DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 554
4 members and 550 guests
BigDaddyShoo, Heist, Sal_the_man, Slider
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Auto Emissions?
Unread
  (#1)
Get Tarded!

Auto Emissions? - January 4, 2010, 09:03 PM

So I did the plugs and all the regular crap and my truck is being gay and blowing high NoX still the EGR valve isn't showing any typical issues and its only over by about 2 ppm.

According to what I can gather I am not getting a complete burn because the co level is about half the limit.

So I was told today by a shop that Maryland doesn't check the NoX so have it tested there; so I am debating on driving over tomorrow near Andrews I hear they have a clinic behind the base. Or is Virgina cake to get a pass? I just cant get it to pass with the R tards by the nats stadium testing it.

HELP!!! I need to get new tags from Colorado so I just need a slip saying I pass from the immediate area.

08 Dizzzer SM
08 Z1000
98 KLR 650
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
poz top looking 4 neg bot

January 4, 2010, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarded Jake View Post
So I did the plugs and all the regular crap and my truck is being gay and blowing high NoX still the EGR valve isn't showing any typical issues and its only over by about 2 ppm.

According to what I can gather I am not getting a complete burn because the co level is about half the limit.

So I was told today by a shop that Maryland doesn't check the NoX so have it tested there; so I am debating on driving over tomorrow near Andrews I hear they have a clinic behind the base. Or is Virgina cake to get a pass? I just cant get it to pass with the R tards by the nats stadium testing it.

HELP!!! I need to get new tags from Colorado so I just need a slip saying I pass from the immediate area.
this is nonsense.

did you make sure to beat on the truck before you took it for emissions? you want to get the catalytic converter nice and toasty.

aside from that. other things to look at: o2 sensors, make sure you have absolutely no vacuum leaks.

if this is all good, try retarding the base timing by a couple degrees

horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you
Unread
  (#3)
Get Tarded!

January 4, 2010, 09:26 PM

Cat is sub 40k, o2 sensor is normal and the vac lines are all looking good found a leak but fixed it and I am blasting the highway before I test it, I want to check the timing but our base doesn't have a light, any gauges, or really any diagnostic equip for that matter. And the shops near me want to charge me $90 just to look at it. $45-60 for a quick half hour with a EG analyzer and a scan tool is fine but $90+ for the first half hour is bullshit I know its in the city but still BS.

The only trick that helped was little alky in the tank.

08 Dizzzer SM
08 Z1000
98 KLR 650
Unread
  (#4)

January 4, 2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarded Jake View Post
Cat is sub 40k, o2 sensor is normal and the vac lines are all looking good found a leak but fixed it and I am blasting the highway before I test it, I want to check the timing but our base doesn't have a light, any gauges, or really any diagnostic equip for that matter. And the shops near me want to charge me $90 just to look at it. $45-60 for a quick half hour with a EG analyzer and a scan tool is fine but $90+ for the first half hour is bullshit I know its in the city but still BS.

The only trick that helped was little alky in the tank.
i have a timing light if you want to check it. im in rockville

if adding alcohol helped, then i suspect you are running a bit lean. are you sure you dont have any vac leaks? if not, i suspect that if you drop the timing a degree or two and toss in some 100 octane unleaded, that you should pass.

horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you
Unread
  (#5)
just some dude

January 4, 2010, 09:45 PM

how about throwing some seafoam or bg cf5 into the fuel tank? just throwing out ideas.

2013 Toyota Prius C4, holding up traffic...
2009 FZ1 (R-77 carbon exhaust, PC V, BMC air filter, D-shaped 'flies, chopped airbox and AIS, FCE; SW-Motech toprack and quick-release siderack, E55 topcase, pair of V35 sidecase, Woodcraft frame sliders)
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to novasquid Send a message via AIM to novasquid  
Unread
  (#6)
wheelie? really? go away!

January 4, 2010, 11:25 PM

Yeah you should try retarding the timing a hair bit. And some octane booster wouldn't hurt any. Def make sure that bitch is nice and hot when you go into the bay. if it is cold at all the computer will fatten it up to make it warm up faster. Adding alcohol wouldnt make it richer it is actually making it leaner because the higher octane actually burns cleaner. Therefore leaner.

Any rider can go fast in a straight line. Real riders own the turns. Knee down baby!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to tstdmy  
Unread
  (#7)

January 4, 2010, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstdmy View Post
Yeah you should try retarding the timing a hair bit. And some octane booster wouldn't hurt any. Def make sure that bitch is nice and hot when you go into the bay. if it is cold at all the computer will fatten it up to make it warm up faster. Adding alcohol wouldnt make it richer it is actually making it leaner because the higher octane actually burns cleaner. Therefore leaner.
nope. google that

Unread
  (#8)
Get Tarded!

January 5, 2010, 07:04 AM

A higher octane is only to keep a higher compression motor from pre detonating the fuel that is where you would get a knock or engine damage. Thank you for the offer on the timing light I will try to get back to you on that I am going to talk to a few co workers today and see if I can track down one during lunch hopefully.

08 Dizzzer SM
08 Z1000
98 KLR 650
Unread
  (#9)
Meh

January 5, 2010, 09:00 AM

NOX are usually from a lean burn as it appears you have in your situation.

SeaFoam it and and clean all the cylinders out. BG44K is the best injector/fuel system cleaner I have used.

I would SeaFoam the engine (equivalent to old steam cleaning)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef3HNvxblxQ

and then run the BG44K for a tankful.

What year is the car?

In VA...if it is an OBD2 car, they just hook it up to the scanner and look for SES codes the last time I went with the 4Runner.
Unread
  (#10)
Where to????

January 11, 2010, 11:19 PM

also check plug you put in. If temp range is too high, could hurt you.

Chris
08 FJR1300

aka. Sherpa

MARRC Cornerworker
Unread
  (#11)
Get Tarded!

January 12, 2010, 05:39 AM

I tweaked it and took it to Maryland for the test it passed with flying colors.

Thank you all for the input.

08 Dizzzer SM
08 Z1000
98 KLR 650