DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 618
3 members and 615 guests
GRN96WS6, Scot, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Baby on the way & Gov't Job
Unread
  (#1)
konichiwa bitches

Location: Over to the left, up a little more....right there!!....FFX
Baby on the way & Gov't Job - July 9, 2014, 02:05 PM

I am attention whoring and looking for advice. Most of which I will probably ignore but the people of .NET usually have a few nuggets in amongst all the random post whoring we all do.

Baby wise.....having my first kid in about a 5 weeks and figured I would see if anyone has tips, tricks, advice, random shit I should know beyond what they put in all the baby books I have been reading? If figure it's like riding a motorcycle......read all ya want but until your on the highway doing 65 and a minivan slides over into your lane you don't really know just what you will do.

Gov't Job wise.......been offered a job with the Department of Ed just as I got a pay raise at the Government Contracting gig I am at. Leaning towards the Gov't Job but figured it could not hurt to get some feedback from people that are on the Gov side of things as to what it's like and what to expect vs Gov't Contracting (been on the contracting side for about 10 years). Also, if you have worked specifically as a fed for the Dept. of Ed. since I assume each agency is a little bit different.

So there ya go.....post whore away and know that you should be working rather than trolling .NET ya slackers!!!!

XBOX 360 - Neros Lament

"I'm pretty sure God would consider it a sin not to glorify that ass."

http://www.mrsimcard.com/

Last edited by lqdgrphcs; July 9, 2014 at 02:14 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to lqdgrphcs Send a message via AIM to lqdgrphcs  
Unread
  (#2)
MSF Student

July 9, 2014, 02:21 PM

First. Congrats. Forget the books. All kids are different so you'll have to learn as you go. Talk to others that have the same sex as your baby as boys and girls are definitely different. I have only boys. Have fun and enjoy. Remember, it only lasts 18 years (sooner before they want to do their own thing), and it flies by. Don't waste it. Oh, and for later, don't be a friend be a parent.

I have seven boys. Oldest just graduated and a 9 year gap between the 10 year old now and the 9 month old, so we're starting over again. Biggest complaint my wife had was when they started walking, they became wanted to hang with dad. So learn not to monopolize the baby's time yourself and make sure your partner gets some free time with the child as well. Feel free to PM with questions.

I got to keep the bike with my wife's agreement by claiming stress relief.

Last edited by nitemask; July 10, 2014 at 06:44 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
GP Champ

July 9, 2014, 02:25 PM

To quote Howard Wolowitz:

"Kids are like pancakes; the first one's always a throw-away"

(I am obviously not a parent yet)

That is all.

2001 GSXR 1000 (The bike that lit the afterburner on the liter class world)
2012 Monster 1100 Evo
2003 Yamaha YZFR6 (track only)

mmm... carbon fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by No One Ever
Awesome Prius!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to skwidrific Send a message via AIM to skwidrific  
Unread
  (#4)
konichiwa bitches

July 9, 2014, 02:29 PM

Only doing one so kinda have to try and get it right the first time.

At this point I am 80% Excited 20% terrified. Kind of a.... 'Don't fuck it up!!!'..... terrified.

XBOX 360 - Neros Lament

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to lqdgrphcs Send a message via AIM to lqdgrphcs  
Unread
  (#5)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

July 9, 2014, 04:14 PM

This book is good. It's funny and has some good practical advice.

Amazon Amazon
Amazon (Links)Amazon (Links)

As for the other thing, i can't help ya there. I'm so sick and tired of the fed.gov I'd never again consider working for them in any capacity.

-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
Unread
  (#6)
Officially Addicted to Posting

July 9, 2014, 04:23 PM

With gov jobs, the happiest people are the ones who don't give a shit. If you care about your job performance, don't go gov.

"I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." -MG James Mattis, Iraq 2003

Ruining .net one post at a time
Unread
  (#7)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

July 9, 2014, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
With gov jobs, the happiest people are the ones who don't give a shit. If you care about your job performance, don't go gov.
That about sums it up. Good people in gov hate their life and job, and are frustrated.

