DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 424
1 members and 423 guests
Heist
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Best Heat Pump ? or/and Worst?
Unread
  (#1)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

Exclamation Best Heat Pump ? or/and Worst? - May 28, 2018, 08:27 PM

So I had a Lennox heat pump installed at my vacation house and I love it to death. No issues just over a year into it.

For my 1923 DC house I have a gas furnace with radiators, and put 3 window units in for summer. I hate the window unit part and some rooms do not have radiators in them.

My contractor recommended I put in a Heat Pump for 2nd/top floor/upstairs. This will cover all 3 bedrooms, the back sections of 2 of the rooms that do not have heat or AC....hallways, bathrooms ...everything. I have just over 3ft of crawl / attic space to put the air handler in and the outside unit on the roof.

*For the main floor / 1st floor since i had walls knocked down, he recommended a mini split for heat and ac. Mainly for the AC part since the heat flows to all the spaces.

Now here is where we do not see eye to eye.

I want to put another Lennox in, but his HVAC guy said a Goodman will be ok. He also kept saying how its the top Heat pump in america.

When I did my research I found more issues with Goodman units. I have two friends who have them now.

One said he brought it new in 2005, and had consistent problems to the point he just paid extra for them to take it out in 2007 and put in a TRANE.

I was just on vacation and saw a HVAC tech working no a heat pump. I ask if he had to buy one...whats good what is the worst. He said hands down the Goodman is the worst. I laughed, because Ive been checking out houses in Myrtle Beach SC and I swear they all have the exact same Goodman outdoor unit. I did not see another brand. I figured that if they are rentals, the owners put in the least amount of money possible.
Anyway he said the best on the Market is Rheem then Lennox and Trane pulled a solid 3rd.

This is comparing all the middle units...not the cheapest ones.

He told me there is more profit in the cheap model of Goodmans so they push them allot, but allot of return work lol.

What heat pumps do you have? How long? issues? love it? or hate it?
what brand do you recomend?

I am thinking Lennox, and if that do not work out Trane.

Models I know of.
Lennox
Rheem
TRANE
GoodMan
Armana
Carrier

The Nightmare of Summit Point
WERA Nov# 325 / CCS # 326
2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) | 2011 ZX10RR(Race)
2011 R6 (Street & Track) | 2009 WR250F
GunnRunnaz.com|GR on FaceBook | www.2666ad.com|
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#2)
Railing!

May 28, 2018, 09:23 PM

Can't comment on a heat pump, but the Lennox AC/furnace in my house is 31 years old and is still good despite severe neglect by the previous owner. It's I keep waiting for it to conk out, but it keeps ticking. If they still make them like this, I'll buy another.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Meh

May 28, 2018, 09:46 PM

Honestly...most of them are pretty good. Things are far more sensitive to installation than anything else. I have a couple of Goodmans that run well after some Carriers crapped out after 8 years.
Unread
  (#4)
Real Men Pedal

May 29, 2018, 06:14 AM

I have an Amana (Goodman) in my house but it's a propane furnace/air conditioner. It's one of the high end ones. It has been fantastic. Just don't buy from Home Depot. They are different models than HVAC contractors supply. Plus, Costco has a Lennox guy in it.
Unread
  (#5)
Warming up the tires

May 29, 2018, 07:09 AM

I have been told by multiple HVAC technicians that Goodman is the worse. It is what contractors put in new houses to maximize their profits. My new townhouse had one and the inside coil developed a leak after two years. While the part was under warranty the labor to replace it cost $600.

Another issue was that the outside coil (fan) was very loud. It was under the deck on the townhouse and it made it hard to talk on the deck when it was running.

DO NOT GET A GOODMAN!

Trane, Lennox, and Carrier are all good brands.

Another suggestion is to contact another HVAC company and get another opinion.

naked blue 2003 SV1000
red 2014 Honda Interceptor - VFR 800

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe. - Albert Einstein
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to bike4fun  
Unread
  (#6)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

May 29, 2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike4fun View Post
I have been told by multiple HVAC technicians that Goodman is the worse. It is what contractors put in new houses to maximize their profits. My new townhouse had one and the inside coil developed a leak after two years. While the part was under warranty the labor to replace it cost $600.

