DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 400
2 members and 398 guests
HotRod1200, legendindisguise
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Asylum in Adams Morgan - Due for Major Changes
Unread
  (#1)
SaS
Sas pronounced Sauce.

Asylum in Adams Morgan - Due for Major Changes - March 17, 2011, 11:39 AM

Since a lot of us go ride into Adams Morgan and hang out in front of or in Asylum, I thought you may be interested in this. TL;DR: Asylum is moving back to the basement level as it used to a long time ago, and they are changing the upstairs into a craft beer and bbq spot:

The 42: Asylum Due for Major Changes

Prince Of Petworth » Blog Archive » Big Adams Morgan News: Asylum Rebranding Upstairs Bar Into a “Craft Beer Establishment”. Win a $1,000 credit in a contest to name the new space

Some history:
Quote:
One of my favorite Adams Morgan bars is headed for massive "back to the future"-like changes. Asylum Rock and Roll Lounge, which is 20 years young as of 2011, will revert back to a one level basement bar, giving up the top floor to another entity. It is located at 2471 18th St NW.

It originally opened as a one level basement bar, and although I've heard it referred to as a "biker bar" by various people over the years, it's really just a venue that tries to bring something a little different to the maddening AM bar scene. They have a decent selection of vegan food, serve a popular weekend brunch, have oddball movie nights (Parker Posey, Wes Anderson), started an alterna-speed dating night and hosted regular parties like "Reform School" (Catholic school girls, etc) and "Shorts" (admission meant wearing shorts--or less). Of all the bars on 18th St NW, I feel most at home here.

However, those events were made possible by presence of an upstairs portion of the bar, which was added more than 10 years after the original downstairs bar opened and more than doubled the capacity. Although the vegan friendly weekend brunch originated while Asylum was downstairs only, it really flourished in the upstairs, often resulting in long waits for a table and a full bar right at opening. A great scene. Gone are the days of Tuesday vegan happy hour, but it had a great run as well.
And the changes
Quote:

Lot of news coming out of Adams Morgan this week. And even more BBQ news this week.

Yesterday I received a panicked email from a reader titled, “Asylum leaving top space?!” citing a brief City Paper post via The 42.

For those not familiar with Asylum it is one of the older bars in Adams Morgan located at 2471 18th St, NW that has been around since 1991 – from their Website:

Asylum offers a vegetarian/vegan friendly food menu, daily drink specials, an internet jukebox, and live entertainment in a low-key atmosphere. Happy hour runs from 5-8pm daily that includes $1 off rail drinks and draft beers, .50 wings and $1.50 tacos. Asylum offers meat selections as well, a great place to go to satisfy everyone’s palate.

Best known for the vegan brunch on Saturdays and Sundays, please come by from 11-4pm and enjoy the weekend chef specials and our house-made bloody mary’s, vegan huevos rancheros, pancakes and French toast. Voted best vegan brunch by VegDC.com and Best of Washington. The Saturday Natty Light countdown is legendary.

On Wed. afternoon I had the opportunity to talk with Asylum owner (and Meridian Pint owner) John Andrade to get all the details.

So first of all it is true that changes are on the way – Asylum will be rebranding the upstairs bar. But for those concerned that another jumbo slice purveyor would be filling the space, fear not, it is going to become a craft beer establishment featuring BBQ. But perhaps equally important is that Asylum the bar will remain in the basement space.

All the details including a chance to win a $1000 credit to the upstairs bar after the jump.

Since Asylum is “an incredible institution for 20 years now”, Andrade says, it’s not going anywhere and will continue to reside in the basement bar. However, with the craft beer scene exploding in DC, Andrade, believes that the transformation of the upstairs is essential to continue to be successful. Asylum’s downstairs space will have one slight change – the pool table will be removed in order to make some room for more seating. Aside from that and a “fresh coat of paint” the downstairs space will remain the rock and roll, veggie serving bar that it is today.

Now for the upstairs. It will take a new name. And here’s a pretty cool opportunity – John will host a competition for you guys to name the bar. And you get a lot more than bragging rights, the winner gets a $1000 credit to the new space. You can leave your entries in the comments here and/or a new facebook page for The New Asylum.

