DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 564
3 members and 561 guests
fxc3700, nootherids, Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apple router info
Unread
  (#1)
GP Champ

Apple router info - January 19, 2015, 02:12 PM

Anyone have any experience with the new Airport Extreme (6th generation)?

I have a Buffalo WZR-600 DHP. 802.11g/n. Its okay but I got ac devices and this router is a bitch to setup a guest network. Not an out the box setup. Instructions are out there and they work for about 30 minutes then I need to reset the whole router.

Ive used the 5th generation of the airport extreme. I know the AE doesn't have all the bells and whistles as DD-WRT firmware but simplicity is better.

My only grip is the price. $184 and the fact that based on time (and the fact they release a new version every 2 years), there is set to be another version this year.

Any advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonstallin View Post
Stinky:
Im so excited im about to pre-blast in my pants.....then....it hits me...
I smell her arm pits and i damn near threw up!!!!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to hfam95 Send a message via AIM to hfam95  
Unread
  (#2)
Groping is a skill...

January 19, 2015, 02:50 PM

I have the 6th gen, I use it, and I love it... but I know it's not the best router to use if you have a complicated home network since they limit the amount of customization you can do on it.

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
GP Champ

January 19, 2015, 03:04 PM

Right now, I dont have any complicated setup. Not doing QOS, VPN, port forwarding. Worse case is I use the Apple router for DHCP and wireless and use the fios router for QOS or port forwarding if I ever need to.

I just know if I put the AE in bridge mode, I lose guest networking. So plain and simple is the way to go. Just don't like that price point nor the fact that Apple might release a 7th generation soon (well July time frame)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonstallin View Post
Stinky:
Im so excited im about to pre-blast in my pants.....then....it hits me...
I smell her arm pits and i damn near threw up!!!!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to hfam95 Send a message via AIM to hfam95  
Unread
  (#4)
Your Ad Here

January 19, 2015, 03:11 PM

I just bought a Asus RT-68u last week (well actually Tmobile gave it to me for free as part of their Wifi calling promotion) and love it! Simple to set-up and modify. Intelligently added a feature where you can turn the polling and activity lights OFF.

Easily to follow UI and it was one of the few 3rd Party routers that easily bridged into the Verizon Actiontec router which, if using FIOS's TV service, you must maintain in the chain because of the set-tops boxes need to connect to its coax output for On Demand and Guide data. (MoCA).
I set the wireless radio on the ActionTec to "off" so there's no interference or cross talk with the Asus.

Currently have the Asus set up to broadcast three networks ... 5.0ghz, 2.4ghz, and a 2.4 Guest.

The 5.0 range is more than acceptable (5.0 isn't as good at penetration of solid barriers and walls) , but the 2.4's is otherworldly. I can be at the end of my block - nearly 85-100 yards away - and will pick up fringe coverage on my phone. Found this out the other day when I was carrying on a conversation via FaceTime Audio over IP (but forgot) walked out the house, got in the car, and was on the next block before the call broke up and dropped.

The (Crap)tionTec router gave me coverage up to about 15 yards in front of my house.

Asus recently released a more powerful model that surpasses the 68. 78 I think? It has 4 antennas and looks like Stealth fighter or a Mecha head from a manga. I read its one of, if not the best, consumer grade wireless router on the market at the moment.

Apple of course produces a solid router in the airplay, especially if you pair it up with an integrated HD for automatic Time Machine backups, but again it comes with a bit of a lip biting premium. Beautiful piece of equipment though. One of the few routers you don't want to shove in a dark corner or hide out of view.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Last edited by Heist; January 19, 2015 at 03:16 PM..
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

January 19, 2015, 03:30 PM

Linksys routers offer a fairly easy to configure guest network and they are one of the more difficult routers for me to 'hack' in to. With the apple you just need the Airport Utility to enable/configure guest access.

I like my Aiport Extreme but I'll be transitioning back to a Linksys fairly soon.

Whatever you do, NEVER BUY A BELKIN.

-Ryan

Last edited by Dark; January 19, 2015 at 03:36 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#6)
Your Ad Here

January 19, 2015, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
Linksys routers offer a fairly easy to configure guest network and they are one of the more difficult routers for me to 'hack' in to. With the apple you just need the Airport Utility to enable/configure guest access.

I like my Aiport Extreme but I'll be transitioning back to a Linksys fairly soon.

Whatever you do, NEVER BUY A BELKIN.
I second this.
Had a Belkin about a decade ago. It ran frightening warm all the time.
By month 6, I had to reset the thing 3-4x a week.

Next time I know not to buy electronic products from a company whose headquarters is in Compton.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

Unread
  (#7)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

January 20, 2015, 05:18 AM

The quality of Belkin is one thing but the issue is that with the MAC and Serial off a belkin you can run it through a simple script to get its WPS code. It's the easiest of routers to hack, by far.