Another issue was that the outside coil (fan) was very loud. It was under the deck on the townhouse and it made it hard to talk on the deck when it was running.

DO NOT GET A GOODMAN!

Trane, Lennox, and Carrier are all good brands.

Another suggestion is to contact another HVAC company and get another opinion.

That hits another point I forgot to make.
In DC allot of my neighbors who did conversions to heat pumps have Goodmans also. The outdoor unit/fan is sooooo damn loud every time im home and the initial "BONG" sound b4 the fan moves makes me take note..then quickly realize....neighbors heat pump kicking on.

My vacation house in the woods the outside unit was a big concern for me because the sound echos and did not want to be that guy with the loud ass heat pump in the woods.

Also my GF Goodman dominates sound wise when it kicks on.

My Lennox is pretty quiet...i have plenty of convos with it on while grilling on the deck next to it.

For DC my outdoor unit will be on the roof, so it shouldnt make a difference.

I was wondering if a High end unit was better (Goodman)... but I dont think ill risk it.

Thanks for the comments, keep it coming.

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#7)
Real Men Pedal

May 29, 2018, 04:57 PM

No issues with my unit. My bills are easily half my neighbors'. But as I said, I got their top of the line variable speed unit.
Unread
  (#8)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

May 29, 2018, 06:03 PM

I have variable speed also.

I love this feature.

Unread
  (#9)
opossum puncher

May 29, 2018, 06:44 PM

There really are like only 5 companies (ex Trane, also makes American Standard, exact same units but you pay more for Trane.) and that drops down to 3 when you get to components. Everyone is buying the same parts. Biggest difference is going to be the quality of the install.

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#10)
Your Ad Here

May 30, 2018, 12:04 AM

Goodman's are fine if you maintain them. Think of them like the Honda Accord of heat pumps. Decent price. Decent SEER rating. Nothing spectacular about them. No advanced feature sets per se.

I dropped a 1.5 Ton Goodman in 4 years ago. It's been good thus far. I'm not killing my system all year though. You probably won't be either Von since this is a seasonal supplemental system and not handling the main year round heating & cooling.

Could I have spent more for a York, Trane, Lennox, etc. Yep. Would I have seen anymore benefit? Probably not.

Sidenote: I'm writing this is someone who has an unequivocal hate of heat pumps! I never saw or experience one until I moved to this region and wish I never had to deal with them.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#11)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

May 30, 2018, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx6rfool View Post
There really are like only 5 companies (ex Trane, also makes American Standard, exact same units but you pay more for Trane.) and that drops down to 3 when you get to components. Everyone is buying the same parts. Biggest difference is going to be the quality of the install.
For my vacation house the 1st company wanted to install it in the attic (over 7ft standing height) and he said that since this is my vacation house a goodman would be fine.

I was going to go with him originally (Quote was about $6500 through the attic) and a base model Goodman.

The 2nd company came and wanted to put it in under my house (no more than 3ft of space with a peak in the middle) extremely difficult install. The comparative base model TRANE was $7,100 with wifi therm.

I look it up online and just happen to have time to swing by the Dulles Home and Garden Expo.

Everyone recommended under the house installs if I had the space.

Since this is more of a summer home they said attic install will run the system way more with all the heat build up and i would still lose more cool air in the insulated duct work.

I called the 1st company back and ask, about heat in the attic, vs. under the house install... he said... you will be fine in the attic since you are not down here much.

So I went with the 2nd company who said that while it will be a pain in the ass to do under the house install on mines..and they had to dig one spot about 12 in to level it off...he said the air temperature under the house will stay pretty consistent and will not effect my ducting much.

When he came to give me a quote he measured each room, drew out a diagram with windows and the size of the registry needed for each room, hallway and such. Vs. the first company just measured outside the house dimension (32ft x 28ft) i think.

I went with them for how much he told me and I ask a million questions...he was at my house for 1.5 hours...crawled under the house and everything.

the 1st company dude was at my house for roughly 20 minutes.

I say all this because I think you are right about the quality of the install.

I can not be happier with my Lennox and how it has performed the last 15 months. I leave it on all year long...even when I closed the house down (January to March) with the temp setting at 49 degrees.

