DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 560
3 members and 557 guests
2blueyam, davidcycle, nootherids
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Arlington Co. police harvesting lic. plate #s
Unread
  (#1)
All weather rider

Arlington Co. police harvesting lic. plate #s - January 12, 2015, 10:31 AM

Riding in today, and entering I-66 E. at Sycamore Street in Arlington, there was a single cruiser with a large bracket assembly attached, which was holding a reader/camera aimed to collect plate numbers of all vehicles entering the highway. He didn't seem to be enforcing HOW, which had just ended anyway. What's the deal?
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Your Ad Here

January 12, 2015, 10:35 AM

Spotter and Dog.
The spotter scans and runs plates for warrants / outstanding violations / registration violations.

If he gets a flag in the system, he radios ahead to one of the Dogs to go chase it down and pull the driver over.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
I'm a llama again!

January 12, 2015, 10:59 AM

Nevermind

Yeah I am old enough to know better. Thing is, I just don't care.

Last edited by Slider; January 12, 2015 at 11:09 AM..
Unread
  (#4)
GDMFSOB

January 12, 2015, 11:15 AM

Donut sniffers.
Nah, this has been a hot topic in years past. Unfortunately, the Lemming Mentality took over (or the government hushed the media) and it went away. You can't hide from cops with license-plate scanners

#132 EX
Proudly representing: DC-MOTO, Amsoil, SHOEI, Woodcraft-CFM, MARRC

2015 MARRC Crash & Burn Award
2014 MARRC Sportsmanship Award
2013 MARRC Amateur of the Year
2012 MARRC Cornerworker of the Year
www.marrc.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
Here is my anus! Deliver thy penis unto it!.
Unread
  (#5)
Fast Lane Racing

January 12, 2015, 11:23 AM

Register your vehicle with a business name or trust. It costs a bit more for personal property tax, but it can be worth it.

It's not going to pull up your driving record etc.
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#6)
whoa preppy......

January 12, 2015, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS762ZX6 View Post
Register your vehicle with a business name or trust. It costs a bit more for personal property tax, but it can be worth it.

It's not going to pull up your driving record etc.

you know what's cheaper? Not being an asshole behind the wheel or otherwise.

2018 XSR700
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2019 Honda Monkey
2019 Z900 ABS
2019 Janus Halcyon
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#7)
Fast Lane Racing

January 12, 2015, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot View Post

Tag checks are BS revenue generating nonsense.

There's been a couple times where I've been pulled over because DMV didn't update their records in a timely fashion resulting a court date. We're talking months after the fact. One time the court incorrectly listed my license as suspended after I received a no OL in possession charge. The charge was dropped. What an asshole I was eh??

Last edited by CCS762ZX6; January 12, 2015 at 12:46 PM..
Unread
  (#8)
Parkin lot pimpin'

January 12, 2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:

There's been a couple times where I've been pulled over because DMV didn't update their records in a timely fashion resulting a court date. We're talking months after the fact. One time the court incorrectly listed my license as suspended after I received a no OL in possession charge. The charge was dropped. What an asshole I was eh??
Will not agree with this completely. Good friend is metro transit police and he's caught numerous people with outstanding warrants for a myriad of stuff with his readers. There are always going to be mistakes like the one you're talking about but the amount of people that steal license plates or registration stickers would surprise you and they all get busted with them using plate readers.

2013 Kawasaki ZX-6R - back at it again
2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R (636) Lots o' Mods - SOLD

2013 Ford F-150 Ecoboost (Toy Haulin)
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to EndoSJ3  
Unread
  (#9)
whoa preppy......

January 12, 2015, 01:23 PM

Quote:

You have terrible luck. I have similar friends to Endo with regards to being law enforcement. They pick up quite a few people who need to be picked up. Some people are unlucky like yourself. You story is not typical.

2018 XSR700
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2019 Honda Monkey
2019 Z900 ABS
2019 Janus Halcyon
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#10)
Fast Lane Racing

January 12, 2015, 01:30 PM

I don't believe tracking and indefinitely storing citizens' every move to search for petty crimes like stolen plates and tags justifies it. Yeah you might catch a warrant or two, but the ability for abuse by someone as low ranking as a rookie officer far outweighs the benefit in my opinion. Maybe I am wrong and not all officers can do it, but without proper documentation on their operations, how do we know?

Hey.. if I'm not doing anything wrong, why worry? A dangerous way of thinking if you ask me.

Also, police have very little consequence when caught and have been known to abuse this stuff. From tracking down ex-girlfriends to messing with people who file charges against police for misconduct etc.

Funny how when the table is turned, police don't like the same tracking type technologies when it's applied to them.Even though they are being paid by the same citizens they are tracking themselves.

For example:
https://www.aclu.org/blog/technology...g-plans-boston

“Our interest was the scrutiny,” said Joseph Sandulli, a lawyer for the Boston Police Patrolmen’s Association. “This thing keeps a permanent record of where an officer is all day. If he stops to go to the bathroom, that stop appears on the screen. If he goes a mile over the speed limit, someone can question that. It’s quite an intrusion on people’s lives

Last edited by CCS762ZX6; January 12, 2015 at 01:39 PM..
Unread
  (#11)
Your Ad Here

January 12, 2015, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Tag checks are BS revenue generating nonsense. There's been a couple times where I've been pulled over because DMV didn't update their records in a timely fashion resulting a court date. We're talking months after the fact. One time the court incorrectly listed my license as suspended after I received a no OL in possession charge. The charge was dropped. What an asshole I was eh??
I spent a week in prison because of the same. They didn't update the records to reflect that the traffic case had been adjudicated and dismissed months earlier.

A FTA/ No Bond arrest warrant was generated based on this error.

6 months later, I was flagged, arrested, and imprisoned while they and my attorney sorted it out.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

Unread
  (#12)
Suddenly Superstitious!!!

January 12, 2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
I spent a week in prison because of the same. They didn't update the records to reflect that the traffic case had been adjudicated and dismissed months earlier.

A FTA/ No Bond arrest warrant was generated based on this error.

6 months later, I was flagged, arrested, and imprisoned while they and my attorney sorted it out.

TurkishExpress would view this as a free vacation to Hedonism.

I want my baby back, baby back, baby back....Chileeeeee's bay back...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MudDawg  
Unread
  (#13)
Your Ad Here

January 12, 2015, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudDawg View Post
TurkishExpress would view this as a free vacation to Hedonism.

Unread
  (#14)
opossum puncher

January 12, 2015, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot View Post
Being an asshole is my God given right. Plus...

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#15)
Track Day addict

January 12, 2015, 03:11 PM

This is happening all over the country and it isn't just the government that is collecting these plate numbers. Actually it is primarily private entities that collect and store this information. Your car is in a public place. Not sure there is much you can do about it. The government doesn't have any idea how to regulate this yet or if it even can regulate it within the frame of the constitution (see above - public place, public information). There is nothing to prove you were at a specific place at a specific time, just that your car was there.

I am not saying I am for or against this technology. There are good arguments on both sides, but at this point, I am not sure there is much that can be done about it within the bounds of the constitution.

Dale - 2004 SV 650 track, 2003 R1 track, 2007 Tuono