DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 343
5 members and 338 guests
davidcycle, nootherids, Sal_the_man, Scot, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apple admitted it had been secretly throttling the performance of older iPhones
Unread
  (#1)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

Talking Apple admitted it had been secretly throttling the performance of older iPhones - December 21, 2017, 11:02 AM

Apple battery throttling gives customers a reason to distrust it - Business Insider

#NeverIphone

The Nightmare of Summit Point
WERA Nov# 325 / CCS # 326
2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) | 2011 ZX10RR(Race)
2011 R6 (Street & Track) | 2009 WR250F
GunnRunnaz.com|GR on FaceBook | www.2666ad.com|
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#2)
Your Ad Here

December 21, 2017, 02:12 PM

I saw this hit Reddit the other day. I didn't put full faith in it until the Geekbench charts were shown.

Informed consent is the over-arching issue here.

Apple is going to have a class action lawsuit on their hands for unfair trade practices and maybe even an FTC fine.

It's not that they were throttling performance of phones that is the problem - throttling is industry standard when the CPU exceeds certain heat limits or available power, but what is not industry standard is NOT notifying the user that they're being throttled down and putting information in the release notes as to the circumstances when this takes place or that this is the condition the phone will be in until the battery is replaced.

I was one of the people who upgraded my device (which I was perfectly happy with despite its age) because I was led to believe a combination of the latest version of iOS had processor loads, along with declining available storage, and general wear was neutering the performance of my phone.

$700 isn't going to spike my retirement plans but knowing the real cure was a $70 solution .... it feels like Apple pulled a total shyster move through their tactic consent of alternative fact.

I find it a suspension of intelligence to believe the cabal of brilliant business minds at Apple did not see total radio silence (ne' deception) on the matter was advantageous; the byproduct of their information suppression would induce millions to believe a device upgrade was needed ($700+) vs. a simple battery replacement ($50-75).

That established, Von, if you think Android isn't programming in the same sort of speed governing with their power sapping, 8-Quadacatacore CPU devices - you'd be lying to yourself? The millisecond it sees a voltage insufficiency condition under load, it's shutting down cores and neutering clock speeds. Trust.

The question is Android notifying its owners that this is what they are doing?

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

December 21, 2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
I saw this hit Reddit the other day. I didn't put full faith in it until the Geekbench charts were shown.

Informed consent is the over-arching issue here.

Apple is going to have a class action lawsuit on their hands for unfair trade practices and maybe even an FTC fine.

It's not that they were throttling performance of phones that is the problem - throttling is industry standard when the CPU exceeds certain heat limits or available power, but what is not industry standard is NOT notifying the user that they're being throttled down and putting information in the release notes as to the circumstances when this takes place or that this is the condition the phone will be in until the battery is replaced.

I was one of the people who upgraded my device (which I was perfectly happy with despite its age) because I was led to believe a combination of the latest version of iOS had processor loads, along with declining available storage, and general wear was neutering the performance of my phone.

$700 isn't going to spike my retirement plans but knowing the real cure was a $70 solution .... it feels like Apple pulled a total shyster move through their tactic consent of alternative fact.

I find it a suspension of intelligence to believe the cabal of brilliant business minds at Apple did not see total radio silence (ne' deception) on the matter was advantageous; the byproduct of their information suppression would induce millions to believe a device upgrade was needed ($700+) vs. a simple battery replacement ($50-75).

That established, Von, if you think Android isn't programming in the same sort of speed governing with their power sapping, 8-Quadacatacore CPU devices - you'd be lying to yourself? The millisecond it sees a voltage insufficiency condition under load, it's shutting down cores and neutering clock speeds. Trust.

The question is Android notifying its owners that this is what they are doing?
My gf had same issues...
the store told her to upgrade the ios...then later the phone acted like shit.
lol.

I am sure android and verizon is doing the same shit. Ive had about 7 phones in the last 7 years. They run perfect until a new model come out and verizon push a new OS to the phone...with no way to not accept it.
then the issues start...low battery life..app failure all kinds of shit. there always seem to be a sweet point in the phone life... when its new for almost a year until a newer model comes out...about 3 to 4 months after the new model comes out my current one acts up.
I had the note 7... we know how that went ... so i got a Edge 7. shit was so fucking good....until this summer. small problems started after the first OS update...then more updates and more problems.

Id give my phone a 7 out of 10 as far as issue wise. when I got it i would say a 9.5 out of 10.

I do not use a bunch of apps. I carry a low data plan (2 GB).
I have about 12 apps on my phone...use maybe 6 but less than 4 daily.

The Nightmare of Summit Point
WERA Nov# 325 / CCS # 326
2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) | 2011 ZX10RR(Race)
2011 R6 (Street & Track) | 2009 WR250F
GunnRunnaz.com|GR on FaceBook | www.2666ad.com|
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#4)
Your Ad Here

December 21, 2017, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonstallin View Post

I do not use a bunch of apps. I carry a low data plan (2 GB).
I have about 12 apps on my phone...use maybe 6 but less than 4 daily.
I'm the same user profile type. Not a power user.

I have a minimum data plan (4GB) because Wifi is just about everywhere I'll be throughout the month and if I need more, I'll buy more a la carte.

Apps, maybe about 20, maybe five of which get used daily. The rest are situational or causal use apps.

Be that as it may, zero excuses for Apple on this. I hope a class action is filed. Apple has been smelling themselves a bit too much lately and it's time get humbled again.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

Unread
  (#5)
Meh

December 22, 2017, 07:35 AM

I would imagine they have a suite coming there way.

As someone using a 5C, I wonder if the OS updates and slow-down protocols extend that far down the line.

I will have two new phones for work pretty soon so I might be a Samsung convert here pretty soon with the Note 8.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#6)
Your Ad Here

December 22, 2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHatch View Post
I would imagine they have a suite coming there way.

As someone using a 5C, I wonder if the OS updates and slow-down protocols extend that far down the line.

I will have two new phones for work pretty soon so I might be a Samsung convert here pretty soon with the Note 8.
5C probably not, but only because it's an abandoned platform. Not eligible for any updates.