DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 221
2 members and 219 guests
Heist, RRonin
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Ban Volvos! Ban them now!
Unread
  (#1)
Ballaugh Bridge

Ban Volvos! Ban them now! - June 2, 2007, 09:44 PM

http://www.myfoxdc.com/myfox/pages/H...Y&pageId=1.1.1

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Officials say at least six people are in critical condition after a car plowed into a street festival in Southeast today.

DC fire department spokesman Alan Etter says about 30 people are being taken to hospitals.

WTOP radio reports that the woman behind the wheel was being chased by police.

'08 MARRC Expert Racer of the Year
2009 #3 Combined Overall Championship

Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Signed up for Track Days!

June 2, 2007, 09:55 PM

While you are at it, baan saabs too!

I think I'm finally the pussy people always told me I was.
Unread
  (#3)
Warming up the tires

June 2, 2007, 10:11 PM

I heard it was a black Volvo.

naked blue 2003 SV1000
red 2014 Honda Interceptor - VFR 800

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe. - Albert Einstein
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to bike4fun  
Unread
  (#4)
Give me the Ban Button!

June 2, 2007, 10:13 PM

One of those Bullet Volvos

MY SPELLING SUCKS....DEAL WITH IT

MyCanikon.net A place to hang out if you are interested in talking photography.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Nubbs Send a message via AIM to Nubbs  
Unread
  (#5)
Warming up the tires

June 2, 2007, 10:17 PM

It had a rocket engine designed by NASA.

naked blue 2003 SV1000
red 2014 Honda Interceptor - VFR 800

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe. - Albert Einstein
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to bike4fun  
Unread
  (#6)
Railing!

June 2, 2007, 10:50 PM

LOL Ban all cars and trucks and trains they are weapons of mass destruction

Forceofnature

Which is worse: ignorance or apathy? Who knows? Who cares?
It's easy to identify people who can't count to ten. They're in front of you in the supermarket express lane.
Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is.
Unread
  (#7)
It's all good..

June 2, 2007, 10:57 PM

whoooaaaa! I keep mine locked up and out of gas, especially when the kids are around!

Paul J
03 Busa
08 150R sumo
10 SXV 550
06 GSX-R1000

dprams1 "Really guy, really, you strapped your bike to the top of your car. Wow, wow, really"

Stillie: "The day you get on motard is the day you write of society as a whole. They are the ones living incomplete. Fuck them. "

PSN: paulj70

Greg "BamBam" Walker
September 11th 2009

http://www.rememberinggregwalker.com/index.html
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to UUBusa Send a message via AIM to UUBusa  
Unread
  (#8)
Dressed for Success

June 3, 2007, 12:17 AM

"Police are now looking for the "Volvo mad[wo]man" responsible for it all."
Unread
  (#9)
Watch out kid! I'm in 1st

June 3, 2007, 12:24 AM

Damn, what is it lately with police chases and people being injured from them? Any word on which street festival this was? Thought the Filipino Festival was this weekend, think it was down on the Mall. Hope everyone will be ok.

06 Kawi 650R Black
Unread
  (#10)
( * )|( * )

June 3, 2007, 11:11 AM

I said the exact same thing...BAN them! And how ironic that a police motorcycle was used to stop the car

Chris
2008 MARRC AM Racer of the Year
Unread
  (#11)
Largely Unsupervised....

June 3, 2007, 11:12 AM

Car Crashes Through D.C. Street Festival, Injures 35

June 3, 2007 - 10:39am
WASHINGTON - A gray station wagon going 70 mph plowed through a street festival in Southeast D.C. Saturday evening, injuring 35 -- seven seriously. Of those seven, two were children under the age of 3. The driver of the car was not seriously injured.
The crash occurred at about 8 p.m. at 13th and W streets, at the Unifest Music and Food Festival, along Martin Luther King Avenue.
Unifest is an annual event sponsored by an Anacostia-based church.
D.C. police Chief Cathy Lanier says the woman driving the car, 30-year-old Tonya Bell of Oxon Hill, Md., had her 7- or 8-year-old child in the car with her.
She said a vehicle believed to be Bell's was driving erratically and struck a police car and fled the scene about a half-hour before the crash at the festival.
WTOP's Derek Williams was on the scene. "One witness tells me he saw officers hurl their motor [bikes] in front of the Volvo to finally stop it and arrest the woman."
Among the injured are two police officers who pulled in front of the car and tried to stop it.
Witnesses say strollers were flung aside and one person was trapped under the car.
"I ran out there to her," one man says. "She was in shock, hysterical. The other two over there were down, unconscious. And that lady kept on going."
Another says the driver was "hitting people like a bowling ball."
D.C. Mayor Adrian Fenty says the incident would be investigated and "prosecuted very aggressively."
"Preliminary charges at this point are going to be aggravated assault while armed, but additional charges are pending," Lanier says.
"We are still trying to piece together just exactly what happened that led up to this," she says.
Police are conducting blood tests to show whether alcohol or drugs were involved in the crash.
David White, president of the Chicago Shannon Civic Association, says Bell grew up in the neighborhood and is well known.
White says he and other residents saw her in the area on Saturday morning, driving erratically and clipping parked cars. He says he confronted her, but she acted like she didn't know him.
"I said, 'Tonya, what are you doing?' She was sweating like a race horse. We tried our best to stop her. ... She was just in a deranged state of mind," White says.
The festival was scheduled to continue today, but it has been canceled in light of the incident.
(Copyright 2007 by WTOP and The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

