DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 562
3 members and 559 guests
davidcycle, Sal_the_man, Speed3
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
An appropriate honor for a truly unique President.
Unread
  (#1)
singin sweet home alabama

Talking An appropriate honor for a truly unique President. - June 25, 2008, 09:32 AM

I can see these guys hatching this plan from a bar, guiness in hand: "BRILLIANT!"

An Honor That Bush Is Unlikely to Embrace
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/25/wa...us&oref=slogin

By JESSE McKINLEY
Published: June 25, 2008

SAN FRANCISCO — Reagan has his highways. Lincoln has his memorial. Washington has the capital (and a state, too). But President Bush may soon be the sole president to have a memorial named after him that you can contribute to from the bathroom.

From the Department of Damned-With-Faint-Praise, a group going by the regal-sounding name of the Presidential Memorial Commission of San Francisco is planning to ask voters here to change the name of a prize-winning water treatment plant on the shoreline to the George W. Bush Sewage Plant.

The plan, naturally hatched in a bar, would place a vote on the November ballot to provide “an appropriate honor for a truly unique president.”

Supporters say that they have plenty of signatures to qualify the initiative and that the renaming would fit in a long and proud American tradition of poking political figures in the eye.

“Most politicians tend to be narcissistic and egomaniacs,” said Brian McConnell, an organizer who regularly suits up as Uncle Sam to solicit signatures. “So it is important for satirists to help define their history rather than letting them define their own history.”

Not surprisingly, those Republicans in a city that voted 83 percent Democratic in 2004 are not thrilled with the idea. Howard Epstein, chairman of the ever-outnumbered San Francisco Republican Party, called the initiative “an abuse of process.”

“You got a bunch of guys drunk who came up with an idea,” Mr. Epstein said, “and want to put on the ballot as a big joke without regard to the city’s governance or cost.”

The renaming would take effect on Jan. 20, when the new president is sworn in. And regardless of the measure’s outcome, supporters plan to commemorate the inaugural with a synchronized flush of hundreds of thousands of San Francisco toilets, an action that would send a flood of water toward the plant, now called the Oceanside Water Pollution Control Plant.

“It’s a way of doing something physical that’s mentally freeing,” said Stacey Reineccius, 45, a software consultant and entrepreneur who supports the plan. “It’s a weird thing, but it’s true.”

"No race has ever been won in the first corner, but plenty have been lost there."
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to DvlsAdvc8  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ

June 25, 2008, 09:46 AM

It's funny
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Mommy's Little Monster

June 25, 2008, 10:01 AM

It's embarassing, childish, and despicable. Don't care what your political beliefs or views are. The President (regardless of party afilliation) is still the Commander In Chief and should still be shown respect.

I love my country dearly, but things like this, can at times make me feel ashamed to be an American.

2018 BMW R1200 GS
2016 Yamaha FJ-09
2014 Honda CB500X
2007 Suzuki DRZ 400SM
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600
Unread
  (#4)

June 25, 2008, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8nsanta
It's embarassing, childish, and despicable. Don't care what your political beliefs or views are. The President (regardless of party afilliation) is still the Commander In Chief and should still be shown respect.

I love my country dearly, but things like this, can at times make me feel ashamed to be an American.
There is a long tradition of satire in this country.

If you feel ashamed by this, you weren't very American to begin with.

"No race has ever been won in the first corner, but plenty have been lost there."
Unread
  (#5)
BE ENCOURAGED!

June 25, 2008, 10:06 AM

The 545 People Responsible For All Of U.S. Woes

BY Charley Reese

Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them.

Have you ever wondered why, if both the Democrats and the Republicans are against deficits, we have deficits? Have you ever wondered why, if all the politicians are against inflation and high taxes, we have inflation and high taxes?

You and I don't propose a federal budget. The president does. You and I don't have the Constitutional authority to vote on appropriations. The House of Representatives does. You and I don't write the tax code. Congress does. You and I don't set fiscal policy. Congress does. You and I don't control monetary policy. The Federal Reserve Bank does.

