DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 523
5 members and 518 guests
davidcycle, GRN96WS6, Sal_the_man, Speed3, TTViper
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Anyone spent time as a Civilian contractor in the GreenZone?
Unread
  (#1)
Go Team Venture!!!

Anyone spent time as a Civilian contractor in the GreenZone? - April 14, 2009, 06:26 PM

I am interviewing for a civilian job which will possibly take me to Iraq for about a year. Trying to get an understanding of what to expect. I've been to the sandbox but never into the greenzone. This job would have me restricted to the greenzone except when flying. What's it like there?
Living quarters
Food
Entertainment
shopping
mail
etc????

"Whore Force One" pilot
The Whitest of White Boys
Not 40 yet!
The Force is strong in this one
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Jedi Send a message via AIM to Jedi Send a message via MSN to Jedi  
Unread
  (#2)
Officially Addicted to Posting

April 14, 2009, 07:28 PM

Sharon and i know a couple people who work for triple canopy. One of them is over there right now. She loves it. And im sure no one has to tell u abt the money contactors make. I can ask her to reach out to you if you shoot me your email.

Im sure this doesnt apply to all areas, but i was talking to a guy i work with who was a soldier over there...he is a private contactor now. I was talking to him abt the contactor positions available there and what its like for them ( in the "safe" zones)...not sure how much truth there is to this, but he said there really werent any safe spots. Just some more safe than others. He said one day he was up in a tower talking to someone (in a safe zone) and 10 min after he left, a sniper took the guy's head off.

Last edited by JTG40cal; April 14, 2009 at 07:30 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Go Team Venture!!!

April 14, 2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG40cal View Post
Sharon and i know a couple people who work for triple canopy. One of them is over there right now. She loves it. And im sure no one has to tell u abt the money contactors make. I can ask her to reach out to you if you shoot me your email.

Im sure this doesnt apply to all areas, but i was talking to a guy i work with who was a soldier over there...he is a private contactor now. I was talking to him abt the contactor positions available there and what its like for them ( in the "safe" zones)...not sure how much truth there is to this, but he said there really werent any safe spots. Just some more safe than others. He said one day he was up in a tower talking to someone (in a safe zone) and 10 min after he left, a sniper took the guy's head off.
Yeah, that's kinda what I have heard as well. I have also heard many of the contractors over there are the bottom of the barrel. I've heard some pretty horrible stories about the work ethic (or lack there of) from the contractors. I've also heard it's one big party unless you are in a combat role. PM sent.

"Whore Force One" pilot
The Whitest of White Boys
Not 40 yet!
The Force is strong in this one
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Jedi Send a message via AIM to Jedi Send a message via MSN to Jedi  
?
Unread
  (#4)
"?"

? - April 14, 2009, 07:44 PM

I have heard good things, and bad things! Like JT said if you asked 10 different people you are going to 10 different answers! My aunt was over there for 2 years hell in fact my grannie went over there to visit her they loved it! I have spoke to friends that i grew up with that have said aside from the money it sucked! If you get the job be safe!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
Officially Addicted to Posting

April 15, 2009, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
Yeah, that's kinda what I have heard as well. I have also heard many of the contractors over there are the bottom of the barrel. I've heard some pretty horrible stories about the work ethic (or lack there of) from the contractors. I've also heard it's one big party unless you are in a combat role. PM sent.
From what our friend with Triple Canopy says...they work hard and they play harder. T.C. has a pretty wide scope over there and she is doing more infrastructure type work rather than protective details. She was going over for a few, month-long stints and then coming home for a few months. She liked it so much that she recently accepted a longer term detail. She has gotten to travel all over the place while she is there. They go to Dubai alot. She said that place is like South Beach. Ill pass your info along to her right now.
Unread
  (#6)
The last urrbendah

April 15, 2009, 07:42 AM

PM DUC999

13 KTM 200 XC-W
15 KTM 350 XC-F

I might have a dirt bike problem.
Unread
  (#7)
Like a clown car on fire

April 15, 2009, 08:27 AM

Back at my old job, they were planning on sending me so I took the whole 'Iraq training" and briefing, but the plans to send me fell through, never actually went. From what I remember, in the green zone you're most likely OK, except for high profile or elevation spots, such as on top of towers or walls. The most dangerous part for anyone is the 8 or so mile drive between the airport and the green zone, roadside IED's galore. The living was communal, almost like barracks, you get a bunk and locker, you're in a big hall with like 50 others, communal bathrooms, cafeterias, etc. No word on the social aspect, but you stick a whole buncha relatively young and unattached folks together, you can probably find a good time, but I wouldn't expect to find bars, clubs, strip joints, etc.
Basically the living would be somewhere between military base and embassy. Shopping is probably restricted to comissary/ PX type stuff, and and any local establishments in the zone. Mail is the post office at the embassy, add 3 weeks to standard shipping time. Entertainment is whatever you can find, they probably have rec room type stuff, movie nights, etc, but bring some books and a laptop, hulu is your friend.

Now when i was briefed was shortly after Iraq was actually occupied and the green zone was getting established, so i'm sure things have gotten a bit better since then, but you shouldn't expect a walk in the park.

-Chloroform-
For when she doesn't know she wants it.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Thwack