DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 568
3 members and 565 guests
Nobrains, Sal_the_man, Slider
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
BATMAN Rise discussion. SPOILERS abound
Unread
  (#1)
Silence... I keeeel you

BATMAN Rise discussion. SPOILERS abound - July 21, 2012, 03:56 PM

First off let me say that if you haven't seen the movie yet... GET OUT!!!

This thread is for people who have seen it and want to discuss it. There will be MAJOR spoilers here if you haven't seen it.
No one should be crying that this thread ruined the movie for them.

So..... the next post shall start the discussion.

You have been warned.

Then again... That's just me.

On the internet... Everyone is an expert.

And now...The dancing Banana:
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Silence... I keeeel you

July 21, 2012, 04:00 PM

Used as space between warning post and spoilers.

Unread
  (#3)
Silence... I keeeel you

July 21, 2012, 04:01 PM

Some things that struck me. Even though I understand that this is a reboot and they can change whatever they want.

1. Was anyone surprised that "Miranda" was the mastermind? I knew from scene one that she was Talia.
2. She was the one born in the prison and escaped? That's Banes entire back story. They just transferred it to her?
3. "use my real name" I was sooo expecting to hear him say Dick Grayson. Maybe even Tim Drake. But to hear Robin just made me say WTF?

Unread
  (#4)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

July 21, 2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drnknmnky13 View Post
Some things that struck me. Even though I understand that this is a reboot and they can change whatever they want.

1. Was anyone surprised that "Miranda" was the mastermind? I knew from scene one that she was Talia.
2. She was the one born in the prison and escaped? That's Banes entire back story. They just transferred it to her?
3. "use my real name" I was sooo expecting to hear him say Dick Grayson. Maybe even Tim Drake. But to hear Robin just made me say WTF?
I knew she was Talia, mostly because of how the story was going and I knew Bane was not that dedicated to Ras goal. Also in the comics she had a relationship with Bane.

Now I also was disappointed at not saying Dick Grayson, but they did use Dick Grayson life after Gotham. The original Robin became a cop and created his own identity as Night Wing... I sorta figured John Blake would end up being trained under batman...but didnt think he would just assume the mantle.

I was disappointed with the overall finale of it. House sold to orphanage.

Over all, I loved the story...It is a combination of No mans land where the government seals off Gotham and blows the bridges and set up borders after a earth quake destroys the city.

I like the idea of bane having a gas he takes that nulls the pain he feels thus making him almost indestructible to bat man blows.

she is also the mother of batmans son.... (she drugged and raped him) the current Robin...

oh yeah.....she also slept with the 2nd Robin now called Red Hood.....

The Nightmare of Summit Point
WERA Nov# 325 / CCS # 326
2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) | 2011 ZX10RR(Race)
2011 R6 (Street & Track) | 2009 WR250F
GunnRunnaz.com|GR on FaceBook | www.2666ad.com|
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#5)
Silence... I keeeel you

July 21, 2012, 06:35 PM

Yea. I wasn't big on the faked death so I can retire with Catwoman ending. As soon as you see Alfred at the restaurant you knew what was going to happen. Since they showed it already. I think it would have been better of they omited Alfred telling him his dream about it. You think Brice is dead. Alfred is moving on. Then he sees him at the restaurant and figures it out.

Overall I really liked the movie. A few nitpicks here and there. But only because I'm such a fan.

Unread
  (#6)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

July 21, 2012, 09:27 PM

One thing I like were the off color actors he picked. I cant remember the rich guys name he used that was helping Bane and wanted to take over wayne enterprise in the end. I like the fact that scarecrow played in all three movies. He shoulder had a frayed edge that sort of look like a straw suit....maybe im reaching lol.

I was mad at first when I thought they did kill him, and for some reason until I saw alfred i thoght he was dead...I was in the movie trying to rationalized how he could have made it back or far enough away from the blast....

I sat and waited to the end credits...nothing....lol

one thing this movie did was keep you guessing....

What Im not sure of is the time frame thing...did he stop being the batman the night of part 2? was all the damage to his knees from that one night?

When john blake was talking about seeing batman...I assumed he ment after part 2.

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#7)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

July 21, 2012, 10:51 PM

from one of the fan sites....

He Hasn't Been Batman In 8 Years! Whaaaaaaaaaaaat?

We'll start with Bruce Wayne hanging up the cowl for 8 years. In the beginning we find him a broken recluse, hiding away from the world. When fans heard that this would be part of the plot, there were mixed reactions. Some felt that Wayne would never give up being Batman for any reason, and that it was extremely out of character. Well, he doesn't decide to stop being Batman only because of Rachel's death. It is a combination of many things, including the fact that Gotham no longer needs the Caped Crusader now that organized crime is all but eliminated thanks to the Harvey Dent Act -- also something weighing heavily on Wayne's conscience as it is all built around a lie. This is clearly taken, in part, from Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns, and in the context of this particular story I think it works brilliantly. What about you guys?