More about upstairs. As I mentioned it will be a craft beer establishment but in contrast to Meridian Pint it will not only have American craft beers but international ones as well. There will be 30-35 beers on tap and the size will remain the same with an occupancy of 75. While the space will continue to have its own separate entrance it will also continue to connect to the downstairs on the inside as well. The two spaces will share the same upgraded kitchen. Ah the kitchen. While downstairs you can still get the classic Asylum fare – upstairs will be BBQ-centric. While the emphasis will be on craft beer, Andrade sums up the upstairs as focusing on “beer, bbq and whiskey”.

Now – when is it gonna happen? Andrade is going on his honeymoon in early June and plans on starting the upstairs facelift soon after he returns. The facelift is expected to take 3-4 weeks so the new space should open around late July.

In the meantime Asylum upstairs and downstairs will remain open and you have until May 1st to come up with a winning name for the space upstairs.

So, do you guys think a craft beer establishment focusing on bbq will be a good fit for the upstairs space? Do you think the basement space will be able to maintain its character?
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Your Ad Here

March 17, 2011, 11:49 AM

Too bad they can't add more motorcycle parking.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Ton Up!

March 17, 2011, 12:32 PM

They are not touching Buck Hunter right????

~Justin

FREE FITZ!!!!

1999 Suzuki SV650
1982 Kawasaki GPz550 : RIP 4/16/09
1971 Honda CB450 : SOLD!
Unread
  (#4)
SaS
Sas pronounced Sauce.

March 17, 2011, 01:34 PM

In other Adams Morgan related news, someone pointed this out to me on my other forum. It's possible they could get rid of the motorcycle parking or at least reduce it there because of the street projects they have going on.

Adams Morgan Streetscape Project: Will It Harm Businesses?: DCist

Quote:
The D.C. Department of Transportation is soliciting a contractor to perform the streetscape work along a nearly half-mile stretch of 18th Street, between Florida Avenue and Columbia Road. It is the heart of Adams Morgan, where some 150 businesses — mostly bars and restaurants — operate daily.
DDOT will widen sidewalks, build left-turn lanes to side streets, eliminate diagonal on-street parking in favor of parallel parking, upgrade crosswalks, install bulbouts — extensions of sidewalks at intersections — and replace lighting and plant new street trees. The roadway will be replaced, and one northbound lane removed. There will be a new granite curb and brick gutter. And the existing streetcar tracks, long ago paved over, will be excavated and removed.
If you notice it says eliminate diagonal on street parking. Hmm....
Unread
  (#5)
T.R.I.T.D.H

March 17, 2011, 01:52 PM

Diagonal street parking also applies to those spaces by the bball courts...

I've only been IN asylum all but twice. I know a lot have roots tied there however. it would be nice if this craft beer place would be nice but I'm thinking it's just going to be subpar like the rest of AM.

What do you value more? Life or Image?

"I don't ride, I usually just sit around wearing a tshirt and my icon back protector and talk shit about anyone who does not have a liter bike. That's how you can pick me out of a crowd. I also wear a red tophat."
Unread
  (#6)
Bored

March 17, 2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaS View Post
In other Adams Morgan related news, someone pointed this out to me on my other forum. It's possible they could get rid of the motorcycle parking or at least reduce it there because of the street projects they have going on.

Adams Morgan Streetscape Project: Will It Harm Businesses?: DCist

If you notice it says eliminate diagonal on street parking. Hmm....

FUDGE!!!!
Unread
  (#7)
SaS
Sas pronounced Sauce.

March 17, 2011, 02:04 PM

I've only been in the area about 5 years or so, but I think Asylum are the ones who lobbied to get moto parking there in the first place. At least that's what I had heard. At one point it was maybe more of a biker bar, but obviously, it's not really that anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkofDC View Post
Diagonal street parking also applies to those spaces by the bball courts...

I've only been IN asylum all but twice. I know a lot have roots tied there however. it would be nice if this craft beer place would be nice but I'm thinking it's just going to be subpar like the rest of AM.
Unread
  (#8)
T.R.I.T.D.H

March 17, 2011, 02:20 PM

^ I wouldn't be suprised if they closed it....every time I ride though AM it seems to be a growing hassle by authorities whereever you park your bike...

