DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 561
3 members and 558 guests
davidcycle, GRN96WS6, Nobrains
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Arlington Peeps - Petition
Unread
  (#1)
No! You!

Arlington Peeps - Petition - July 7, 2008, 11:01 AM

Miami Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexxx
I slapped him in the forehead for being vulgar (I'm a lady, dammit).

Last edited by Miami; September 17, 2008 at 06:44 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Largely Unsupervised....

July 7, 2008, 12:12 PM

Signed. Not an Arlington resident anymore though. Good Luck.

--------------

This has been another fine contribution from Captain Craptastic.

2014 Harley Street Glide
'08 Brass Balls Bobber
'04 KTM 625 SMC
'78 Honda CB750K (soon to be mated to sidecar)
'07 SSR 125
'99 BMW K1200RS (SOLD)
'95 Honda Z50R (donated to a buddy)
'89 CR500R (SOLD)
'83 Honda CB1100F (SOLD)
'82 Honda CB750F (SOLD)
Unread
  (#3)
Addicted to Cajen food...

July 7, 2008, 12:17 PM

I know this petition is geared more towards single family homes who would have 10 families in them, but this petition would make it hard for young professionals to live and work in the same area.

It's too bad you can't specify who and what it effects, i.e. multiple families in one home versus young professionals renting a finished basement.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
No! You!

July 7, 2008, 12:27 PM

Miami Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexxx
I slapped him in the forehead for being vulgar (I'm a lady, dammit).

Last edited by Miami; September 17, 2008 at 06:44 PM..
Unread
  (#5)
singin sweet home alabama

July 7, 2008, 12:54 PM

Are you sure it what they're talking about would allow 10 people to a single family home?

I found this: http://www.arlingtonva.us/Department...page61595.aspx

Which seems to say they would allow caregiver suites (think, live in nurse) and allowing a single accessory dwelling (that is, full kitchen etc) within a single family home housing up to two people unrelated to the homeowner (but homeowner must live on premises).

I don't think they're legalizing the 15 people situations.

"No race has ever been won in the first corner, but plenty have been lost there."
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to DvlsAdvc8  
Unread
  (#6)
Like a clown car on fire

July 7, 2008, 12:55 PM

In Montgomery county they have very specific regulations of what can constitute an accessory apartment, ie: it has to have its own bathroom and kitchen space. this means that you need an oven and full bath separate to the rest of the place in order to rent it as a dwelling. I'm more in favor of making regulations like this than outright banning AD's, because yes, they make it difficult for lower income folk to live in Arlington...

And sadly, this is mostly a moot point because it is rarely enforced... I consulted on a condo that had an owner who owned several units (2-3 bedrooms) and had basically gutted the interior and put up bare plywood walls to separate out several (between 5 and 10) rooms around 6x6 to 8x8 and would basically rent them to poor singles and families on a daily or weekly basis, resulting in 15+ people being packed into apartments, high turnover, etc. Everyone knew about it, they had even reported it to the county, but nothing had been done for years.

-Chloroform-
For when she doesn't know she wants it.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Thwack  
Unread
  (#7)
rdg
best avatar in the biz

July 7, 2008, 12:57 PM

should have just elected Buchanan for President when y'all had the chance. Wasn't his campaign "Get rid of the Mexicans!"? At least, that's how Colbert explained it way back when.
Unread
  (#8)

July 7, 2008, 01:28 PM

Just curious, but I'm wondering a couple things (because every now and then I have to play DA)

1) If someone owns a property, why shouldn't they be allowed to do with it as they please. Why shouldn't you be allowed to have 500 roomates if you want to live that way? Or is it not really a matter of the fact they are there, but rather *who* they are? (yep, throwing the at the fan... everyone duck. )

2) Why should anyone be concerned that high prices in an area mean poor people can't live there?

I honestly want to know what people think on these subjects - and its somewhat related.

"No race has ever been won in the first corner, but plenty have been lost there."
Unread
  (#9)
Like a clown car on fire

July 7, 2008, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlsAdvc8
1) If someone owns a property, why shouldn't they be allowed to do with it as they please. Why shouldn't you be allowed to have 500 roomates if you want to live that way? Or is it not really a matter of the fact they are there, but rather *who* they are? (yep, throwing the at the fan... everyone duck. )
I think the main root of this comes merely from democracy and the majority of a local community (ranging from an HOA, to a neighborhood, town, city, county) maintaining some standards to keep a minority (not racial minority mind you, this can be someone richer than the norm, poorer than the norm, with worse taste, etc.) from bringing living standards down.

