DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 312
1 members and 311 guests
Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Bad day
Unread
  (#1)

Bad day - March 3, 2010, 10:22 AM

Just wondering if anyone else have gone through this. I found out last night that my 2 1/2 year old American Pit Bull Terrier has a mass cell tumor. In other words....cancer. She's in surgery now, hoping she's doing good and praying we caught it early enough. Anyone else have to deal with this. Vet bill is going to cost me almost 800 dollars and she'll have about a 5 inch scar on her side. She was my present to myself returning from Iraq and getting out of the Marines....She's my little girl. I'm really worried about her, so if anyone has had to deal with this...let me know how it all went down for you, good outcome?

Bailey680.jpg

Last edited by CBRCurtis; March 3, 2010 at 10:25 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Nubbs ban yourself!

March 3, 2010, 10:37 AM

My Kai has AIDS which I spent a small fortune on and I cried like a baby at the vet when I found out. She has survived almost 3 years when they didn't think she would make it a month. A few blood transfusions and lots of close attention with meds and constantly having her blood levels checked she's doing well other than some other old age issues.

My mother-n-laws Rotty which My wife and I gave her and love him like he's our own has had cancer twice and survived it with chemo and surgery.

If she makes it through just enjoy everyday cause they go way too fast no matter how healthy. Constant checkups to make sure nothing has returned. Good Luck man I hope she makes it.

To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train
religion is just a misspelling of superstition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
Once again I forgive you for your self-righteousness, bigotry and prejudice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
I'll also thank them for proving that you don't need the force to get a woman to make you a sammich.
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."
-Benjamin Franklin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYpOF...embedded#at=36
http://www.bachbio.com/gunsavelives.htm
Unread
  (#3)
Toe Dragger

March 3, 2010, 10:38 AM

I cant say that I have beet through that same situation, but my Boston ended up with pneumonia as a pup thanks to a less than reputable seller, and he spent one week with me before he had to go into an incubator for a month and it tore me up.. So my thoughts are with you and your girl.

Chad
Sales Manager Duc Pond Motosports
I Make you Ducati Dreams Come True... LOL! Seriously! I do!

1999 Ducati 996 (sold)
1998 GSXR600 track bike (shamu) sold..
2008 Kwaki Versys sold...
2006 VFR800 Sold..
2001 Road King? Yep....
Unread
  (#4)
infected by devils

March 3, 2010, 10:38 AM

I haven't been through this situation but I wish the best for your girl! They're tough as nails man, she'll be alright.

There's only two words that describe me, search and destroy.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to edicWHUN  
Unread
  (#5)
TPG og

March 3, 2010, 10:42 AM

Holy hell.....sorry to hear about your dog. Gene, sorry to hear that, is she on those retroviral drugs? Its always sad to see animal have to go through that shiz...its not like you can explain whats happening like you can with a human. Hopefully they got all the cancer out. My boss has had good luck with chemotherapy for one of her cancer stricken cats. Best of luck to you and the little dog.

We had to get a loan to get our toy poodle surgery...he ate a plastic bag and it blocked his intestines and almost killed him. Had another dog diagnosed with lung cancer...by the time we found out it was too late though. She didn't make it, but the poodle is still alive and kicking and hyperactive as ever. And the loans paid off finally!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to b00st  
Unread
  (#6)

March 3, 2010, 10:42 AM

Thank you, I appreciate your support. My mothers cat had feline AIDS, it was really tough on her, and was a really hard way for him to live. He passed away in the long run and my mom was destroyed, she loved that cat.

Yeah I know how you felt when your at the vet and you think its nothing big then all of a sudden its like a sucker punch to the gut. I went home, poor myself a couple drinks and laid with her all night. She's young and extremely strong, so I have a lot of faith in her to do great....but it doesn't stop the worry.
Unread
  (#7)
I'm baaaaaack

March 3, 2010, 10:48 AM

Wishing the best for you're pooch man.
Unread
  (#8)
Nubbs ban yourself!

March 3, 2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B00STZX3 View Post
Holy hell.....sorry to hear about your dog. Gene, sorry to hear that, is she on those retroviral drugs? Its always sad to see animal have to go through that shiz...its not like you can explain whats happening like you can with a human. Hopefully they got all the cancer out. My boss has had good luck with chemotherapy for one of her cancer stricken cats. Best of luck to you and the little dog.

