DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 588
3 members and 585 guests
GRN96WS6, Scot, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Best place to get 78" x 30" Glass or Acrylic sheets for picture frame? Any hook ups?
Unread
  (#1)
Cager

Best place to get 78" x 30" Glass or Acrylic sheets for picture frame? Any hook ups? - October 26, 2014, 08:10 PM

Good evening DCSB,

My fiancee and I have this one little project we are looking to finish up. We got a sweet 72"x24" panoramic aerial view photo of Washington D.C. taken at night time.(Bought the photo) We ordered a frame in size of 78" by 30" and now we are down to finding either glass or acrylic cover for this frame to complete this project.

It is our first go round with a big picture like this. Wanted to see if anyone here had any experience with framing a picture this big? Should I go with the glass route or the acrylic? My father in law thinks that acrylic will not do good and that it will be obvious. I went thru bunch of custom framing websites and a lot of them offer acrylic sheet as the cheap option of protective cover. Anyone got a bigger picture frame with acrylic can share their experience?

This brings me to the second question: Where would you find/buy a sheet this big from? Keep in mind that we are looking to buy two sheets since we want to "float" the picture.

To be honest, I am looking for a good deal. I got quoted $194 for each 78"x30" Clear Plexi Acrylic sheet by Kelly's Arts and Frame in Alexandria. I nearly dropped dead from the quote they gave me.

I looked up Home Depot and found that they sell acrylic sheets for $98 each sheet shipped to a local store. I am not too sure if this would do the job. Also, I would have to get it cut up to spec for my frame. 48 in. x 96 in. x 1/8 in. Acrylic Sheet-MC-100 at The Home Depot

I was hoping to find us a sheet for $100 or less (glass or acrylic readily cut to spec). Acrylic does make some sense to me, but not sure if it gives us a nice look and long lasting look. For sure the "floating" idea is making this project become expensive, but I am determined to make this happen. I think the finished product will be stunning!

I thought about maybe try giving a window company a try for glass, or something along those lines. Anyone got any ideas? Any input or feedback will be appreciated. Thanks!

-J. Beaver
--bike-less for now
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
No more 1050 :(

October 26, 2014, 08:33 PM

Camelhumps on here does glass, they're in Manassas Park. Shoot him a PM. I have no idea on price.
Unread
  (#3)
On vacation

October 26, 2014, 08:45 PM

If you're going to do glass, make sure that a) your frame can handle the weight of a piece that large and b) get either a laminated or tempered piece. Humps can give you more detailed info. Regular 1/8" glass, if it ever breaks, will crack into large, razor sharp pieces.

Also, $98 for the plexi isn't a bad price for a 4'x8'. You'll be hard pressed to find it much cheaper elsewhere. You can cut it yourself but it's kind of a PITA, especially that large. I think Depot may custom cut it for you at no charge, many places do. Good luck dude, sounds like a cool project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
My wife wants to get LASIK or a boob job

She asked my opinion

I told her I have no vested interest in making her eyesight better
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex View Post
Im not really fast enough to notice a difference between tires. I buy the kind thats black and made out of rubber.
Unread
  (#4)
SRWJTS Recruiter

October 26, 2014, 09:14 PM

Lowes cuts it for sure, but they never measure it right so buyer beware.

As the others said, talk to CamelHumps. I've used A-1 Glass (his family's shop) before for a car windshield replacement. Good quality.

"Remember you may love your bike but your bike doesn't love you and that bitch will kill you the first time you do her wrong."

MARRC Cornerworker
http://www.marrc.org/

2010 Triumph Daytona 675 SE
2006 Yamaha R6 - Anniversary Edition - SOLD
2005 Yamaha R6 - SOLD
2001 Yamaha YZF600R - SOLD
Unread
  (#5)
Derpetologist

October 26, 2014, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drz1050 View Post
Camelhumps on here does glass, they're in Manassas Park. Shoot him a PM. I have no idea on price.
+1, he can also help you with acrylic too.

