DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 485
5 members and 480 guests
BigDaddyShoo, CrazyMotorcycleGuy, davidcycle, Sal_the_man, Scot
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
ATT ups the ante in donwload speeds
Unread
  (#1)
Ling Long

ATT ups the ante in donwload speeds - February 23, 2010, 06:29 PM

Just under a year after coming in dead last in PCWorld's 3G Wireless Performance Test, AT&T's network is now winning handily with an average of 67% faster download speeds than its competitors. Coming after the CEO of AT&T Wireless's promise that the company was investing in improved infrastructure after years of dismal reviews, the result - what the testers refer to as a "drastic makeover" - is bound to give a boost to AT&T's battered public image. Analysts and US regulators have been predicting that the iPad's launch would bring the carrier's troubled network to a standstill.

For the comparison, PCWorld testers went to 13 US cities and recorded upload and download speeds from 20 individual locations situated in a grid in the downtown area of each city, running more than 51,000 tests in December and January. AT&T's average download speed was 1,410 kbps and upload of 773 kbps, far ahead of all other competitors and an improvement of 84% over last year's results. AT&T's commitment to address poor performance in New York and San Francisco markets has apparently borne fruit, with three times faster download speeds as compared to last spring in New York City and 40% faster downloads in San Francisco since the previous survey.

In addition, the survey also looked at reliability, with the tester checking to see how often they were able to establish an uninterrupted connection while doing the speed tests. In this area the carriers all performed roughly equally, with reliable connections coming 92% of the time for both T-Mobile and Verizon, and AT&T and Sprint both somewhat more reliable with 94% of all connections being solid. 8 months ago, AT&T’s reliability rate was coming in at just 64% in PCWorld's tests.

In addition, in Baltimore, Boston, and New York - cities where the advanced HSPA 7.2 Mbps networks have been deployed - PCWorld measured burst speeds exceeding 4000 kbps. By the end of the year, AT&T says they plan to have HSPA in New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston, Philadelphia, Phoenix, San Antonio, San Diego, Dallas, San Jose, Detroit, Indianapolis, Jacksonville, San Francisco, Columbus, Austin, Memphis, Baltimore, Fort Worth, Charlotte, El Paso, Milwaukee, Seattle, Boston, and Denver.

image via PCWorld

U
C
Lots of
Asians
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to YaoMatt Send a message via AIM to YaoMatt Send a message via MSN to YaoMatt  
Unread
  (#2)
Your Ad Here

February 23, 2010, 06:53 PM

Hmmm, this test is a little skewed only because the time period they were testing was just before T-Mobile completed the HSPA network upgrade.

Takeaway:
- AT&T, the fastest (as of when the test was taken)

- T-Mobile, the most reliability. (lower frequency GSM = more range and penetration! But probably as fast as AT&T now that the HSPA upgrade is done)

- Sprint, middle of the road.

- Verizon, 2nd fastest but the worst reliability. (can you hear me now? hell no!)

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
poz top looking 4 neg bot

February 23, 2010, 06:55 PM

needs moar 4G

horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Ling Long

February 23, 2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
Hmmm, this test is a little skewed only because the time period they were testing was just before T-Mobile completed the HSPA network upgrade.

Takeaway:

- T-Mobile, the most reliability. (lower frequency GSM = more range and penetration! But probably as fast as AT&T now that the HSPA upgrade is done)

- Verizon, 2nd fastest but the worst reliability. (can you hear me now? hell no!)
I doubt HSPA increased their speeds 50%

U
C
Lots of
Asians
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to YaoMatt Send a message via AIM to YaoMatt Send a message via MSN to YaoMatt  
Unread
  (#5)
Your Ad Here

February 23, 2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaoMatt View Post
I doubt HSPA increased their speeds 50%
Yup it is. They're using the same HSPA protocol as AT&T is now. The networ upgrade was completed a week before Nexus One was released to coincide with it's introduction.