...that being said, they are only going to hassle so much before they decide to shut the space down...which would suck b/c there is really no other place in DC for large amounts of bikers together.

What do you value more? Life or Image?

"I don't ride, I usually just sit around wearing a tshirt and my icon back protector and talk shit about anyone who does not have a liter bike. That's how you can pick me out of a crowd. I also wear a red tophat."
Unread
  (#9)
intermediate

March 17, 2011, 03:35 PM

A bbq spot?! nice I think the best bbq in dc is rocklands in Gtown. Hopefully the new place gives em a run for their money
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to silky Send a message via AIM to silky Send a message via Skype™ to silky 
Unread
  (#10)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

March 17, 2011, 03:40 PM

they harasses cuz asshole non-riding period blood drinking noobies rev there engine like shit...thus causing noise polution, and residence calling the police 24/7 on motorcycles.

11 years going and it gets worst every year. The cops always tell me that they dont wnat to do it but they have there orders from above to keep shit tight...

so if like going to adams morgan...spread the word...

let all bikers know that only
asshole non-riding period blood drinking noobies rev there engine

The Nightmare of Summit Point
WERA Nov# 325 / CCS # 326
2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) | 2011 ZX10RR(Race)
2011 R6 (Street & Track) | 2009 WR250F
GunnRunnaz.com|GR on FaceBook | www.2666ad.com|
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#11)
SaS
Sas pronounced Sauce.

March 17, 2011, 03:46 PM

May wanna give Hill Country a try in Chinatown. It literally just opened this past weekend. It's supposedly really good:
Hill Country Barbecue - Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by silky View Post
A bbq spot?! nice I think the best bbq in dc is rocklands in Gtown. Hopefully the new place gives em a run for their money
Unread
  (#12)
SaS
Sas pronounced Sauce.

March 17, 2011, 03:48 PM

I wouldn't be surprised either. Hopefully they realize that overall the motorcycle add something cool to that area just like every other aspect of Adams Morgan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkofDC View Post
^ I wouldn't be suprised if they closed it....every time I ride though AM it seems to be a growing hassle by authorities whereever you park your bike...

...that being said, they are only going to hassle so much before they decide to shut the space down...which would suck b/c there is really no other place in DC for large amounts of bikers together.
Unread
  (#13)
Get Tarded!

July 24, 2011, 01:28 AM

Adams Morgan.... I just wanted to grab a slice from Jumbo Slice, and the pecker heads patrolling parking attempted to give me a ticket in the time I walked in and came out.... they watched and waited for me.

As soon as I saw private suckalottacock trying to write me up I dashed back out to hear their bullshit "you cannot park one bike in front of another in the same parking space for any reason. As soon as I talk me way out of it the dirty shit hawks moved in on a guy who took his helmet off so that he could back his bike in, they promptly popped him for no helmet..... WTF then officer Dickbeater rolls up on a 250 Honda rebel WITH NO HELMET ON! to piggy back off of officer Fuckstick writing the ticket.

Bikes + Adams Morgan = Lots of faggoty bikes/ riders with enough ckn strips to feed a starving Ethiopian village, a plethora of rental cop's/ and cop's who refuse to use discretion, and a lot of butch lesbo biker chicks.

Stay the fuck away from Adams by any means now.

08 Dizzzer SM
08 Z1000
98 KLR 650

Last edited by Tarded Jake; July 24, 2011 at 02:35 PM..
Unread
  (#14)
Railing!

July 24, 2011, 01:32 AM

very nice emo bi punk rocker chics in Asylum. approved
Unread
  (#15)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

July 24, 2011, 02:45 AM

yeah thats been the word...and ive been staying out of adams....
it sucks because when i was there thursday, they had a local shity band playing...i mean it was pure year one garage music...but shit...i like it.

sad days..this shit goes on til labor day...sigh.

The Nightmare of Summit Point
WERA Nov# 325 / CCS # 326
2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) | 2011 ZX10RR(Race)
2011 R6 (Street & Track) | 2009 WR250F
GunnRunnaz.com|GR on FaceBook | www.2666ad.com|
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  

Tags
adams morgan, asylum