One hundred senators, 435 congressmen, one president and nine Supreme Court justices - 545 human beings out of the 235 million - are directly, legally, morally and individually responsible for the domestic problems that plague this country.

I excluded the members of the Federal Reserve Board because that problem was created by the Congress. In 1913, Congress delegated its Constitutional duty to provide a sound currency to a federally chartered but private central bank.

I excluded all but the special interests and lobbyists for a sound reason. They have no legal authority. They have no ability to coerce a senator, a congressman or a president to do one cotton-picking thing. I don't care if they offer a politician $1 million dollars in cash. The politician has the power to accept or reject it.

No matter what the lobbyist promises, it is the legislation's responsibility to determine how he votes.

A CONFIDENCE CONSPIRACY

Don't you see how the con game that is played on the people by the politicians? Those 545 human beings spend much of their energy convincing you that what they did is not their fault. They cooperate in this common con regardless of party.

What separates a politician from a normal human being is an excessive amount of gall. No normal human being would have the gall of Tip O'Neill, who stood up and criticized Ronald Reagan for creating deficits.

The president can only propose a budget. He cannot force the Congress to accept it. The Constitution, which is the supreme law of the land, gives sole responsibility to the House of Representatives for originating appropriations and taxes.

O'neill is the speaker of the House. He is the leader of the majority party. He and his fellow Democrats, not the president, can approve any budget they want. If the president vetos it, they can pass it over his veto.

REPLACE SCOUNDRELS

It seems inconceivable to me that a nation of 235 million cannot replace 545 people who stand convicted -- by present facts - of incompetence and irresponsibility.

I can't think of a single domestic problem, from an unfair tax code to defense overruns, that is not traceable directly to those 545 people.

When you fully grasp the plain truth that 545 people exercise power of the federal government, then it must follow that what exists is what they want to exist.

If the tax code is unfair, it's because they want it unfair. If the budget is in the red, it's because they want it in the red. If the Marines are in Lebanon, it's because they want them in Lebanon.

There are no insoluble government problems. Do not let these 545 people shift the blame to bureaucrats, whom they hire and whose jobs they can abolish; to lobbyists, whose gifts and advice they can reject; to regulators, to whom they give the power to regulate and from whom they can take it.

Above all, do not let them con you into the belief that there exist disembodied mystical forces like "the economy," "inflation" or "politics" that prevent them from doing what they take an oath to do.

Those 545 people and they alone are responsible. They and they alone have the power. They and they alone should be held accountable by the people who are their bosses - provided they have the gumption to manage their own employees.

This article was first published by the Orlando Sentinel Star newspaper

FOREVER #47 "Walking In The Echo...."
Are you a 'Secret Believer"? Do you Conceal your faith from your family, friends and co-workers? Isn't it about time to step out of hiding and let others know whom you follow?
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to GUZZ Send a message via Skype™ to GUZZ 
Unread
  (#6)

June 25, 2008, 10:16 AM

Guzz, you thread jacker you!

btw - they left out the vice-prez; he serves as president of the Senate and casts tiebreaking votes -- GUILTY!

Unread
  (#7)
Largely Unsupervised....

June 25, 2008, 10:34 AM

+1 for childish. Sounds like a plan hatched in a bar...and should have stayed there. Then again, woudn't expect anything less from San Francisco.

An excellent expenditure of political and human resources in a city free of issues that blight other major cities.. (sarcasm)

--------------

This has been another fine contribution from Captain Craptastic.

2014 Harley Street Glide
'08 Brass Balls Bobber
'04 KTM 625 SMC
'78 Honda CB750K (soon to be mated to sidecar)
'07 SSR 125
'99 BMW K1200RS (SOLD)
'95 Honda Z50R (donated to a buddy)
'89 CR500R (SOLD)
'83 Honda CB1100F (SOLD)
'82 Honda CB750F (SOLD)

Last edited by Corbett; June 25, 2008 at 10:39 AM..
Unread
  (#8)
Largely Unsupervised....