-Ryan
Unread
  (#8)
GP Champ

January 20, 2015, 07:38 AM

Speaking of router hacking I've got a slightly older ASUS router, RT-N66U, with updated stock firmware. I'm using the VPN function with the No-IP service. This works great but I wonder just how secure it is...
Unread
  (#9)
I came I saw I shat mysef

January 20, 2015, 10:45 AM

I've never understood.. What does having an airport router get you that other routers don't have? (sorry, have just never used one)...

Just get something with reliable hardware and put dd-wrt on it. I picked up a TP-Link wdr3600 (after reading good reviews on its wifi connection stability) for 60$ threw dd-wrt on it and it hasn't had a hiccup in 9 months of continuous hard use. My macs work with it beautifully.

-john
wera, ccs - novice # 979 - sv650
Aprilia Falco (sold), Gs500 (sold), KTM300 (sold)

"I'll believe corporations are people when Texas executes one of them."

Separation of Corp. And State!

R.I.P Alex Lyskawa - My heart will never heal from your passing.

Last edited by jron; January 20, 2015 at 10:51 AM..
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to jron  
Unread
  (#10)
Your Ad Here

January 20, 2015, 12:08 PM

It's not what you get, it's what you don't get - headaches trying to configure it all.

Apple does a great job at out the box, ease of use for non-technical people and providing pretty clear, understandable laymans language for the parts that may be somewhat technical.

Unread
  (#11)
Chasing the dragon

January 20, 2015, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
It's not what you get, it's what you don't get - headaches trying to configure it all.

Apple does a great job at out the box, ease of use for non-technical people and providing pretty clear, understandable laymans language for the parts that may be somewhat technical.
This. Apple is awesome because it follows the KISS principle but gives you enough power to do shit IF you want. With that said, I do have a house full of Apple devices, random home media devices, and Cisco stuff connected to a Netgear R7000 router running DD-WRT.

BTW, my manager got us some Buffalo NAS with some extra money at work. These bitches suck! Not a fan of the firmware, I'd guess the router isn't much better...

As far as the price, it's on par with a lot of the high end routers from ASUS, Netgear, Linksys, etc. And don't think about it being obsolete in a year or two. Everything is "obsolete" in a year or two. As long as it works, DGAF.

More gas, less brake

Last edited by okayh; January 20, 2015 at 01:38 PM..
Unread
  (#12)
SRWJTS Recruiter

January 20, 2015, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okayh View Post
Everything is "obsolete" in a year or two. As long as it works, DGAF.

I actually JUST replaced my Linksys WRT54G back in October. Was rocking that thing for 8+ years. Replaced it with a ASUS RT-AC68U.

"Remember you may love your bike but your bike doesn't love you and that bitch will kill you the first time you do her wrong."

MARRC Cornerworker
http://www.marrc.org/

2010 Triumph Daytona 675 SE
2006 Yamaha R6 - Anniversary Edition - SOLD
2005 Yamaha R6 - SOLD
2001 Yamaha YZF600R - SOLD
Unread
  (#13)
I came I saw I shat mysef

January 21, 2015, 12:34 AM

ya, Buffalo and Belkin.... stay away.. both are real crap.

$175 for a router.... Apple makes good stuff but.. OUCH! lol, for me I couldn't care less about "works out of the box" since the first thing I do is throw dd-wrt on everything so the out of the box goes right out of the window.. I don't have any devices that use more than N so there's no point in getting one of the more expensive AC routers as yet.

I will say that with my TP-Link and dd-wrt I haven't dropped a single wifi connection from my laptop in 9 months of ~ 16 hours a day usage.

-john
wera, ccs - novice # 979 - sv650
Aprilia Falco (sold), Gs500 (sold), KTM300 (sold)

"I'll believe corporations are people when Texas executes one of them."

Separation of Corp. And State!

R.I.P Alex Lyskawa - My heart will never heal from your passing.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to jron  
Unread
  (#14)
Your Ad Here

January 21, 2015, 02:11 AM

^^^but you're far beyond the average consumer. Ask 85% of the population what dd-wrt is and you'll get a Kanye shrug as your answer.

Unread
  (#15)
Cager

January 21, 2015, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
^^^but you're far beyond the average consumer. Ask 85% of the population what dd-wrt is and you'll get a Kanye shrug as your answer.
Me!

I had to google up dd-wrt. seems pretty cool. How hard is it to install the dd-wrt into the router? And it basically will take over the router's firmware?

I am moving to an apartment in less than 45 days and my roommate will be taking his airport extreme with him. I am gonna have to buy a new router and hope that it works well. I got Actiontec wifi router by Verizon which was beyond horrible. My roommate, Jon, got the airport extreme and we never looked back. Now that I am moving on my separate way with my fiancee, I dont think we want to spend $175 on a wireless router

-J. Beaver
--bike-less for now