DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 536
5 members and 531 guests
2blueyam, Diggy, GRN96WS6, nootherids, Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Best method for documenting a serious build????
Unread
  (#1)
superdupernunu

Best method for documenting a serious build???? - August 26, 2013, 05:53 PM

Hey all... as the title asks, is there one program/app/blog/etc... that is thought to be the best when it comes to wanting to document something like a car build? I am asking because I am getting ready to begin an extensive build process on my Audi RS6 that will last probably the rest of this year and a maybe even very early into 2014. I would like to thoroughly document it throughout the build process as steps are made in whichever direction they are made. I plan on using numerous pics, blurbs, movies, etc... so i would like to keep adding onto things that i have already added to the "interwebz". I want to be able to add videos, photos, & text, while maintaining a format which is quick & easy to update and pleasing to the eyes.

I though about Evernote, Blogger & WordPress, just posting to the Forum... but i wanted something that would be easily updatable from an iPad or iPhone on the fly, OR from a desktop when i have a little more time to publish a little more when some intricate updates are needed.

Any input is appreciated and keep an eye on the upcoming build of Black Betty...
I promise you that it will be an entertaining one where we will all hopefully have a chance to learn some new things about these Beasts that may not have been explored before. I also promise you that that the goal for this build will be an ambitious one, which I do not believe has ever been accomplished.

Thanks a lot and I look forward to hearing back from you guys on the best platform to document and update the build seamlessly and effortlessly!

-Sasha

let's f*cking rage!
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Chasing the dragon

August 26, 2013, 06:15 PM

My 2 cent...

Forums are easy, already have the potential to draw a good size audience, and most support tapatalk and other mobile apps. I'd support the photos on a third party such as photobucket. Some random builds I have followed have seen the builder receive outside support of manufactures because of the exposure.

You could do a smaller Wordpress or similar, but you would need to gain an audience to make it worthwhile. Not worth it if you aren't trying to springboard a company right away with the build. If you are looking to get a company or some other business going, you could set up a blog type of website; but I'd still seek the popular forums for your car to post on and a community to tap.

I recently started following a moto build on Facebook. It is a fan page. Hat is another option to think about and explore as well.

More gas, less brake
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Your Ad Here

August 26, 2013, 07:58 PM

If an extensive build, I would recommend a few things:
(1) Watermark all videos and pictures.

(2) Don't use a forum to document the build. Why? Because people jump in with questions and comments. The back and forth can sometimes go on for pages before the reader finds the next post that actually has updated content related to the build.
Also, most forums are relatively small w/so so back-up. I've lost count of the times I've seen forums shit the bed - or the site owner migrated to a new server/host and tons of posts and data were lost in the process. BOOM(!) and with this goes your documented process.

(3) Link the progress to site to a forum. This way you can keep the Q&A and discussion independent of the clean and chronological build page. A separate independent site also allows you to collect the ad revenue. No, you're not going to get rich - but pennies become dollars. No one frowns at free beer money and if the site becomes popular enough, distributors and suppliers may knock at your door for sponsorship or offer discounted parts in barter for mentions and links.

(4) Do use an unlimited bandwidth image host like Flickr which now offers 1TB of free image storage and will not compress photos.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Last edited by Heist; August 27, 2013 at 09:15 AM..
Unread
  (#4)
superdupernunu

August 26, 2013, 09:04 PM

Thanks for the serious and thoughtful feedback fellas. I know there are going to be differing opinions on whats best, seeing as how the question posed is asking for your opinion, so I am taking it all into account.

As okayh pointed out, forums already have the audiences (more so than little 'ol me trying to start a blog or a website). I also am not attempting to get any revenue built up from posting on the build.. though sponsorship discounts and such would be fantastic! haha

I'm thinking of doing a double prong approach such as Heist mentioned... keeping a clean blog post of all the day to day posts and pics/videos and also updating one or two of the larger audi forums every time i have some news just to keep the interest up and have people constantly informed.

Facebook is also a really interesting approach and might be perfect for what I'm trying to do.

My goal is not to gain anything personal out of this, but i want my buddy that is doing all the planning and the actual work, to have the benefit of having his name heavily involved with a large and very detailed build so that it might help him when he moves back home (he's from MD but lives in Charlotte working as an Audi tech down there) an opens up his own shop. My hope is to gain enough following through the detailed and unique build that is to be documented, that people will know his name as the guy that orchestrated this whole project and successfully finished the build.

