DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 483
4 members and 479 guests
boomboom929, GRN96WS6, nootherids, Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Baby Video Monitors? Suggestions Please...
Unread
  (#1)
I'm Taking Over!

Baby Video Monitors? Suggestions Please... - May 29, 2009, 12:43 PM

Well... She's Due in a month.
She Wants a "Video" Monitoring System.

Does anyone have any experience with these Things? There are so many to choose from, and price ranges are pretty variable.

Basic ones seem to be around $300... I can find 4 Camera Surveilance Systems with 250 gb DVR for $300..

Any Way, Do you have one, and do you like it, or do you like one better than another?

TIA

04 R6 & (0OO \ (||||)(||||) / OO0)
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Bofessional Send a message via AIM to Bofessional  
Unread
  (#2)
Out of Action

May 29, 2009, 12:45 PM

I'd like to know as well (also due in about a month)

*sigh*
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to SLOride  
Unread
  (#3)
TPG - screw face

May 29, 2009, 01:13 PM

we had one....but prefered the basic one-way radio deal.....then for my 2nd daughter, i ended up sleeping in her room a lot - cuz she was super fussy. haha so video monitoring was kinda pointless.

would i get one ever again - nah.

my 2 cents.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
GP Racer

May 29, 2009, 01:22 PM

We used the Graco iMonitor Video Monitor (Buy Buy Baby and Babies R Us both carry it) for both of our kids (until the oldest broke the monitor). It was pretty good. It had infrared so you could watch the baby at night. The sound quality was okay. The video quality was okay as well. There's some slight lag time for both video and sound, but it's literally only like a second.

I wasn't a big fan of mounting options for the camera, and the camera isn't that adjustable if you do mount it (e.g., to the wall), so what I did was tie a string/ribbon around it. Then I hung it from the curtain rod and angled it such that it looked down into the crib. That worked really, really well.

Just an fyi - you don't want to put the camera right next to the crib. You won't be able to view the entire interior of the crib that way. We placed the camera too close initially, and if the baby rolled too far to one side or in a corner, we couldn't see her.

So you will want to place it someplace high (like from a curtain rod) so it can look down and see the entire inside of the crib. The microphone will still pick up plenty of sound from up there. Plenty of sound...

Prior to actually being a parent, I scoffed at the idea of a video monitor. I thought, "Why spend the money, when a sound/audio monitor works just fine?"

But here's the thing--when the baby is quiet, you have no idea what is going on with just an audio monitor. With the video, you can see that your baby is sleeping peacefully (even when they're sleeping, they move/fidget just enough to let you know that they're doing okay). Since the fear of SIDS was hammered into us at the hospital, it was good to be able to actually see the girls doing okay on the monitor and have that peace of mind.

Last edited by dctex; May 29, 2009 at 01:25 PM..
Unread
  (#5)
GP Racer

May 29, 2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneway View Post
we had one....but prefered the basic one-way radio deal.....then for my 2nd daughter, i ended up sleeping in her room a lot - cuz she was super fussy. haha so video monitoring was kinda pointless.

my 2 cents.

Well, that's a good point. If the kid never sleeps/cries all the time, then you don't need video for sure.

Fortunately, ours were pretty good sleepers, so we wanted the video monitor for the times when they were down.

Last edited by dctex; May 29, 2009 at 01:27 PM..
Unread
  (#6)
Site Admin

May 29, 2009, 01:51 PM

never used a video monitor...audio monitor for 40-50 bux was sufficient for our 2 kids.

OR

put the most expensive one on the wish list and have someone else buy it
?
Unread
  (#7)
"?"

? - May 29, 2009, 02:10 PM

Do have 2 puter's?Sounds crazy,but we use skype! works well! Still use it now and babies are walking all about! Oh 3rd one on the way Sept 11.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#8)
I'm Taking Over!

May 29, 2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneway View Post

my 2 cents.
Yeah, Good Point, I too think Video Is Overated...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dctex View Post

But here's the thing--when the baby is quiet, you have no idea what is going on with just an audio monitor. With the video, you can see that your baby is sleeping peacefully (even when they're sleeping, they move/fidget just enough to let you know that they're doing okay). Since the fear of SIDS was hammered into us at the hospital, it was good to be able to actually see the girls doing okay on the monitor and have that peace of mind.
Another Good Point... I guess its better to be safe than sorry...
Quote:
Originally Posted by zootzoot35 View Post
Do have 2 puter's?Sounds crazy,but we use skype! works well! Still use it now and babies are walking all about! Oh 3rd one on the way Sept 11.
Great Alternative Solution, and Skype is Free Computer to computer, Maybe her Grandmother could view online sometimes as well... Great Idea! Thanks

I guess I will Get one... Thanks for responses!!

MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Bofessional Send a message via AIM to Bofessional  
Unread
  (#9)
Never lose your head!!

May 29, 2009, 03:53 PM

Of course there are pros and cons with everything. I used both with my kids and looking back, the monitor would've been sufficed. The video monitor is great when you want to see what they're doing while they're awake...some of the funniest things to watch, especially when they're talking to their toys.

On a more serious note, if they're in any sort of distress, the monitor should be able to pick up any unwelcome sounds. And if they're not breathing, you're not going to really be able to pick that up on the video monitor and will mistakenly think the baby's asleep. Didn't mean to sound morbid, but wanted to point out the reality.
My $.02.

On a side note, congrats to you and your wife and anyone that is expecting!!

KK
Unread
  (#10)
Like a clown car on fire

May 29, 2009, 05:02 PM

I also have the video monitor for my kid, and it's great, you can take the little monitor around with you, and seeing them gives much more peace of mind, especially new parents like I was. Ours was about $180.

A cheaper option for many houses would be a wifi webcam, that you can monitor on a laptop, netbook, even a smartphone, plus you can let grandparents and family log in to see the baby at their leisure if you want. Just make sure you get one that is ifrared sensitive and has IR illumination, plus a mic of course.

-Chloroform-
For when she doesn't know she wants it.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Thwack  
Unread
  (#11)
I'm Taking Over!

June 1, 2009, 10:08 AM

Thanks for the responses.

We ended up buying this one with a 15% off coupoun from babys R Us

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=2265802

I tell ya, I hate buying Stuff from Baby's R Us, becuase half of there items are re-packaged, or not sealed, and people return things so much... You can't tell if your items are even new... for example My Girl bought a Pack N Play, brought it home, and i could tell the Box was cut open and re-taped... Who Wants that... argh!!!

Unread
  (#12)
someone adopt a newb

June 1, 2009, 10:34 AM

I was gonna say its something I would get again. My daughter had issues breathing while sleeping. I didnt sleep much those days but when I did it was basically due to the fact I could see and hear her. She gets quiet and still moving we are all good. She gets quiet and stops moving and dad starts bouncing off walls running down the hall. Congrats and good luck.

Originally Posted by vonstallin
That shit is like wearing a condom your whole life while living in DC, but going to brazil and going bare back with all the chicks because they look better.

derilict:
So next time you feel the need to prove to the world that you should have been euthanized as a child, do it in someone else's thread.

"No such thing as to pretty to ride. The prettier they are the harder you should ride them. This is also true when it comes to woman." Nubbs

Thank you,

Management

2006 SV650: RIP
1982 Yamaha XJ650: Went old school, but moving on
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to flynmnky  
Unread
  (#13)
Site ADMIN

June 1, 2009, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bofessional View Post
Thanks for the responses.

We ended up buying this one with a 15% off coupoun from babys R Us

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=2265802

I tell ya, I hate buying Stuff from Baby's R Us, becuase half of there items are re-packaged, or not sealed, and people return things so much... You can't tell if your items are even new... for example My Girl bought a Pack N Play, brought it home, and i could tell the Box was cut open and re-taped... Who Wants that... argh!!!

Please report back on this product. Wife an I are expecting End of September.

We are arguing about this right now. She doesnt want to spend the $$ on the video and I do.

thanks everyone!

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#14)
Crackdays for everyone!

June 1, 2009, 11:34 AM

I have that same video monitor. It worked just fine. We had at first gotten a regular audio monitor but after a couple of months we upgraded to the video monitor. We ended making the switch because we found that our son would randomly wake up a cry out in the middle of the night. And by the time we would get to his room he would have already fallen back to sleep. Sometimes it was due to him losing his pacifier. A lot of the time he could find it on his own. With the video, you could see if he was having problems with locating it. Basically instead of having no choice but to get up and check things out or lazy asses could stay in the bed or whatever.

Also, these things are pretty popular now and you may find that some of the interference is due to multiple users. We had a neighbor that had one. We were on channel A and they were on channel B. As long as we stuck with that, we were good. Now if you have more than one family using this same monitor you will be sol!

Matt K.
09 R6
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ZX-Matt  
Unread
  (#15)
I'm Taking Over!

July 6, 2009, 01:31 PM

Baby Natalie Jane arrived June 21st. Since then we have been using the Summer Color Baby Monitor.

It Works Great! Sound is Sensitive, and You can hear everything. The Video is Clear.
I had to mount the camera at the top of the wall, so it captured the whole crib, but it is definelty worth it.

It came with cables for the AV out, and We can watch the Crib from the plasma tv on the wall, That is neat, but I dont see us doing that very often. The monitor is small, and portable, so very useful. Just make sure you get a coupon from baby's r us. I hate paying full price...