I saw that goodman and armana were made on the same assembly line with two seperate names slap on.

Somewhere I also read that most hvac company get the components made from the same company, but to their spects.

Unread
  (#12)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

May 30, 2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
Goodman's are fine if you maintain them. Think of them like the Honda Accord of heat pumps. Decent price. Decent SEER rating. Nothing spectacular about them. No advanced feature sets per se.

I dropped a 1.5 Ton Goodman in 4 years ago. It's been good thus far. I'm not killing my system all year though. You probably won't be either Von since this is a seasonal supplemental system and not handling the main year round heating & cooling.

Could I have spent more for a York, Trane, Lennox, etc. Yep. Would I have seen anymore benefit? Probably not.

Sidenote: I'm writing this is someone who has an unequivocal hate of heat pumps! I never saw or experience one until I moved to this region and wish I never had to deal with them.
1.5 ton seems kinda small. Is this for a condo? My vacation house is tiny.
3 bedroom 896 sq ft. (im sure you seen the pics) they put in a 2 ton system.

My original plan for the vacation house was simply to put anything in and for as close to $5,000 - $6,000 as possible. Cheapest way possible.

I told the contractors Things I did not want were....

Wifi Therm
Noisy outside unit.
Loud Burst of air flowing when the unit came on.
Something that will need more maintenance than normal.
Decent warranty (over 7 years)

For the money TRANE and Lennox ran close in price for SEER ratings, variable speed fans and warranty stuff.

But Lennox had the quietest outside unit and air handler. Db wise. They also had a great system that tells you when a component is not working/break and can send a message to the company.

For DC after the contractor said basic Goodman is good... I was going to say fukkit and get that.... but I keep thinking I am going to hate myself. I know too many people with that same basic unit and complain about problem, and like someone said above....parts are covered under warranty, but the labor isnt and that is what really kills you.

Unread
  (#13)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

May 30, 2018, 10:08 AM

I know the biggest difference in Variable speed Air handlers....but what is the biggest difference in Dual stage heat pump (outside unit).

Unread
  (#14)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

May 30, 2018, 01:52 PM

You should reach out to Mike Collins at MJA Design (he's also a forum member, if you don't know him). He gets pretty nerdy about this stuff and has done systems for many .net members (including an inverter Amana system for me).

703-331-0350 (if you want Mikes cell number I can PM it to you)

-Ryan
Unread
  (#15)
Your Ad Here

June 1, 2018, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonstallin View Post
1.5 ton seems kinda small. Is this for a condo? My vacation house is tiny.
3 bedroom 896 sq ft. (im sure you seen the pics) they put in a 2 ton system.
Yes, 1200sq ft. It's more than enough to handle the 1000 ft of conditioned space.

But 2 Tons leaves you headspace. Kinda of like having a V8 vs. V6 pick-up truck.

Quote:
My original plan for the vacation house was simply to put anything in and for as close to $5,000 - $6,000 as possible. Cheapest way possible.
I told the contractors Things I did not want were....
Wifi Therm
That's more or less a function of the thermostat.

Quote:
Noisy outside unit.
Most of the noise emanates from the compressor. You can wrap it in a sound blanket and it will kill dbs.

Quote:

Loud Burst of air flowing when the unit came on.
Variable speed air handler OR you can be cheap like me and put a cheesecloth like fabric behind the register. It'll diffuse the air a bit before it hits the vanes. Just remember to replace the fabric when you clean the registers each season.

Quote:
Decent warranty (over 7 years)
Most have a 5 year as automatic. The more warranty you want, the more you're going to have to spend. Considering this is a low use system, I wouldn't spend more for a longer OEM warranty. I'd rather just spend appropriately for yearly maintenance.

Quote:
For DC after the contractor said basic Goodman is good... I was going to say fukkit and get that.... but I keep thinking I am going to hate myself. I know too many people with that same basic unit and complain about problem, and like someone said above....parts are covered under warranty, but the labor isnt and that is what really kills you.
If labor and parts worry you, buy a Home Warranty from Old Republic or AHS. It'll cover your entire home - appliances included.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to