DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 509
3 members and 506 guests
2blueyam, davidcycle, nootherids
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Audi Transmission Fix
Unread
  (#1)
Railing!

Audi Transmission Fix - February 8, 2013, 06:57 AM

Anyone have any experience with replacing Audi transmissions? My brother has a 2003 A4 auto(non quattro) convertable that has a transmission issue. Shop tells him it needs to be replaced (I have seen many issues about this). He bought a different car and I was thinking of purchasing it cheap from him and putting in a new trans. Just wondering how difficult it could be. I have changed out many transmissions in Jeeps and have some mechanical knowledge. Thanks!
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Mojito Anyone?

February 8, 2013, 07:05 AM

I'll take it for cheap would look nice next to my a4

ay ya yay
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to onel0wcubn Send a message via AIM to onel0wcubn  
Unread
  (#3)
Stand Collector

February 8, 2013, 08:33 AM

no offense, but if its auto, tell him to dump and run as far and hard away from it as he can, Audi auto boxes of that vintage are known pieces of shit.

899 Panigale
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

February 8, 2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRR View Post
Anyone have any experience with replacing Audi transmissions? My brother has a 2003 A4 auto(non quattro) convertable that has a transmission issue. Shop tells him it needs to be replaced (I have seen many issues about this). He bought a different car and I was thinking of purchasing it cheap from him and putting in a new trans. Just wondering how difficult it could be. I have changed out many transmissions in Jeeps and have some mechanical knowledge. Thanks!
swap it to manual
Unread
  (#5)
Railing!

February 8, 2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airjor13 View Post
no offense, but if its auto, tell him to dump and run as far and hard away from it as he can, Audi auto boxes of that vintage are known pieces of shit.
Yeah I have read a lot of threads about issues with these transmissions...plus its a cvt also and that means $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space View Post
swap it to manual
I did think of this but dont know if it would be worth the time and money. I will have to look into what is needed.
Unread
  (#6)
Your Ad Here

February 8, 2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Yeah I have read a lot of threads about issues with these transmissions...plus its a cvt also and that means $$$
CVT.
Forget it. The Volkswagen CVTs and manu-matic boxes of the B4/B5 era were not known for their longevity.
Given the age, it may be better to sell the car as opposed to putting more money into it.

Someone suggested an auto > manual conversion, but that's neither inexpensive or as technically simple as one would think.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#7)
Stand Collector

February 8, 2013, 10:49 AM

In my experience, all CVTs are shit, just pure shit that manufacturer like the pass off as MPG saving boxes, I have yet to see a CVT make it past ~120K on a car even with scheduled maintenance.

899 Panigale
Unread
  (#8)
GP Champ

February 8, 2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:

I did think of this but dont know if it would be worth the time and money. I will have to look into what is needed.
I have done one a VR6 Jetta. the parts were about half what a used automatic was. The swap took me about 3 days but I did a bunch other stuff while I had the trans out. I have read about people doing it in 12 hours.
Unread
  (#9)
Railing!

February 8, 2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space View Post
I have done one a VR6 Jetta. the parts were about half what a used automatic was. The swap took me about 3 days but I did a bunch other stuff while I had the trans out. I have read about people doing it in 12 hours.
was the price half including the trans? I read a build thread where a guy swapped a manual into a B5 A4 and took him Fri-Tues with no work on the weekend due to waiting on parts.
Unread
  (#10)
GP Champ

February 8, 2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
was the price half including the trans? I read a build thread where a guy swapped a manual into a B5 A4 and took him Fri-Tues with no work on the weekend due to waiting on parts.
At the time it was. I priced used 01M's at about $3000 at the time. I got all of the major parts from dismantler for $1500 shipped. Relays and small stuff at a local bone yard for a few dollars. By the time I was done I had about $1800 in the swap with a new clutch and flywheel. I also replaced the timing chains and some suspension bit which added another $500 or so.

If I did just the swap I think I could have done it in 2 days. Everything was bolt in and the electrical only took about 2 hours.

Start Here

Bought the car for $3300, put about $$2500 in it (including tires) and sold it for $3300 after putting 70000 miles on it.
Unread
  (#11)
GP Champ

February 8, 2013, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
CVT.

Someone suggested an auto > manual conversion, but that's neither inexpensive or as technically simple as one would think.

As a diy project a swap is not much harder than changing a clutch, at least is the jetta. Rewire the PnP switch relay, swap the auto shifter for manual, change a few cooling hoses bolt in the clutch pedal, new fly wheel , clutch and trans. Everything was bolt in. Some models you can actually recode the computer for the manual, unfortunately I had buy a used one.
Unread
  (#12)
superdupernunu

February 8, 2013, 10:19 PM

or you can just by my 2002 A4 1.8T thats a 5-speed manual tranny and not worry about automatic tranny problems EVER again!

let's f*cking rage!
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to