DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 529
2 members and 527 guests
davidcycle, GRN96WS6
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
ApplePay info for Devs
Unread
  (#1)
Site ADMIN

ApplePay info for Devs - September 16, 2014, 10:39 AM

If you are curious about and want more detail in the security for the new ApplePay system.

Check out this thread in the blackberry forums. Guy seems to have some pretty good insider knowledge from the banking side of the house.

Apple Pay: I can't stop laughing - Page 6 - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

I started a new thread b/c this "could" be a significant improvement for paying merchants.

Discuss...

• Banks are very interested in protecting their bank-client relationship. With Apple Pay, transactional information and credit/debit card numbers are only known by the card-issuing bank and Visa/MC/Amex. For banks, they dislike unnecessary parties being involved. With the way Apple Pay is set up, Apple will not be able to track transactions or know card numbers as a unique token is generated for each card that is added. Only recent transaction information is stored only on the phone, although I'm unsure of the duration. Merchants know there was a transaction, but don't know the actual credit/debit numbers used or even the name of the person. The only way for t
  • The current implementation of Google Wallet is only beneficial to Google. He made sure to bring up Google's ability to track transactions as well as their storage of credit/debit card numbers as to why banks dislike Google Wallet. For banks, it's the choice of paying either a certain percentage (I read 0.15%) of all transactions or giving up valuable information about their clients. Not a hard choice to make at all.
  • Softcard/Isis is a terrible solution as they involve mobile carriers. As history has taught us, they are terrible at providing updates. Their implementations tend to be problematic and against the best interest of consumers such as their app stores and the junk they have placed on phones.
  • Banks have a massive incentive for customers to use Apple Pay. It looks they were very involved in the Apple Pay design process and worked overtime to make sure they were ready for rollout. They may actually offer rewards or promotions in the future to encourage its use.
  • Apple Pay required massive infrastructure changes as well as new encryption methods from banks and credit card networks due to the use of tokens. Bank and Visa/MC/Amex employees involved with Apple Pay worked under constant overtime and the utmost security for a year just to prepare. In the US, Apple Pay is a massive change for NFC and anyone who says NFC has already been done is ignorant in assuming it's the same.
TL;DR: Apple Pay provides valuable customer data information only to those who should be involved, why involve Google or any other third party? Carriers suck, as expected. Banks invested significant amounts of time with Apple on Apple Pay and may offer promotions to encourage its use.

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#2)
Your Ad Here

September 16, 2014, 11:43 AM

Follow-up questions:
(1) Google's implementation, wouldn't it violate certain FDIC and Banking Privacy Laws? Banks trading off transaction & ID information in exchange for a free reduction.

(2) If Apple Pay required a new encryption and token method that banks and financial intermediaries worked on, why wouldn't they roll out the same encryption mechanisms for ATM and Credit Cards?

(3) I'm still not sold on NFC taking off.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Site ADMIN

September 16, 2014, 11:58 AM

I think the simple answer is $$. They dont want to spend it unless they got something to generate the money back.

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#4)
SRWJTS Recruiter

September 16, 2014, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
(3) I'm still not sold on NFC taking off.
This

"Remember you may love your bike but your bike doesn't love you and that bitch will kill you the first time you do her wrong."

MARRC Cornerworker
http://www.marrc.org/

2010 Triumph Daytona 675 SE
2006 Yamaha R6 - Anniversary Edition - SOLD
2005 Yamaha R6 - SOLD
2001 Yamaha YZF600R - SOLD
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
SaS
Sas pronounced Sauce.

September 16, 2014, 12:13 PM

You don't need to be sold on NFC taking off. It already has. Look at Europe. They have the ability to pay using NFC everywhere. I think it's great. I will be using my Apple Watch and carrying my Coin card as a back-up so I can hopefully slim down my wallet even more.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#6)
Site ADMIN

September 16, 2014, 12:37 PM

The fact that banks have apparently invested so much labor into this way of making payments says a lot...

ill be getting the watch as well so i look forward to making my payments this way.

Alex
13 Honda Fury
Unread
  (#7)
Your Ad Here

September 16, 2014, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaS View Post
You don't need to be sold on NFC taking off. It already has. Look at Europe. They have the ability to pay using NFC everywhere. I think it's great. I will be using my Apple Watch and carrying my Coin card as a back-up so I can hopefully slim down my wallet even more.
Look at Soccer and F1 here in America.
NFC is big in Europe and Asia.
I'm not sold that it will catch fire here in the US. It's been fettered about in various forms for over a decade. I remember the first implementation in the Exxon/Mobile Speedpay keychain dongle. Then came EZPass toll modules in NYC to get over the bridges and tunnels.

Fast forward 15 years and its adoption has still be low level at best.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

Unread
  (#8)
Your Ad Here

September 16, 2014, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
The fact that banks have apparently invested so much labor into this way of making payments says a lot... ill be getting the watch as well so i look forward to making my payments this way.
I think banks are growing tired of being burned in dipping/skimming scams and wanted to invest in something with a deep pocketed partner that avoided the mutli-billion dollar development, rollout, and replacement of our current magnetic strip cards for the more secure chip & pin system.

ApplePay info for Devs
Unread
  (#9)
Site ADMIN

ApplePay info for Devs - September 16, 2014, 07:15 PM

Which is why I think it will catch on faster and better than the examples you listed above.

Alex
13 Honda Fury