Bane Is Big

There was a lot of controversy surrounding the big fella, primarily because fans thought he wasn't big enough. Well, rest easy. As any reasonable minded person probably already guessed they would, they make him look much bigger than Tom Hardy actually is -- the magic of movie making eh? But one thing that isn't really expanded upon is the mask. We already knew it was going to be used to provide him constant anesthesia against terrible pain, but aside from that just being mentioned once and us finding out what caused his injuries, it's pretty much left alone. No, we never find out how he eats! So there are a lot of changes made with this character no doubt, but the movie incarnation is so effective I really don't think many -- aside from the real hardcore purists -- will mind too much. His dialog is fantastic, and he definitely get some of the best lines in the movie -- " "You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it", "What a lovely lovely voice" etc. The one issue I had was not with the character, but how he checks out in the end. After being set up as such an unstoppable force, a plot twist (more on that later) kind of reduces him to henchman status, before he is dispatched far too unceremoniously by Catwoman. I just think such a great villain deserved a better send off. That being said, by that point the movie was racing towards its climax and there was SO much going on, to drag it out any more may have felt over indulgent.

Surprise Surprise, Anne Hathaway is Great As Catwoman

"She'll suck, she's terrible, I hate her!" She didn't, she isn't, and there's no accounting for taste. Seriously though, Hathaway pretty much steals the show as Selina Kyle. It seems Nolan finally managed to give us a n interesting, fully developed female character. Kyle is never referred to as Catwoman, but honestly was there a point in the movie when she could have been without it sounding forced? She never dons a cowl, never uses a whip, and doesn't have claws - and it makes not a lick of difference because the essence of the character is 100% Catwoman. My one complaint is that she kinda disappears for a good chunk of the movie when she's sent to prison, but with so many characters and plot-lines being juggled that's understandable. Her presence is missed though.

Marion Cotillard Was Fibbing, Miranda Tate Is Talia Al Ghul (Of Course)

This was probably the worst best kept secret. They may have gotten away with it if not for those set pics of Cotillard hanging out with the bad guys looking like...Talia Al Ghul, but I think most of us fanboys and girls knew what to expect. But, remember that most cinema goers probably wouldn't have, and in that respect her reveal works as a great twist. There are only a couple of hints that Tate may not be all she seems, and for the most part I think the majority of the audiences I watched it with (both times) were genuinely shocked.

John Blake IS Robin. Sort Of

This is the one that most fans will have a problem with I think. It turns out that idealistic young rozzer John Blake's real name is Robin, and he does indeed take over the mantle of Batman in the wake of Bruce Wayne's "departure". The reveal will either excite and delight you, or have you rolling your eyes. Obviously "Robin" is an alias adopted by several of Batman's sidekicks over the years, but here we are told it is actually Blake's real first name. Surely having his actual name be Richard Grayson would have been better? Well yes, except I understand why they didn't do that -- too many people wouldn't have a clue who that was! Plus, Blake could be seen as an amalgamation of Grayson, Tim Drake, and Jason Todd so pinning one of those names on him wouldn't have completely matched up with his back-story. I liked the reveal for the purpose of the story, it was a great way to end the movie, but I do think it might have been handled better.

Batman DOES Die. Sort Of

At the end we do get the big emotional payoff, as Batman sacrifices himself to save Gotham, as well as a heart breaking moment with Alfred at his graveside (though a bit more time spent here wouldn't have hurt). But then there is the big reveal that Bruce Wayne actually survived and finally began his life with Selina Kyle. Or did he? Many people seem to have missed this but myself and a few others I have spoken too believe this MIGHT have simply been all in Alfred's head, as he finally spots his beloved friend and surrogate son happy for the first time in the little cafe he always imagined him in. Obviously the "Bruce Wayne fixed the autopilot on The Bat" reveal and a few other things suggest that he did in fact escape the explosion, but I dunno. I think Nolan may have chosen to leave this part ambiguous, bringing us back into Inception territory. Thoughts?

Last edited by vonstallin; July 21, 2012 at 11:02 PM..
Unread
  (#8)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

July 22, 2012, 02:42 AM

Unread
  (#9)
Silence... I keeeel you

July 22, 2012, 04:50 AM

I don't buy the whole end scene being in Alfred's head. I mean that kind of ending works with Inception since the whole movie is about trying to figure out what's real or dream.

