DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 340
1 members and 339 guests
davidcycle
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Auto Mechs: 2003 Lexus es300 brake issue
Unread
  (#1)
Derpentine Dealer

Auto Mechs: 2003 Lexus es300 brake issue - April 16, 2012, 03:40 PM

Hey does anyone on here know about Lexus brake issues? Someone I know is having a hell of a time with a 2003 es300 going through brake rotors. Seems like the pads are dragging, heating and warping the rotors. I don't have access to the car myself so I related to the owner that the first thing to do is make sure the fluid is at proper level in the brake reservoir. After that, I don't really know much about these cars. Anyone know whether this is a common issue and what the issue actually is? THANKS!

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Give me the Ban Button!

April 16, 2012, 03:46 PM

I can not comment to if it is a common issue or not.

I have seen on some older cars that some "junk" gets caught in behind the pistons of the calipers which keeps it from retracting properly and causes the brakes to drag. To have that happen on both sides at the same time might be a stretch. If it was my car I would flush the fluid to start with and and maybe extend the piston carefully to loosen and junk that may be caught. Some will not recommend that because there is a chance the piston will come all the way out causing a big mess. I have done it in the past by leaving the pads in but Remington the caliper from the rotor.

There could also be a restriction in the line someplace which is keeping the pads from retracting properly.

MY SPELLING SUCKS....DEAL WITH IT

MyCanikon.net A place to hang out if you are interested in talking photography.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Nubbs Send a message via AIM to Nubbs  
Unread
  (#3)
Derpentine Dealer

April 16, 2012, 03:49 PM

Thanks Dan. There is definitely something forcing the caliper pistons out and not letting them retract because once new rotors were fitted on the front, the pads dragged something fierce. I just wonder whether there could be any problems with the power assist or whether the problems are at the calipers. I agree, for both to be dragging up front seems to suggest a more "central" issue.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#4)
just some dude

April 16, 2012, 03:54 PM

i remember my honda in the 90's had this reputation, maybe it's still an issue?

How Does an Over-Torque Warp a Brake Rotor? | eHow.com

How Over-Torquing Warps Rotors

• Wheel lugs flex under duress. Wheels nuts that are over-tightened or not tightened in the proper sequence can cause uneven tightening against the hub surface of the rotor. This is most often caused by mechanics who tighten lug nuts improperly using a pneumatic gun without the use of a torque stick or a do-it-yourself mechanic tightening them out of sequence with a lug wrench. Because one or more of the wheel nuts is not as tight as the other(s), the particular tightening balance off-centers the rotor. Once a rotor warps, it is difficult to undo.

2013 Toyota Prius C4, holding up traffic...
2009 FZ1 (R-77 carbon exhaust, PC V, BMC air filter, D-shaped 'flies, chopped airbox and AIS, FCE; SW-Motech toprack and quick-release siderack, E55 topcase, pair of V35 sidecase, Woodcraft frame sliders)
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to novasquid Send a message via AIM to novasquid  
Unread
  (#5)
Derpentine Dealer

April 16, 2012, 03:59 PM

Hmmm, I would have never thought of that. However, I think we can rule out in this case. The rotors were replaced at home, and the brakes dragged right away upon test drive, so much so that they burned.

Unread
  (#6)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

April 16, 2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeShirtDude View Post
Hmmm, I would have never thought of that. However, I think we can rule out in this case. The rotors were replaced at home, and the brakes dragged right away upon test drive, so much so that they burned.
Sounds like something gummin up the calipers. That's what it was on my Malibu. Some shit was jammed in between the body of the caliper and the piston, and it didn't fully retract. drug for a bit. Didn't smoke though. Was just enough to cause uneven wear and that's it.

-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
Unread
  (#7)
Your Ad Here

April 16, 2012, 04:05 PM

I'm not an expert on Lexus, but I know some of the newer luxury cars have braking systems with moisture sensors that will minutely drag the brakes to "sweep" water off the rotors to keep them dry to enhance wet braking performance.

If the sensor is broken or malfunctioning I could image it would continually keep dragging the brake pads.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#8)
Your Ad Here

April 16, 2012, 04:08 PM

Additionally, has the person had a a caliper rebuild? Perhaps they should. It's not very expensive and the new seals and cleanout/inspection of the holes where the pistons side would make it absolutely certain this was not the cause.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

Unread
  (#9)
Railing!

April 16, 2012, 04:25 PM

make sure wheels are properly torqued, bet they aren't....
Unread
  (#10)
Derpentine Dealer

April 16, 2012, 04:43 PM

Did some digging. Some people suggest that the right front calipers on the Lexus 300s are notorious for seizing. Problems seem to ease with caliper rebuilds or replacement with remanufactured calipers.

Unread
  (#11)
125cc weedwacker

April 16, 2012, 04:51 PM

Did the person who did the job check the caliper guide pins to make sure they move freely? Did they remove and lubricate them? If they are frozen, the caliper is 'stuck' at that position. Put new pads on it and they could be under instant constant pressure. Hard to say without actually looking at the car.

1998 Honda RS125 -Living room show piece
Unread
  (#12)
Your Ad Here

April 16, 2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Did some digging. Some people suggest that the right front calipers on the Lexus 300s are notorious for seizing. Problems seem to ease with caliper rebuilds or replacement with remanufactured calipers.
Bingo. Caliper rebuilds usually ease woes like these.

Unread
  (#13)
Meh

April 17, 2012, 06:51 AM

Already been identified but seized calipers are very common.

Rebuild or replace with new unit. Make sure all the slides (if equip) are lubricated and flush the braking system prior to re-assembly.
Unread
  (#14)
Eddie would go ...

April 17, 2012, 07:26 AM

Quote:
I swapped mine fairly easily. Lexus does a nice job of keeping things accessible.

Even if only one is seizing, best to swap both when you are at it. Ceramic pads and voila...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
No one gives a fuck about your puff out your chest bravado.
Unread
  (#15)
Your Ad Here

April 17, 2012, 09:22 AM

Very accessible. They might even be swappable with Camry calipers since they're based on the same platform.