DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 562
4 members and 558 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy, davidcycle, legendindisguise, Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Arc welding
Unread
  (#1)
Don't ask me,I'm Canadian

Arc welding - February 12, 2007, 09:29 PM

Bought an arc welder.I've used the Google and theres lots of good info out there,but not alot of in depth beginner stuff.Im off tomorrow and went to Home Depot and bought a bunch of scrap pieces to practice on.

1. What do you weld on? If I use the garage floor,will it leave burn marks on the concrete?

2. It came with a welders mask.This is a basic cheap welder from Sears,will this mask be sufficent enough?

3. If I need to clamp two pieces,can I use metal clamps?

4. The striking of the arc...all Ive read,they say to swipe the electrode across the metal like a match.Some of the strips of metal I have are like 1/4 in wide.Not alot of room to swipe across.Can someone elaborate on this?

5. Way down the road.Can you weld on a frame of a complete bike.Just wondering if a shot of electricity would fry the electronics.

I wish there was a video out there.I swear...when I learn,Im gonna make one.Copy it to DVD and make some money.

ALL MY HEROES ARE RUSSIAN...GO CAPS!

Well you see, Norm, itís like thisÖA herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.-Cliff Claven

Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Give me the Ban Button!

February 12, 2007, 09:59 PM

OK let me see if I can help with any of this.

1 we have a carbon/kevlar blanket that we weld on. If you weld on your floor you will leave burn marks. Get a metal work bench.

2 it would help to buy a better mask. the basic mask is going to be very dark. It will work for starts. But look into a self switching mask in the future.

3 Yes...They also sell magnets that are at different angles to help hold things. Buy yourself a bunch of different types of vise grips they will be your best friend.

4 I havent arch welded in about 15 years but you strike the stick just like a match. Don’t pull the stick to far off the metal or you will loose the arch. It takes practice.

5 I would not use and arch welder to weld a frame of a bike. arch welding is dirty and not as strong as tig. It will work in a pinch. If you need to weld on a bike or car it is a good ides to disconnect the grounds.

Look into a NOVA class. They offer a arch welding class that is good for beginner.

Hope this helps.

MY SPELLING SUCKS....DEAL WITH IT

MyCanikon.net A place to hang out if you are interested in talking photography.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Nubbs Send a message via AIM to Nubbs  
Unread
  (#3)

February 12, 2007, 10:17 PM

Thanks for the input.Welding on a metal table? Wouldnt the charge carry through your work pieces and travel into the table?

Well you see, Norm, itís like thisÖA herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.-Cliff Claven

Unread
  (#4)
Give me the Ban Button!

February 12, 2007, 10:20 PM

Yea!!!! but it wont hurt you.

MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Nubbs Send a message via AIM to Nubbs  
Unread
  (#5)

February 12, 2007, 10:22 PM

So youre saying I can crank up the Amps and grab the table?

Unread
  (#6)
Give me the Ban Button!

February 12, 2007, 10:40 PM

We do when we tig weld. I will be laying right on the tube that we are welding.

Unread
  (#7)

February 15, 2007, 07:10 PM

Im starting to get my 'arc'.Definitely need to get a good mask.I cant see squat through the mask it comes with.I was expecting to see a real arc but its more of an orange glow.Ive tried to weld some screws to my scrap piece,but they're not sticking.Is it because theyre two different metals?Back to the garage

Unread
  (#8)
Posting Nothing Relevant

February 15, 2007, 07:34 PM

if you are looking into the NOVA class you are going to want to be at the resistration site at about 5 a.m., my dad went the past 3 times earlier and earlier, the last time he was there at 6:30 a.m. and the class was already full. just a heads up.

The East Coast Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
This is America I can shit where I want. FREEDOM!!!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to eck226 Send a message via AIM to eck226  
Unread
  (#9)
Pleased to meet me

February 15, 2007, 07:37 PM

Try Miller's website for some videos.
Unread
  (#10)

February 15, 2007, 08:32 PM

This is what I ended up with after an hour of practicing.Im all out of electrodes.I knew I was gonna use em up,so I bought some extras,but I couldn't get them to work.Guess they weren't the right types.I wanted to keep going,this is exciting and fun.Only burnt myself once.

Unread
  (#11)
Suddenly Superstitious!!!

February 16, 2007, 09:37 AM

Wait until you try aluminum. My father in law used to do a lot of welding. In fact he has a ton of industrial strength gear. (He's been retired for 15 years) He was teaching me when I visit buffalo every couple of years. It really takes a lot of practice to get it right without splatter. Aluminum welding is much harder. It takes time to get a feel for when it's hot enough...but no so hot as to run. Take you bike frame to a professional welder if you want to get it done right.

I want my baby back, baby back, baby back....Chileeeeee's bay back...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MudDawg  
Unread
  (#12)
You betcha

February 16, 2007, 12:40 PM

gettin in to the nova classes isnt hard at all, i am in one now and was in one this past semester. It might get harder though, as the welding proffesor and head of all the welding everything at nova recently past away
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to yellowsv  
Unread
  (#13)
Agitator

February 16, 2007, 02:00 PM

Random question...why did you get a stick welder and not a MIG? The only time I ever use a stick anymore is for welds on BIG THICK stuff (and even then, the MIG tends to work better if you do it right)...everything else (steel) I use a MIG...haven't learned TIG yet, but want to

Marc
CCS Amateur #851
2001 Ducati 850RS
2006 SV650 Racebike
2010 CBR1000RR

...and because sometimes you want to go fast, but need 4 wheels:
2009 Nissan GT-R
2003 Nissan 350Z (for sale, $11k OBO)
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to birdman  
Unread
  (#14)

February 16, 2007, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston-birdman
Random question...why did you get a stick welder and not a MIG? The only time I ever use a stick anymore is for welds on BIG THICK stuff (and even then, the MIG tends to work better if you do it right)...everything else (steel) I use a MIG...haven't learned TIG yet, but want to
$$$ I bought the cheapest thing I could find to learn on.I didnt wanna go spend $500 for something I lose interest in and never use again.But Im loving welding and am gonna stick with it and eventually I'll get something better.