Thanks again for your input fellas!

let's f*cking rage!
Unread
  (#5)
Your Ad Here

August 27, 2013, 09:19 AM

Facebook's U/I and layout makes it cumbersome to go through anything that has sequencing as its not easily scrollable. The flip-flop side to side timeline appending is annoying, and again, if anyone comments on the page it breaks up the page flow.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

Unread
  (#6)
superdupernunu

August 27, 2013, 09:55 AM

What about a Facebook fan page or a business page?

let's f*cking rage!
Unread
  (#7)
Your Ad Here

August 27, 2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha00311 View Post
What about a Facebook fan page or a business page?
No qualms there. FB is perfect for promotion, communication, and previews.
Just not as the primary documentation repository.

Unread
  (#8)
GP Racer

August 27, 2013, 10:43 AM

If you put it on here do it at 2am. Name your build and post 15-20 times as "reserved for later". Edit as you go. Seen a few people do that and since it's early am time you don't get someone posting in the middle of you reserving your 15-20 posts.

Just my .02

----------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaTorch7 View Post
So in summary you're a little bitch, nobody believes your bitchass about anything, you look like a bitch, you sound like a whiny bitch and you've probably been a bitch for a long time.

All I want to know, how old were you when you realized you were a bitch? or did someone else have to tell you?

The only thing you can Jocky is the keyboard, so why dont you stfu Bitch
Unread
  (#9)
superdupernunu

August 27, 2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qcslvr View Post
If you put it on here do it at 2am. Name your build and post 15-20 times as "reserved for later". Edit as you go. Seen a few people do that and since it's early am time you don't get someone posting in the middle of you reserving your 15-20 posts.

Just my .02
Good point actually! Thanks

let's f*cking rage!
Unread
  (#10)
poz top looking 4 neg bot

August 27, 2013, 10:18 PM

Did you mod that thing yet?

Get some piggie pipes and a flash before you go crazy with the mods!

horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you
Unread
  (#11)
superdupernunu

August 29, 2013, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow View Post
Did you mod that thing yet?

Get some piggie pipes and a flash before you go crazy with the mods!
Doing a full on build brohem.... Larger turbos, meth, full exhaust, internals, suspension, 6-speed custom tranny swap, tune of course, etc....

Goal is to see just how far we can push this engine which up till now hasn't been pushed much past 600-700hp. We are looking at 1200+ hp and 850+ ft-lb AND MAINTAIN CAR AS A STREET LEGAL & USABLE CAR. No exterior mods other than KW V3 suspension

let's f*cking rage!
Unread
  (#12)
poz top looking 4 neg bot

August 29, 2013, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Doing a full on build brohem.... Larger turbos, meth, full exhaust, internals, suspension, 6-speed custom tranny swap, tune of course, etc....

Goal is to see just how far we can push this engine which up till now hasn't been pushed much past 600-700hp. We are looking at 1200+ hp and 850+ ft-lb AND MAINTAIN CAR AS A STREET LEGAL & USABLE CAR. No exterior mods other than KW V3 suspension
Check out this TT LS1 swap.

horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you
Unread
  (#13)
superdupernunu

August 30, 2013, 06:53 AM

I saw that .... The guy threw in an LS1 because he needed an motor for the RS6 he bought, which didn't have an engine in it. LS1 wad way cheaper than a 4.2L TT RS6 engine

let's f*cking rage!
Unread
  (#14)
superdupernunu

August 30, 2013, 06:54 AM

Ill have an estra 4.2TT motor if you know anyone that wants one

let's f*cking rage!
Unread
  (#15)
Your Ad Here

August 30, 2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
I saw that .... The guy threw in an LS1 because he needed an motor for the RS6 he bought, which didn't have an engine in it. LS1 wad way cheaper than a 4.2L TT RS6 engine
Given the complexity of modern integrated systems, I imagine it's difficult and slightly less expensive but not by much to put a LS1 in a RS6 and make it work correctly with the Audi Transmission (unless he ditched the Audi gear train) and MMI stuff. Custom engine mounts, custom mapping, etc.