." - Confucius

Will pay to see this
whatever henry's name is these days: jason, seriously, im going to kick your face in when I get back
Unread
  (#7)
Retired to most ...

June 23, 2006, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Ever put light nickel strings on an accoustic that has ajustable action and lower the action?? You can do taps a pull offs ect ect just like an electric.

BOOSTZX3 : in all seriousness head injuries ain't no joke. I've had around 10 concussions and now I ride a Buell Don't let it happen to you!
Unread
  (#8)
GP Racer

June 23, 2006, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t51spl
If your'e just practicing, no point in getting a full sized amp. Get a waist amp. They're small and plug into your headphones so you won't bother anyone else.

come on now were talking about griffin his sole intention is to bother and or annoy

Rampage "Why you got one shoe on and one shoe off?"
Rashad "Cause i was ready to break one off in your mother****ing ass!"
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to FUNx1000  
Unread
  (#9)
Riding is like Sex. WEEE!

June 23, 2006, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EduardoSuave
You might want to listen to 'Spanish Fly' off of the Van Halen II album then - I think that was Eddie's way of saying "I can do it on an acoustic too"

Well none us are Eddie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyJinx
Ever put light nickel strings on an accoustic that has ajustable action and lower the action?? You can do taps a pull offs ect ect just like an electric.
Can you do pinch harmonics? STFU

Like Ed said I own an Ibanez, and they are good, but I did play that Washburn and I was surprised at the sound too.

"Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside."

"I don't like being famous - it is like a prison. And driving for Ferrari would make it far worse."

"I race to win. If I am on the bike or in a car it will always be the same."

"I'm Valentino Rossi. And I want to be a person, not an icon."

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Rossi Send a message via AIM to Rossi Send a message via Skype™ to Rossi 
Unread
  (#10)
Retired to most ...

June 23, 2006, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Can you do pinch harmonics? STFU
I can on an electric accoustic!! Now STFU!!

Unread
  (#11)
GP Racer

June 23, 2006, 11:05 AM

one more thing then im done jackin this thread,,,,

griffin i gots 1 piece of advice for ya?

if your woman advice thread plays into affect here and im assuming she left cause ur an ass and shes not giving you any play.... you should hold off on trying to play the guitar pal....Why u ask????

BECAUSE YOUR HANDS ARE GONNA B TO BUSY TO HAVE TIME TO PLAY GUITAR!!!!

Last edited by FUNx1000; June 23, 2006 at 11:09 AM..
Unread
  (#12)
GP Racer

June 23, 2006, 11:46 AM

That's the best reason to play guitar is to get play...

2006 Black ZX-10
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#13)
Owner of the Site Owner

June 23, 2006, 12:23 PM

fender squire + amp and case and all that = 300

-

I tow 747s

"gixrB: I like it hard, with a lot of feel"
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#14)
Happiness Consultant

June 23, 2006, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Well none us are Eddie.
my point is that it could be done. and in certain circles, I'm known as Eddie

Quote:
Can you do pinch harmonics?
yup. Natural Harmonics too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funx1000
one more thing then im done jackin this thread,,,,
Bill, I can certainly understand why you have some anomosity with Dave - his thread jacking of yours was asinine; however in reading your posts over the years, I don't think you can lower yourself to the level you need in order to match him. I hope you stop trying .. hopefully you understand what I'm saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flylan
That's the best reason to play guitar is to get play...
that only opens the door, gotta have game to walk in.

and .... back to topic.

DBR
#135, #47, Vega
--

Will pay to see this
Unread
  (#15)
GP Racer

June 23, 2006, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EduardoSuave
my point is that it could be done. and in certain circles, I'm known as Eddie

Bill, I can certainly understand why you have some anomosity with Dave - his thread jacking of yours was asinine; however in reading your posts over the years, I don't think you can lower yourself to the level you need in order to match him. I hope you stop trying .. hopefully you understand what I'm saying.

NO NO ed not trying to get even just fuggin with him to let him know there were no hard feelings and that its all in fun as usual and he knows that.