June 25, 2008, 10:42 AM

...now WHERE's that petition that I can sign up to have San Francisco fall off into the bay?

--------------

This has been another fine contribution from Captain Craptastic.

2014 Harley Street Glide
'08 Brass Balls Bobber
'04 KTM 625 SMC
'78 Honda CB750K (soon to be mated to sidecar)
'07 SSR 125
'99 BMW K1200RS (SOLD)
'95 Honda Z50R (donated to a buddy)
'89 CR500R (SOLD)
'83 Honda CB1100F (SOLD)
'82 Honda CB750F (SOLD)
Unread
  (#9)
Nubbs ban yourself!

June 25, 2008, 10:59 AM

Quote:

Commander In Chief of the Military, I am a civilian.
Unlike other countries i am allowed to say anything I want against the President as long as it isn't life threatening.
A King demands respect from its people. Luky for us our ancestors didn't get their way and we don't have kings.

This is what makes it America!

To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train
religion is just a misspelling of superstition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
Once again I forgive you for your self-righteousness, bigotry and prejudice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
I'll also thank them for proving that you don't need the force to get a woman to make you a sammich.
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."
-Benjamin Franklin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYpOF...embedded#at=36
http://www.bachbio.com/gunsavelives.htm
Unread
  (#10)

June 25, 2008, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2sport
Commander In Chief of the Military, I am a civilian.
Unlike other countries i am allowed to say anything I want against the President as long as it isn't life threatening.
A King demands respect from its people. Luky for us our ancestors didn't get their way and we don't have kings.

This is what makes it America!
I'm very happy to see someone understands the difference.

As for cost - yeah, changing the name of something is a monumentally expensive effort. I hope they don't go into debt.

What's truly embarrassing is that a leader has evoked the sort of emnity it takes to inspire someone to jump through all the bureaucratic hoops to make this happen. Hoover had "Hoover flags", Bush gets a sewage plant.

Personally, I'll find the next dump I take in San Francisco that much more rewarding.

Last edited by DvlsAdvc8; June 25, 2008 at 11:22 AM..
Unread
  (#11)
Brainwash Your Face!

June 25, 2008, 11:31 AM

Personally I think its freaking funny!

"an abuse of process"

Let's talk about "abuse of process" buddy

"Someone should donkey punch that bitch with a waffle iron then upload the video to World Star Hip Hop" ~.Nets Resident Chivalrous Gentlemen Stillie

RIP KATIE RIP BAMBAM RIP VEGA
Gasoline by The Bouncing Souls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOxc2cM75NI

Unread
  (#12)
Banned!

June 25, 2008, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomchic00
Personally I think its freaking funny!

"an abuse of process"

Let's talk about "abuse of process" buddy

PUAHAHAHHA

wtf

Unread
  (#13)
idiot

June 26, 2008, 08:30 AM

Only in California...

Greg
09 Honda CBR1000RR
02 Honda VFR800
(sold)
07 Kawi ZX-6R (sold)
08 Honda CBR600RR (wrecked)
05 Kawi 636 (sold)
Unread
  (#14)
GP Champ

June 26, 2008, 09:15 AM

Quote:

Liberals: Prone to be overly emotional and childlike and display a lack of Logic.

Conservatives: Prone to be cold and calculating. Tend to justify the means by the end.

The middle ground: Where things get done. Sadly the middle ground is disappearing as both sides become more egocentric. A condition mirrored by both politians and the general public.

Unless a majoriity of the public once again puts the concerns of the country over their personal greed this county is doomed to be a short footnote in history. The signs of rampant corruption and lack of morality (I say that in a lack of goodness to others sense) at all levels of society continues to rise. Perhaps we'll earn a spot in the history books next to ancient Rome.

Last edited by windblown; June 26, 2008 at 09:20 AM..