They're already testing HSPA+ in Philly

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

Unread
  (#6)
Groping is a skill...

February 23, 2010, 11:44 PM

Europe is already getting ready for 5G/6G. We're still stuck with 3G!

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#7)
Your Ad Here

February 24, 2010, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkishexpress View Post
Europe is already getting ready for 5G/6G. We're still stuck with 3G!
Scale brother -- scale and cost. The amount of cell towers and network equipment needed to be cover and upgrade your average European country or Japan (Where they upgrade every 3 years it seems) would only cover about 2 large states here in the US.

Unread
  (#8)
Traction Control

February 24, 2010, 08:05 AM

And I STILL can't make a fucking phone call. I drop at least 50% of my calls. Thats an improvement from 80% a few months ago. I am not exaggerating.

KTM RC8R
KTM RC390 race
Yamaha R6 race
Honda CRF50 mini
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Tecknojoe  
Unread
  (#9)
Your Ad Here

February 24, 2010, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecknojoe View Post
And I STILL can't make a fucking phone call. I drop at least 50% of my calls. Thats an improvement from 80% a few months ago. I am not exaggerating.
What phone + what network?
If iPhone, that thing is notorious for dropping calls! Doesn't help that ATT uses a higher GSM frequency.

Sprint has some coverage problems as well.

Unread
  (#10)
Traction Control

February 24, 2010, 08:36 AM

Quote:
What phone + what network?
If iPhone, that thing is notorious for dropping calls! Doesn't help that ATT uses a higher GSM frequency.

Sprint has some coverage problems as well.
iphone + ATT

what a great phone, it does fucking everything. I can even whipe my ass with it. I can do anything EXCEPT call a fucking person on it

KTM RC8R
KTM RC390 race
Yamaha R6 race
Honda CRF50 mini
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Tecknojoe  
Unread
  (#11)
starbucks ADV rider

February 24, 2010, 08:38 AM

Quote:

Takeaway:

I had verizon for a few years and it was the best service ive had, then I switched to tmobile because of the better phones but the service sucks... cant sent txts from my house, calls drop, just horrible!
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#12)
Ling Long

February 24, 2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecknojoe View Post
iphone + ATT

what a great phone, it does fucking everything. I can even whipe my ass with it. I can do anything EXCEPT call a fucking person on it

That sucks. I basically never have any calls drop.

U
C
Lots of
Asians
Unread
  (#13)
Mr. Glass

February 24, 2010, 09:52 AM

the dropped calls have decreased. It got to the point where i had to rock EDGE to make calls, and send txts. It is better now, but I still feel there is more to go.

Verizon is good, but there hardware restrictions really bother me, no true world support unless you go with BB

06 Black 10R
http://theazzman.com
http://twitter.com/azzman
"(@)'(@)''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''(@)(@)** **** (@)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
dressing up like a fruity gangster and going to Sterling, that is like wearing a tuxedo just to go to the bathroom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
Buying a sportbike to go the speed limit (which you do not do in your car) is like buying a condom to look at it.

Do you buy a condom to look at it? No you buy it to fuck.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to usman Send a message via Yahoo to usman Send a message via AIM to usman  
Unread
  (#14)
Retired to most ...

February 24, 2010, 09:56 AM

Get the Droid with Verizon ... problem is solved. Fucka iPhone and fucka BB!!!

That is all!

God Speed Jeff! You'll never be forgotten.

BOOSTZX3 : in all seriousness head injuries ain't no joke. I've had around 10 concussions and now I ride a Buell Don't let it happen to you!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to JohnnySpeed1KRR  
Unread
  (#15)
Ling Long

February 24, 2010, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnySpeed954 View Post
Get the Droid with Verizon ... problem is solved. Fucka iPhone and fucka BB!!!

That is all!
The droid is a bastardized version of the Nexus One. But we won't get into that. It's half the phone that the iPhone and most good BB's are. Will it get better? Sure, in time, just don't know if the other big players are going to wait for it.

U
C
Lots of
Asians