We had to get a loan to get our toy poodle surgery...he ate a plastic bag and it blocked his intestines and almost killed him. Had another dog diagnosed with lung cancer...by the time we found out it was too late though. She didn't make it, but the poodle is still alive and kicking and hyperactive as ever. And the loans paid off finally!
In case you don't know, you may, AIDS in this case is the reverse of how most think of it. Typically in humans you have no immune system so any sickness can kill you almost because you have no defense.
AIDS in dogs, their immune system can't tell the difference between their own cells or that of an invading sickness so it starts killing all its internal organs. Huge white blood cell count and why it took 2 blood transfusions to get the levels anywhere near normal and then she is on a small dosage of meds that transplant patients use to prevent the immune system from attacking the new organ.
She use to get urinary track infections cause she wasn't able to kill the bacteria on her own so we had a lot of juggling to do with getting the constant dosage right but she hasn't had one in a while.
She was so sick in the beginning I really didn't think she would make it. She was so weak and couldn't walk and shaking it was heart breaking.

I rescued her from being put to sleep and I made a promise I would take care of her. She lived in a crate for 2 years only let out to go to the bathroom. A good dog and worth every penny I ever spent just to see her happy and tearing up her toys!

To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train
religion is just a misspelling of superstition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
Once again I forgive you for your self-righteousness, bigotry and prejudice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
I'll also thank them for proving that you don't need the force to get a woman to make you a sammich.
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."
-Benjamin Franklin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYpOF...embedded#at=36
http://www.bachbio.com/gunsavelives.htm
Unread
  (#9)
Popplers!

March 3, 2010, 11:53 AM

My parents first dog had the same situation but we were very late in catching it. We came to conlcusion that contually surgery, with 10% life expectancy after a year, was going to be torture. Worst decision to have to make :/.

Hopefully your pup pulls through.
Unread
  (#10)
Speed Safely

March 3, 2010, 12:15 PM

http://www.kateconnick.com/library/mastcelltumor.html

Good info on Mast Cell tumors in dogs. We went through this with a few of our dogs. Each one passed away ... from OLD AGE, not the tumors/cancer. Don't stress about it. Mast cell tumors are very well understood and there are many treatment options. Our vet told us that it was relatively common in most breeds, and if caught early enough is usually easily treated with surgery and meds.

2004 Honda CBR 600RR Black/Silver (sold after 42K miles)
2010 BMW S1000RR Thunder Grey

Pinoy, and proud of it!

Stapp's Law: The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle.
Unread
  (#11)
Meh

March 3, 2010, 02:33 PM

Good luck. I think she will be fine.

Dogs are super tough. More so than we are most times.
Unread
  (#12)
GP Champ

March 3, 2010, 03:15 PM

I am so sorry. I wish all the best for you and your pup. My dog was diagnosed with cancer when she was 13 months old and it was the saddest thing EVER. Luckily a second opinion 4 months later showed that she was misdiagnosed. So yeah, make sure you get a second opinion!
Unread
  (#13)

March 3, 2010, 07:37 PM

She's out of surgery and home. Got her back about 5. She's still in a lot of pain and whines a little bit. She's having some trouble walking. Food cravings is very low and I dont have any chicken so I'm making her some eggs now. The stitching looks really painful. I'll post up her battle wounds a little later. But rest assure, she is passed out like a baby right now.

Thank you all for your support.
Unread
  (#14)
GP Champ

March 3, 2010, 08:15 PM

Been thru alot with many of my pets. So far it's been one just about every year for the last three years I've had to put down. In total I've gone thru the process of putting down about 8 of my animals. Each time it's like the first...it's never easy. What ever you do, do not be selfish and let her suffer if things start to go down hill. She will appreciate it and love you for not letting her suffer.
Think positive though, animals are pretty tuff and can live a decent life with an illness. Yes i've dealt with the same thing and the animal has lived much longer than predicted.
Unread
  (#15)

March 3, 2010, 08:36 PM

She just got some chicken and eggs. Her spirits look a lot better. Now she's just cuddling with her turtle. I can't even go to the bathroom though, every time I walk away from her she whines but she's good. My optimism has definitely gone up, feeling much better. Next week we get our results, they have to mail it to Colorado University for the testing.

Photo on 2010-03-03 at 21.32.jpg