DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 562
6 members and 556 guests
2blueyam, CrazyMotorcycleGuy, davidcycle, nootherids, Scot, Toecutter
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
ATTN!: Eating read meat gives you lung cancer!
Unread
  (#1)
Posting Nothing Relevant

ATTN!: Eating read meat gives you lung cancer! - December 11, 2007, 06:39 PM

damn scientists, they spoil more and more good things every day by saying it gives you some form of cancer. fuck em... BRING ON THE CIGARETTES AND RED MEAT! I'M GETTING LUN CANCER! YAAAAAAY!

http://health.yahoo.com/news/reuters...r_meat_dc.html

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - People who eat a lot of red meat and processed meats have a higher risk of several types of cancer, including lung cancer and colorectal cancer, U.S. researchers reported on Monday.

The work is the first big study to show a link between meat and lung cancer. It also shows that people who eat a lot of meat have a higher risk of liver and esophageal cancer and that men raise their risk of pancreatic cancer by eating red meat.

"A decrease in the consumption of red and processed meat could reduce the incidence of cancer at multiple sites," Dr. Amanda Cross and colleagues at the U.S. National Cancer Institute wrote in their report, published in the Public Library of Science journal PLoS Medicine.

The researchers studied 500,000 people aged 50 to 71 who took part in a diet and health study done in conjunction with the AARP, formerly the American Association for Retired Persons.

After eight years, 53,396 cases of cancer were diagnosed.

"Statistically significant elevated risks (ranging from 20 percent to 60 percent) were evident for esophageal, colorectal, liver, and lung cancer, comparing individuals in the highest with those in the lowest quintile of red meat intake," the researchers wrote.

The people in the top 20 percent of eating processed meat had a 20 percent higher risk of colorectal cancer -- mostly rectal cancer -- and a 16 percent higher risk for lung cancer.

"Furthermore, red meat intake was associated with an elevated risk for cancers of the esophagus and liver," the researchers wrote.

These differences held even when smoking was accounted for.

"Red meat intake was not associated with gastric or bladder cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, or melanoma," added the researchers, whose study is freely available on the Internet at http://medicine.plosjournals.org/per...=get-document& doi=10.1371/journal.pmed.0040325.

Red meat was defined as all types of beef, pork and lamb. Processed meat included bacon, red meat sausage, poultry sausage, luncheon meats, cold cuts, ham and most types of hot dogs including turkey dogs.

Meats can cause cancer by several routes, the researchers noted. "For example, they are both sources of saturated fat and iron, which have independently been associated with carcinogenesis," the researchers wrote.

Meat is also a source of several chemicals known to cause DNA mutations, including N-nitroso compounds (NOCs), heterocyclic amines (HCAs) and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs).

Jeanine Genkinger of Georgetown University in Washington, D.C., and Anita Koushik of the University of Montreal said the findings fit in with other research.

"Meat consumption in relation to cancer risk has been reported in over a hundred epidemiological studies from many countries with diverse diets," they wrote in a commentary.

(Reporting by Maggie Fox; Editing by Julie Steenhuysen and Eric Beech)

The East Coast Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
This is America I can shit where I want. FREEDOM!!!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to eck226 Send a message via AIM to eck226  
Unread
  (#2)
Derpentine Dealer

December 11, 2007, 08:22 PM

Something seems to cause spelling problems.

J/K. Don't worry. For one thing, the strength of evidence with nutritional studies is relatively low because it is quite difficult to accurately assess what people eat. The assessment nearly always relies on self-reporting. Let me tell you: human beings are not reliable on self-reports, especially about what they eat. I have not found the original report yet and haven't had a chance to scrutinize their methods. When I get my hands on it, I'll take a close look.

For now just realize that papers like this come out all the time, and the general media over-emphasize the findings. In fact, the NIH has its own media training office to guide its scientists on how not to be mannipulated and misquoted by the news media. Periodically you hear blah blah blah about eating a lot of fiber and not much meat to lower your risk of colorectal cancer but you know what? The overall picture is inconclusive. Same with meat. I am reluctant to believe that this report has unequivocally shown something that has been impossible to clearly demonstrate to date.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Don't ask me,I'm Canadian

December 11, 2007, 09:26 PM

So if you smoke red meat do you get stomach cancer?

ALL MY HEROES ARE RUSSIAN...GO CAPS!

Well you see, Norm, itís like thisÖA herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.-Cliff Claven

Unread
  (#4)
Spike

December 12, 2007, 06:55 AM

Everything gives you cancer, I'mma dowhatiwant and not worry 'bout it. You could be the most healthy person in the world and you're still going to die.

RIP Greg Walker, I will never forget you

If everybody thought before they spoke, the silence would be deafening
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to jtatooz Send a message via Yahoo to jtatooz Send a message via AIM to jtatooz Send a message via Skype™ to jtatooz 
Unread
  (#5)
What's today? aah fuck it

December 12, 2007, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H5OH
So if you smoke red meat do you get stomach cancer?
no, but if u add the right seasonings to that, it will be DELICIOUS!
Unread
  (#6)
Being nice :)

December 12, 2007, 10:41 AM

I smoke for the protein.

You're Welcome...
Unread
  (#7)
Madman in Training

December 12, 2007, 11:09 AM

First off how controlled is the study? How often to these folks smoke\eat french fries\sit on their ass etc. Next red-meat from CAFO's ( commercial agriculture food operations) is total shite....hormones, chemicals, raised on corn grown by. petroleum based fertilizers. People care more about what goes into the paint in their house then what they put in their mouths. Start thinking about where what you eat comes from. Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver is a great start. Local food, raised sustainably. Cows that eat grass as they evolved to do instead of corn have 600% more omega 3 fatty acids in their meat.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Masamune  
Unread
  (#8)
B
It goes to 11.

December 12, 2007, 11:30 AM

Farts emit methane... a proven cause of cancer.

Thanks for killing us all faster, fat people!!!!!

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#9)
Fun Lover or lover of fun

December 12, 2007, 11:52 AM

How does one eat READ meat? do they have to wait until someone has read it then consume it?

R.I.P. Eric. You were truly like a younger brother to me. May you live on in all those you helped and reached out to help. You are truly missed!

tfinch: well, actually, if he did, that's fine cause it's in the pockets!
tfinch
: Mike, can you feel bubbles floating around in there?

tfinch: Bubbles! Yes! Gurgly bubbles!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Timultuous  
Unread
  (#10)
opossum puncher

December 12, 2007, 12:04 PM

I heard if you eat too much broccli then your balls fall off.

You can also die if you drink too much water, everything will kill ya.

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#11)
Loves Sporking

December 12, 2007, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timultuous
How does one eat READ meat? do they have to wait until someone has read it then consume it?
Funny. I once told a girl mine could actually CURE cancer.

Johnny V.
CCS & ASRA #67

2006 Suzuki GSX-R1000
2004 Suzuki GSX-R600 (racing)
2004 Aprilia 1000 Mille R (street)
2001 Aprilia 1000 Falco (street)
2001 Suzuki GSX-R600 (racing)
1995 Kawasaki ZX-6E (street and racing)
1986 Yamaha Radian 600
(street)