-Fitz

2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Unread
  (#8)
GP Champ

July 9, 2014, 04:36 PM

Fed jobs are like jobs in any huge organization - lots of good and bad. How you feel about being a fed varies a lot by what you're doing, whether you consider it important/valuable to society, if you enjoy your specific role, etc. I would definitely not say that the happiest ones where I'm at don't care. I think it's the opposite. I have switched around to get out of what I thought was pointless work. I don't want to just collect a pay check.
Unread
  (#9)
konichiwa bitches

July 9, 2014, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Govt contracting feels much the same. I tend to find satisfaction in me having done my job well but can also detach from the politics of it. Honestly that is the only way to be a creative working on gov stuff cause they usually end up neuturing the best parts if any project. That's probably why I teach part time....that tends to feed my creative drive much more because students in college are hungry and come up with wild ass ideas that I have to try and help them execute.

XBOX 360 - Neros Lament

Unread
  (#10)
konichiwa bitches

July 9, 2014, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkRoy View Post
Fed jobs are like jobs in any huge organization - lots of good and bad. How you feel about being a fed varies a lot by what you're doing, whether you consider it important/valuable to society, if you enjoy your specific role, etc. I would definitely not say that the happiest ones where I'm at don't care. I think it's the opposite. I have switched around to get out of what I thought was pointless work. I don't want to just collect a pay check.
I think this is what I was just getting at.....I enjoy my role and they are asking me to do more if it....supposedly. As long as I can exercise creativity in my role I tend to be a happy camper and from what they showed me they are sorely lacking int that area. Hell, if all else fails, I do it for a year then move on.

XBOX 360 - Neros Lament

Unread
  (#11)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

July 9, 2014, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lqdgrphcs View Post
Govt contracting feels much the same. I tend to find satisfaction in me having done my job well but can also detach from the politics of it. Honestly that is the only way to be a creative working on gov stuff cause they usually end up neuturing the best parts if any project. That's probably why I teach part time....that tends to feed my creative drive much more because students in college are hungry and come up with wild ass ideas that I have to try and help them execute.
I can dig this.

My last gov project was interesting, but became less and less useful as it transitioned from "demonstration" to "production."

Glad to be out of it.

Check that book out i posted. It's a riot, and has some good tips. Practical shit like "what to do when X happens"

-Fitz

2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Unread
  (#12)
konichiwa bitches

July 9, 2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
This book is good. It's funny and has some good practical advice. Video Link: http://www.amazon.com/Dads-Survival-Guide-Man-Man/dp/0316159956 As for the other thing, i can't help ya there. I'm so sick and tired of the fed.gov I'd never again consider working for them in any capacity.
Thanks man.....I will take a look at that book.

I will take any help I can get......at the least trying to keep him/her out of jail and off the stripper pole......oh and the whole raising a decent human being thing to......yeah...that.

XBOX 360 - Neros Lament

Unread
  (#13)
GP Champ

July 9, 2014, 05:02 PM

Yeah, on the more important topic - it's a big cliche that kids grow up too fast but it is so true. My youngest just graduated from high school. It really does seem like she was a newborn just a few weeks ago.

My biggest advice is give your full energy and attention to the kid and do it frequently. No one's perfect and you'll make lots of mistakes but if your kid(s) really believes you care it makes a huge difference and giving them your full energy/attention does a lot. It seems to me a lot of rebellion from kids is due to their belief that their parents don't really care (not always, of course).
Unread
  (#14)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

July 9, 2014, 06:12 PM

Show your love and be the best example of a good person you can be. No matter what mistakes you make as a parent, that will endure with them forever as a model, and plus, just having that as a simple goal will guide you through the confusing parts.

..and I just finished my first year as a federal employee. Do it. You'll love being on the government side more than the contracting side. I could wax philosophical about making a difference, the joy of service, being in a position to set policy, and all that.. but I'll spare you. I'm just glad we the people have you in our court.
Unread
  (#15)
konichiwa bitches

July 9, 2014, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkRoy View Post
Yeah, on the more important topic - it's a big cliche that kids grow up too fast but it is so true. My youngest just graduated from high school. It really does seem like she was a newborn just a few weeks ago. My biggest advice is give your full energy and attention to the kid and do it frequently. No one's perfect and you'll make lots of mistakes but if your kid(s) really believes you care it makes a huge difference and giving them your full energy/attention does a lot. It seems to me a lot of rebellion from kids is due to their belief that their parents don't really care (not always, of course).
I plan to be there and devote full energy......my brother does that and is a phenomenal dad so I have a pretty good example.

XBOX 360 - Neros Lament