DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 553
0 members and 553 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
GP Champ

April 4, 2005, 09:32 AM

Hey everyone…I'm finally coming out of the shadows but it's for a good cause.

I am participating for the first time this year in the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer. Am I walking um…no. But - I am part of the 500 member crew who is going to be helping the 2500 walkers this year. I’m on the Motorcycle Crew I’m sure that comes as a complete surprise!

We had our first whole crew training this weekend and I was pretty amazed. The enthusiasm of everyone was at first a little overwhelming and honestly on the verge of annoying but the commitment that everyone and Avon has to this cause is really quite noble. And I can’t imagine how everyone’s excitement is going to build over the next month the walk in D.C. is the weekend of April 30th/May 1st.

Hearing about the excitement of the walkers was also pretty inspirational. During the medical overview I learned that there are going to be breast cancer survivors and women who are currently undergoing treatment who will be walking the 26.5 miles on Saturday and 13 miles on Sunday.

The Moto Crew helps the walkers safely make it through street intersections in D.C. and to provide emotional support. Apparently quite literally I’ll get to ‘dance in the street’ to motivate the walkers to keep going or more accurately get away from me - as I’m not quitting my day job anytime soon to become a ballerina. The Moto Crew also hands out daisies to the last 100 walkers and roses to the last 3 walkers to come across the finish line. The crew is amazing and I’m really looking forward to working with them.

Quite honestly I suck at fund raising and had decided to avoid this whole thing. But after this weekend I was inspired to help raise money to support Avon’s mission of providing access to care and finding a cure. My goal is to raise $500 which is tiny compared to other participants but huge for me.

So...I'm not exactly sure how to wrap this up. If you would like to make a donation that would be great (please click on the link below) - if you don't that is totally cool too.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Mandy

http://www.avonwalk.org/site/TR?px=1...nal&fr_id=1091
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
BE ENCOURAGED!

April 4, 2005, 09:38 AM

Breast Cancer SUCKS!!!! Amanda RAWKS!!!

Count me in!

FOREVER #47 "Walking In The Echo...."
Are you a 'Secret Believer"? Do you Conceal your faith from your family, friends and co-workers? Isn't it about time to step out of hiding and let others know whom you follow?
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to GUZZ Send a message via Skype™ to GUZZ 
Unread
  (#3)
A girl must have her toys

April 4, 2005, 09:46 AM

Mandy... my company get a group together every year to walk.

Will be looking for you.

Danette a/k/a "Dee"-"Poyita"-"La Motora"
T.W.A.T. - GI Jane T.W.A.T.
Meritorious W.A.R.P. Member
99' Cougar
03' 600RR (For Sale)
04' RX8 (For Sale)
08' Dodge Caliber SRT4 Turbo
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to POYITA Send a message via AIM to POYITA  
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

April 11, 2005, 05:19 PM

Thank you SO much for everyone who has donated. I can't tell you how much I appreicate your helping me.

And for the exciting news....I'm in complete shock but I've actually reached my goal.

Thank you!
Unread
  (#5)
Has an idiot exemption

April 13, 2005, 07:05 AM

Mandy,
Let me know where I can send a check.
Thanks!

Steve

2011 Harley Electra Glide Limited
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2006 Honda CRF150F
2004 Honda CRF150F Monster
2008 Honda CRF 450R
www.cornerspeed.net
Unread
  (#6)
GP Champ

April 13, 2005, 05:08 PM

Steve - PM
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

May 1, 2005, 08:19 PM

I'm tired. My feet hurt. My back is achy. My hip still hurts from my crash*. My boots are still damp. I had the best weekend. It was an amazing experience. I can't get this pink ribbon temporary tattoo off of my face - lol. There were so many wonderful people walking and crewing that I'm definitely doing this again next year. I took a bunch of pictures and there was an official photographer - once they are loaded I'll post a link.

Thank you SO much for all of your support. This walk raised $5.2M. Amazing.

(*I had a slight crash on my bike yesterday. I slid on a crossing walk and my hip hurts. My soft luggage and fame sliders broke the fall so there wasn't any real damage to my bike. Yee haw. I did manage to do this in front of most of the moto crew so I had an audience. If you're going to make an ass of yourself you might as well have an audience.)