WASHINGTON - A gray station wagon going 70 mph plowed through a street festival in Southeast D.C. Saturday evening, injuring 35 -- seven seriously. Of those seven, two were children under the age of 3. The driver of the car was not seriously injured.
The crash occurred at about 8 p.m. at 13th and W streets, at the Unifest Music and Food Festival, along Martin Luther King Avenue.
Unifest is an annual event sponsored by an Anacostia-based church.
D.C. police Chief Cathy Lanier says the woman driving the car, 30-year-old Tonya Bell of Oxon Hill, Md., had her 7- or 8-year-old child in the car with her.
She said a vehicle believed to be Bell's was driving erratically and struck a police car and fled the scene about a half-hour before the crash at the festival.
WTOP's Derek Williams was on the scene. "One witness tells me he saw officers hurl their motor [bikes] in front of the Volvo to finally stop it and arrest the woman."
Among the injured are two police officers who pulled in front of the car and tried to stop it.
Witnesses say strollers were flung aside and one person was trapped under the car.
"I ran out there to her," one man says. "She was in shock, hysterical. The other two over there were down, unconscious. And that lady kept on going."
Another says the driver was "hitting people like a bowling ball."
D.C. Mayor Adrian Fenty says the incident would be investigated and "prosecuted very aggressively."
"Preliminary charges at this point are going to be aggravated assault while armed, but additional charges are pending," Lanier says.
"We are still trying to piece together just exactly what happened that led up to this," she says.
Police are conducting blood tests to show whether alcohol or drugs were involved in the crash.
David White, president of the Chicago Shannon Civic Association, says Bell grew up in the neighborhood and is well known.
White says he and other residents saw her in the area on Saturday morning, driving erratically and clipping parked cars. He says he confronted her, but she acted like she didn't know him.
"I said, 'Tonya, what are you doing?' She was sweating like a race horse. We tried our best to stop her. ... She was just in a deranged state of mind," White says.
The festival was scheduled to continue today, but it has been canceled in light of the incident.

--------------

This has been another fine contribution from Captain Craptastic.

2014 Harley Street Glide
'08 Brass Balls Bobber
'04 KTM 625 SMC
'78 Honda CB750K (soon to be mated to sidecar)
'07 SSR 125
'99 BMW K1200RS (SOLD)
'95 Honda Z50R (donated to a buddy)
'89 CR500R (SOLD)
'83 Honda CB1100F (SOLD)
'82 Honda CB750F (SOLD)
Unread
  (#12)
I'll get there one day

June 3, 2007, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant650R
Damn, what is it lately with police chases and people being injured from them? Any word on which street festival this was? Thought the Filipino Festival was this weekend, think it was down on the Mall. Hope everyone will be ok.
Think it was Uni Fest or something like that
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to CoLeMaNiA  
Unread
  (#13)
whats in your drink?

Location: Mineral VA. If you know where it is you can pass go
June 3, 2007, 11:22 AM

Saw this last night and there were at least two dc cop bikes on the ground. They were black. Arrest them

Tell 'em Large Marge sent ya!
X
Take care of new riders, we were them, and they will be us.
Unread
  (#14)
What's today? aah fuck it

June 3, 2007, 01:17 PM

Unread
  (#15)
Watch out kid! I'm in 1st

June 5, 2007, 04:08 AM

DC Driver Reportedly Smoking Crack All Day, worked for former DC Mayor Marion Barry: Video Link

06 Kawi 650R Black