DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 601
2 members and 599 guests
Sal_the_man, Scot
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Arlington Police Officer Shot
Unread
  (#1)
Riding is like Sex. WEEE!

Arlington Police Officer Shot - September 24, 2008, 11:02 AM

I may not like the area's cops when they write tickets, but I do care about their safety as tehy are here to keep us safe.

I hope for a speedy Recovery.

WASHINGTON --
Arlington police said an Alexandria police officer was shot during a routine traffic stop Tuesday, and the gunman was later found dead. Detective Crystal Nosal of the Arlington Police Department said the incident occurred at about 8 p.m. on northbound Interstate 395 at Glebe Road. Police said two officers, a rookie and a field training officer, had stopped the vehicle on I-395 northbound near the Glebe Road exit for driving erratically.The driver shot the 26-year-old training field officer in the chest just over his heart after the officer walked over to the vehicle's passenger side, police said.

Police said the shooter drove away, proceeding northbound on I-395. Witness Pauline Stevens said the vehicle "almost took out three cars getting back onto the highway." She said she and other neighborhoods heard the gunshot.

Police chased the suspect, and the vehicle pulled over on the shoulder of I-395 and the 14th Street Bridge."Officers behind the vehicle actually saw it come to a stop at 395 and Boundary Channel on the left shoulder," Nosal said.

The Arlington Police SWAT team and a negotiator were called to the scene. After about an hour, police said they realized that the driver was dead."They had a perimeter set up and at a later time realized the suspect was still inside the vehicle," Nosal said.

News4's
Jackie Bensen reported the man had shot himself.
Police removed at least one gun from the vehicle he was in, and Bensen reported that the weapon appeared to be a handgun.

The officer was transported to a local hospital, where he was in stable condition Tuesday night. He had deep tissue damage and bruising. Alexandria police Chief David Baker likened the injury to a drill bit penetrating the chest.Baker said the officer's bulletproof vest may have saved his life."He was shot in the chest area, the upper chest area," he said. "He's still alive because he was wearing a vest. The shot penetrated the vest, but the vest saved his life." Officers are not required to wear a bulletproof vest, but many elect to do so.

Baker said the officer was in "good spirits.""I'm thankful that the officer is going to be OK and that things turned out as best they could under the circumstances," Baker said. The officer is expected to make a full recovery.

He has been a patrol officer for 3 and a half years and is single. His name had not been released as of late Tuesday night. Two northbound lanes of I-395 were temporarily closed between Glebe Road and the 14th Street Bridge due to the investigation. Traffic was backed up for about 2 miles. There was no word Tuesday night on when the lanes would reopen.Southbound lanes remained open.

"Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside."

"I don't like being famous - it is like a prison. And driving for Ferrari would make it far worse."

"I race to win. If I am on the bike or in a car it will always be the same."

"I'm Valentino Rossi. And I want to be a person, not an icon."

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Rossi Send a message via AIM to Rossi Send a message via Skype™ to Rossi 
Unread
  (#2)
making it do what it do!!

September 24, 2008, 11:05 AM

+1

-FER-
2008 Raven R1
Eat, Lift, Sleep.... (REPEAT)!!!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MANIMAL  
Unread
  (#3)

September 24, 2008, 11:13 AM

+1
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Mommy's Little Monster

September 24, 2008, 11:14 AM

Saw the traffic on the 14th st bridge, and near shirlington coming home from the nats game last night. Good to hear the officer should be alright!

2018 BMW R1200 GS
2016 Yamaha FJ-09
2014 Honda CB500X
2007 Suzuki DRZ 400SM
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600
Unread
  (#5)
and go

September 24, 2008, 11:19 AM

we got stuck in the mess going to the Nats game. 395 northbound was shut down and we were passed by 11 state trooper cars. scary stuff! glad the officer is still alive!
Unread
  (#6)
GP Champ

September 24, 2008, 11:48 AM

Very glad to hear the officer will eventually be okay. My sister-in-law used to be a police officer in Alexandria. It was a scary, scary thing. She always wore her vest -- for reasons illustrated tonight.

Please, all of our police offiers both local and federal on the board, wear your gear!

Talk nerdy to me

It's not how many times you get knocked down,
it's how many times you get back up!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#7)
Never lose your head!!

September 24, 2008, 12:29 PM

I spoke to felllow Alexandria officers and they stated he was fine physically. However I hope he will be fine mentally because this was definitely a reality wake up call.

The suspect had just fled the scene of the crime...where he shot killed his wife before getting on 395.

KK

Last edited by K-Square; September 24, 2008 at 03:34 PM..
Unread
  (#8)
It is what it is!

September 24, 2008, 01:05 PM

Wow...crazy stuff!

Glad the Officer is doing well

2007 Triumph Daytona 675
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Tornado675  
Unread
  (#9)
SIN MC President