DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 533
1 members and 532 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
ARAI HELMETS! Is the juice worth the squeeze??
Unread
  (#1)
What is a chicken strip?

Thumbs up ARAI HELMETS! Is the juice worth the squeeze?? - December 10, 2007, 02:40 PM

I was riding a few weeks back down 66E with some buddys (2 yellow TLR's and a yellow sv if anyone saw us) it was a friday and the temp was about 40 degrees and dropping....traffic was horrible as always and I was wearing my favorite helmet (Arai tommy gun red,yellow,orange) I paid like 700 for this helmet so I was very pissed when the left shield cover popped off on 66 as I lifted the shield to keep from fogging as we came to a stop....SOOO MAD !!!

I picked it up and went to a gas station and scotch taped it back on so the shield would not fly off and I could make it home later that night without a frostbitten face...after I got home I set it on the shelf and there it sat for 2 weeks...I diddnt wanna think about how much it would cost to fix that stupid piece of plastic on the side, well I finally did call coleman's and they said they could get it but first suggested calling arai to see if there was anything they could do...(the darn thing cost 700 I should get SOME kind of warranty)
So I went online and shure enough, Arais have like a 10 year warranty !! They shipped out both sidecovers to me the next day!!

So i registered my other arai that I wear everyday and shure enough that one is still covered as well! so I am going to mail that one to arai so they can rebuild it for me for free!! just wanted to share this new with anyone that rides with arai cuz I diddnt know.....also the customer service was very helpful....The juice is definatley worth the squeeze....

Last edited by vtwinjunkie; December 10, 2007 at 02:43 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
God Made Me Wrong

December 10, 2007, 02:46 PM

I've used their online warranty service twice so far. They replaced the right side pod on my Nakano the first time. And the second time (a couple of weeks ago), they sent me the base plate for the left side of my helmet. Both times Arai has sent me the replacement materials within a few days. All-in-all a really great experience.

It's really easy to register on the site, but I believe bike4fun found an issue with the site's cookies.

"Always question those who are certain of what they are saying." - Elie Wiesel

When the time comes to leave, just walk away quietly and don't make any fuss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfinch
Why does SnoopDogg carry an umbrella?...Fo' drizzle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper
Stop putting shit in my papusa!
When people I don't even know don't like me, I figure I'm doing something right.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Bexxx Send a message via AIM to Bexxx  
Unread
  (#3)
Derpentine Dealer

December 10, 2007, 03:08 PM

I love the fit of Arai and am loyal to the company. I had side cover issues with my Astral, and they sent me the whole assembly for free, very quickly. The key to getting replacement parts under warranty is that you have to say that it came apart while riding. The breakage is not covered if it is caused by user error.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#4)
Loves Sporking

December 10, 2007, 03:09 PM

I pay about $300 for a brand new RF1000 (in last year's graphics) every few years. Currently I have four of them, including one that's smaller, for female passengers. I've raced for years, and crashed in these helmets multiple times at the racetrack. I've damaged quite a few helmets and never left a crash with scrambled eggs for brains.

Funny though, I hear the same side-cover story about Arai helmets at least a few times yearly. Usually they're just hard to fit right, or it's a small piece that broke, or it's a bitch to find the slot in the side, etc. Next to the fit on my noggin' it's a small reason I never bought an Arai. I hate shit like that, and I can replace my Shoei shield in about five seconds without searching for a fit to make my shield hinge properly.

I can't comment on the price of juice, fresh-squeezed or not. However, I wanted to mention that I have never seen nor heard of anything ever flying-off of a Shoei helmet in all the years I've ridden. That's just an observation to support my opinion of Shoei helmets.

If you want good response to a warranty claim, I can't comment other than to say I have NEVER had a warranty claim for a Shoei, so it sounds like Arai is the way to go if you want fast turnaround for claims... but I'd prefer a helmet that can't have small pieces blown off by the wind.

Johnny V.
CCS & ASRA #67

2006 Suzuki GSX-R1000
2004 Suzuki GSX-R600 (racing)
2004 Aprilia 1000 Mille R (street)
2001 Aprilia 1000 Falco (street)
2001 Suzuki GSX-R600 (racing)
1995 Kawasaki ZX-6E (street and racing)
1986 Yamaha Radian 600
(street)

Last edited by JPVaccaro; December 10, 2007 at 03:12 PM..
Unread
  (#5)
Warming up the tires

December 10, 2007, 03:11 PM

When you register to use the site it created a cookie with your username and password on your PC. The cookie had both the ID and password stored in plain text. Not very good for security. I have not been back in a while to check if the site has been updated.

naked blue 2003 SV1000
red 2014 Honda Interceptor - VFR 800

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe. - Albert Einstein
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to bike4fun  
Unread
  (#6)
God Made Me Wrong

December 10, 2007, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeShirtDude
I love the fit of Arai and am loyal to the company. I had side cover issues with my Astral, and they sent me the whole assembly for free, very quickly. The key to getting replacement parts under warranty is that you have to say that it came apart while riding. The breakage is not covered if it is caused by user error.
I don't know if that is correct. I told them both times that I had an issue that it was my fault that it happened (1. fell off my bike onto the side pod and 2. broke a tab on the base plate on opposite side of the helmet when replacing the side pod). Neither time did they give me guff about sending the replacement parts.