When you have a severely overpacked property, it's usually not the owner's prime residence, usually not even in their immediate neighborhood, as the packed property will be in a lower rent area than their primary. Now if you're the neighbor of this packed property, you're straight middle class, live in a decent neighborhood, not the best, but not bad, and all of a sudden you have crackheads, vagrants, etc. living next to you, you're not gonna be happy about it. Your level of living has gone down, as well as your property values, sense of security, etc. The offending property owner doesn't care, it's not his neighborhood suffering, and he's personally profiting from this. he may even do it again and a gain and attaint he title of slum lord. If every house on your block does this packed in hostel thing, you'll probably end up moving.... But if only one house does it, you're gonna gather up with your neighbors and do everything possible to get the offender out, or at least regulate his activity. Very simply the wants/ needs of the many vs the wants/ needs of the few. This concept can be seen in small scale as HOA regulations or in larger scale as county and state regulations on property and real estate.

It is most certainly a matter of "who" you neighbors are, as well as how many and their proximity. Lower social and economic classes tend to be inherently tied to higher crime, lower property values, sense of security, etc. Which is the cause and which is the effect can be debated all day, the fact remaisn that they are linked and with one comes the other. The how many comes into effect when you consider the neighborhood as whole... if you just got the one crackhead living in your neighborhood, it's not gonna really affect things, but if you start getting them in droves, to the point that the regular class for the area is outnumbered, or at least competed with, guess what, the general class status of your area went down. Then there's proximity... Out int he country it's not uncommon to see a huge expansive mansion neighbored by a small 1 room shack... the difference is that when the proximity between the 2 is a mile or 2, it really doesn't make much difference. But the how many as well as proximity factors are as important as the who, some people don't want to be crowded in regardless if it's by people of their same social status or not... It' just that those in the higher statuses have more of a choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlsAdvc8
2) Why should anyone be concerned that high prices in an area mean poor people can't live there?
This has been an age old question in housing and planning... do you take the the poor (and therefore higher crime, etc.) and concentrate it into specific areas, creating ghettoes, or do you spread them out into the higher class areas, to dilute their negative effect and allow them greater services. In a perfect world, you could merge all the classes together, so that negative effects are counterbalanced by higher tax revenues for that area from the richer folk, everyone gets the same level of cimmunal service as the next guy... ie: the police response time to the poor house would be the same as the rich house, so crime rates are controlled, better social services are available for the poor to get a leg up, etc... but that requires the haves to give up some level of living so the have-nots can get a bit more... most haves are not willing to do that, what with this being a capitalist society and all. This is not normally a concern for the haves, but the have-nots have varying degrees of complaints about it, ranging from simply not being able to live where you work to a sense of entitlement to the same level of living that the haves got.

To add another facet to this argument, I've been lucky enough to work my way up to a nice level of living, although I have certainly lived in my share of dumps, ghettoes, etc... The one thing I always notice as I moved up in housing areas is that, at least around here, the nicer the area, the more alienated you are from your neighbors, the less sense of community there is. If I'm in the ghetto pushing my car around, I'm more likely to get help pushing it than in the fancy suburb. It's like the higher up the social strata you go, the more you're in your own little world, less concerened about your neighbors, as long as their not infringing on your level of living.

-Chloroform-
Unread
  (#10)
B
It goes to 11.

July 7, 2008, 02:27 PM

I think that people from poorer countries are willing to live at a much lower standard of life, and tend to lower the standard of living around them.

Setting a threshold for that doesn't seem a bad idea.

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#11)
Track Ho

July 7, 2008, 02:36 PM

you are going about it wrong, limit the parking

"I am officially retired so please don't ban me"
Unread
  (#12)
Like a clown car on fire

July 7, 2008, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r6hokie
you are going about it wrong, limit the parking
Doesn't do as much as you'd think.. the people who will do the sardine packing often don't have their own cars, and those that do will just park illegally, inconveniencing the rest of the neighborhood, because enforcement is usually not stellar, or simply park further away and walk.

-Chloroform-
Unread
  (#13)
Winnar!!

July 7, 2008, 02:44 PM

who the fvck cares how many people live in how many houses?? If they aren't asking you for financial support, mind your business.

Hokie's right.. you should be attacking it from the perspective that impacts you.. parking and/or lot requirements.
Unread
  (#14)

July 7, 2008, 02:47 PM

Thanks for the great reply Thwack.

Unread
  (#15)

July 7, 2008, 02:56 PM

More curiousity - if we're not truly preoccupied with "who" is there, then why do we typically have no problem with large families in a single home? i.e. - The homeowner couple, plus grandparent couple, plus brother/uncle/something, plus children. This is something not uncommon in other cultures, but totally foreign to traditional way of life here in the US.

Same number of people, different because its one family by blood?