I'd love to argue that Bruce Wayne would never give up the fight so it must be a dream. But in this version he already DID give up the fight... for 8 years. So he was perfectly willing to walk away from being Batman.

Unread
  (#10)
Site ADMIN

July 22, 2012, 09:03 AM

As a person that doesn't read comics, the ending was geared towards me. Yet in Nolan style it seems he worked damn hard to appease the comic nuts as well.

I called the chic villain about 10 minutes before the reveal.

How Nolan used Selenas glasses as cat ears was genius.

I know you comic nerds were looking for more, but for me all three movies were excellent. Robin being in the batcave at the end left me longing for more and hoping Nolan changes his mind about making more.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#11)
Instructor

July 22, 2012, 12:44 PM

Bruce Wayne giving up on Batman for 8 years AND the Wayne Enterprises ruined most of the movie for me from the beginning. Bruce Wayne was always driven to help people both as Batman and through Wayne Enterprises. Batman I almost understood. With the miraculous cleanup of crime in the city seemed unrealistic, I could almost see a reason for Batman to take a lessor role, but Wayne giving up on his families legacy just didn't settle right.

All in all, I believe the third movie demonlished the themes and character development of the first two. My wife hadn't seen Batman begins until after TDKR but at the end she looked at me and said "Ok, I get it now- that wasn't the same Batman"

Stupidity is an elemental force, and I respect that. ATGATT
Unread
  (#12)
Don't believe the hype...

July 22, 2012, 09:30 PM

Finally saw it a couple of hours ago. Honestly I'm still trying to figure out if I liked the movie, or loved it. Everything about the characters I loved. Most the story and plot, I loved. The twists I loved. The thing that I wasn't too happy about was that there was no closure with the movie. Knowing that this was the end of the trilogy, Nolan should've done a better job at closing it. He did what most not so good directors do to "end" a movie that make people go "what? But what about...... and what about.... and that other thing....."
So what happens with "Blake"? Does he dress up as Robin or is that the start of Dick's Batman era? Will Nolan come back and make a Robin trilogy? Will someone else pick it up from there? Some of you might love that stuff but I always want closure in movies.

I'd hate to say that I was disappointed for what I was looking for in this movie, which was Bane's back story, and honestly I was loving it when they were telling the story almost true to the T, but then they made it Talia's story, I almost yelled out WTF? in the theater. But I loved the movie because Bane was in it and he's my favorite villain. And of course it was the last part of my favorite trilogy.

'11 Speedy
'72 CB450
Unread
  (#13)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

July 22, 2012, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w0bbles View Post
Finally saw it a couple of hours ago. Honestly I'm still trying to figure out if I liked the movie, or loved it. Everything about the characters I loved. Most the story and plot, I loved. The twists I loved. The thing that I wasn't too happy about was that there was no closure with the movie. Knowing that this was the end of the trilogy, Nolan should've done a better job at closing it. He did what most not so good directors do to "end" a movie that make people go "what? But what about...... and what about.... and that other thing....."
So what happens with "Blake"? Does he dress up as Robin or is that the start of Dick's Batman era? Will Nolan come back and make a Robin trilogy? Will someone else pick it up from there? Some of you might love that stuff but I always want closure in movies.

I'd hate to say that I was disappointed for what I was looking for in this movie, which was Bane's back story, and honestly I was loving it when they were telling the story almost true to the T, but then they made it Talia's story, I almost yelled out WTF? in the theater. But I loved the movie because Bane was in it and he's my favorite villain. And of course it was the last part of my favorite trilogy.
yeah....I was like WTF also...but in a sense....it can work.
Like they all said...it's Banes story....so he took it. In the comics they do shit like this all the time...

Unread
  (#14)
Quit moving!

July 22, 2012, 10:19 PM

i like catwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Patient View Post
Really Snipes? Thats how you get down??

I got $1000 on Snipes being the best at this shit!!

Who wanna put a stack up against that? Who the fuck is Snipes' competition?

That motherfucker through in some flat asses for 5150 then told him to stfu and enjoy!

Man Snipes is the Mike Jordan of this shit!!

This threads stock just rose like a SOB!
Unread
  (#15)
Don't believe the hype...

July 22, 2012, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonstallin View Post
yeah....I was like WTF also...but in a sense....it can work.
Like they all said...it's Banes story....so he took it. In the comics they do shit like this all the time...
Yeah I understand it can work. Bane's identical story could've already happened since he was already a grown up at that point. I was just disappointed because I was so happy with the story, haha. Oh and also when they made it look like Bane was Ra's' son. I was like nooooooooooo.

Did anybody else think "bath salts" when they picked out Bane's face? Haha.

'11 Speedy
'72 CB450