"Always question those who are certain of what they are saying." - Elie Wiesel

When the time comes to leave, just walk away quietly and don't make any fuss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfinch
Why does SnoopDogg carry an umbrella?...Fo' drizzle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper
Stop putting shit in my papusa!
When people I don't even know don't like me, I figure I'm doing something right.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Bexxx Send a message via AIM to Bexxx  
Unread
  (#7)
Officially Addicted to Posting

December 10, 2007, 03:18 PM

The fit is different for each helmet. I have a Shoei and had an Arai. Had because it saved my head the first time I went down and I was glad to have it. For me both of them are great and it depends on which helmet can fit my budget. I have a KBC and a Scorpion (too big) but I really liked the Aria. You can't go wrong with either but make sure you have the top two protecting your dome.

GsxRBulldog---NEVER EVER mistake my kindness for Weakness or waste my or my friends time. That would be unwise

G-Dog's total site

There is no trick to it, I just work harder than you.
BANNED from R1-Forum for Bad Attitude on 8/16/2010

'01 GsxR 750----Bike heaven (in a better place)
'01 GsxR 1000---"Bad Ass"....Sold it
'03 GsxR 1000---"G-Note".... Sold it
'04 GsxR 600----"Lil Bastard" Sold to JBoggy
'05 Gsxr 750----"Visitor" Sold back to her Momma
'06 Gsxr 600----"BabyBoy Blue" for Track
'06 GsxR 1000---"GhostFace" for Street

that's GsxrBulldog to you SON!!!
W u l f no P a k va R y d a z
President 2/2010 to 2/2013
: : Power of Purpose : :
remember our fallen friends
•always in our hearts • watching over us•
•#135 Katie•Dragula•#47 Bambam•Vega
www.wulfpakrydaz.com
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to GsxrBulldog Send a message via AIM to GsxrBulldog  
Unread
  (#8)
Owner & Creator

December 10, 2007, 04:23 PM

I've always loved my Shoei.
Unread
  (#9)
Derpentine Dealer

December 10, 2007, 05:21 PM

Arais don't fly apart while riding. What usually happens is someone gorillas the shield hinges. Mine didn't come with the instructions and without those, it's difficult to figure out how the hell you get the shield out and back in. So I ended up screwing it up but getting replacement parts for free. Once you know what you're doing, however, it's quite simple--really a good system. That face shield will never come up while you're riding, even if not latched, even at ludicrous speed. Ask Shiphteey.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#10)
Loves Sporking

December 10, 2007, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Arais don't fly apart while riding. What usually happens is someone gorillas the shield hinges. Mine didn't come with the instructions and without those, it's difficult to figure out how the hell you get the shield out and back in. So I ended up screwing it up but getting replacement parts for free. Once you know what you're doing, however, it's quite simple--really a good system. That face shield will never come up while you're riding, even if not latched, even at ludicrous speed. Ask Shiphteey.
The only time my Shoei shield ever came-up without my help was toward the end of Summit's front straight after I had my helmet for over a year without ever tightening the mechanism. One Phillips screw (on each side) turned a half-turn -- problem solved, without having to make a manufacturer's warranty claim. I don't doubt that the Arai system works fine when all the little pieces are there. It may, but the Shoei shield mechanism isn't invisible. It works and it's simple. Even you could do it.

Johnny V.
CCS & ASRA #67

2006 Suzuki GSX-R1000
1986 Yamaha Radian 600
(street)
Unread
  (#11)
Derpentine Dealer

December 10, 2007, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPVaccaro
... Even you could do it.
Don't bet on it.

I tried on someone's old Shoei and it fit well. The models available now don't fit me very well. Otherwise I don't have anything against Shoeis.

Unread
  (#12)
Loves Sporking

December 10, 2007, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Don't bet on it.

I tried on someone's old Shoei and it fit well. The models available now don't fit me very well. Otherwise I don't have anything against Shoeis.
Shoei's are for AppleShirtDudes. That's all. It's all about headshape. I guess I'm just glad mine's apparently a "long oval."

Johnny V.
CCS & ASRA #67

2006 Suzuki GSX-R1000
1986 Yamaha Radian 600
(street)
Unread
  (#13)
unapologetic

December 10, 2007, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPVaccaro
Shoei's are for AppleShirtDudes. That's all. It's all about headshape. I guess I'm just glad mine's apparently a "long oval."
mine's a long oval as well. Arai RX-7 Corsair works great on me and they have some pretty cool graphics to match my bike when I go beltway blitzin like a crazy mofo.

"ride on #47, ride on"

on the internet you can be anyone you want, it's strange that so many people choose to be so stupid
Unread
  (#14)
Warming up the tires

December 10, 2007, 09:36 PM

I just checked the araiamericas.com site

the cookie no longer appears to show your account and password in plain text
but...
the account logon page is also not encrypted (not https)

naked blue 2003 SV1000
red 2014 Honda Interceptor - VFR 800

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe. - Albert Einstein
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to bike4fun  
Unread
  (#15)
Asleep at the wheel!

December 11, 2007, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexxx
I don't know if that is correct. I told them both times that I had an issue that it was my fault that it happened (1. fell off my bike onto the side pod and 2. broke a tab on the base plate on opposite side of the helmet when replacing the side pod). Neither time did they give me guff about sending the replacement parts.
They could sense your hotness over the phone and did as you wanted.

'82 Honda CB750 f Supersport
'03 Suzuki SV650s
'05 Yamaha TTR 125 LE
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to SquirrelHead Send a message via AIM to SquirrelHead Send a message via MSN to SquirrelHead Send a message via Skype™ to SquirrelHead