*Not intended to be a factual statement.
Best place to get 78" x 30" Glass or Acrylic sheets for picture frame? Any ho...
Unread
  (#6)
SRWJTS Media and Safety

Best place to get 78" x 30" Glass or Acrylic sheets for picture frame? Any ho... - October 26, 2014, 10:01 PM

Thanks, guys.

I'll drop you a PM with my contact info, Jarvis.

I personally wouldn't go the acrylic route. It is too soft. It will scratch very easily, and if you're looking for something that will look good for a long time, acrylic isn't it.

Edit

Just looked at the size again. Too big for acrylic to look decent. It's going to very apparent that it's acrylic. Wavy, distorted, shit like that.

We do plate glass and lami in house, but lami would be hard to get in 1/8 for a decent price. If we need to go tempered, I can order anything you need.

'04 F4i - Sold
'12 ZX6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nard Dog
I wish there was a way to know you're in the good ol' days, before you've actually left them

Discord - camelhumps#7702

Last edited by Camelhumps; October 26, 2014 at 10:16 PM..
Unread
  (#7)
no one's blowing up moons

October 27, 2014, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelhumps View Post
I personally wouldn't go the acrylic route. It is too soft. It will scratch very easily, and if you're looking for something that will look good for a long time, acrylic isn't it.
Just looked at the size again. Too big for acrylic to look decent. It's going to very apparent that it's acrylic. Wavy, distorted, shit like that.
^This

As an ex-picture framer I can say that:
Home Depot plexi, besides the softer/easier to scratch thing, will start out looking a bit 'cloudy' and it will only get worse.
Framing quality plexi is certainly more expensive than glass and not really much lighter in weight.

Weight is going to be a serious issue in your project even with just one sheet. You really need to make sure the frame will carry it and I wouldn't recommend that second sheet. There are reasonable ways to hang something that size/weight but I can't think of any that won't show in a 'float frame' style.

Have you considered having it dry-mounted?

Physics always wins

. . . . so get that helmet cam! . . . . . . Because the D-K Effect is an STD .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning...3Kruger_effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider View Post
This is what happens when weak minded adults allow children to make decisions. You get stupid shit like this.
unintentional accidental

DISCLAIMER: Yes, I am socially disabled so some things do need to be explained to me.

2013 Suzuki TU250XL3
2010 Triumph Bonneville - I love that fucking bike . . . . Om nom nom nom . . .-Fitz
2009 Suzuki TU250XK9 - KBC Sep 2013
2001 Honda Rebel CMX - KBC Mar 2010

http://flexyourrights.org/
Unread
  (#8)
Cager

October 28, 2014, 08:39 PM

Thanks all. I knew you guys would point me to a right direction!

-J. Beaver
--bike-less for now
Unread
  (#9)
Cager

October 28, 2014, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelhumps View Post
Thanks, guys.

I'll drop you a PM with my contact info, Jarvis.

Edit

We do plate glass and lami in house, but lami would be hard to get in 1/8 for a decent price. If we need to go tempered, I can order anything you need.
Figured. Thats what my father in law said. Acrylic apparently is a no-go then.

You got a response to your PM. Thanks!

-J. Beaver
--bike-less for now
Unread
  (#10)
Cager

October 28, 2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lam@dcsf View Post
^This

As an ex-picture framer I can say that:
Home Depot plexi, besides the softer/easier to scratch thing, will start out looking a bit 'cloudy' and it will only get worse.
Framing quality plexi is certainly more expensive than glass and not really much lighter in weight.

Weight is going to be a serious issue in your project even with just one sheet. You really need to make sure the frame will carry it and I wouldn't recommend that second sheet. There are reasonable ways to hang something that size/weight but I can't think of any that won't show in a 'float frame' style.

Have you considered having it dry-mounted?
Yeah looks like I will have to go with the glass route.

Got to find out how much a 78x30 piece weighs before I can determine whether I can even do one or two. I am confident that my frame is well built to hold some weight. The Rabbet depth is 3/4", I can do as thick as 1/4" but again weight becomes a factor so I was hoping that I could opt with two 1/8" to achieve the floating look. We could go with the mat option if we have to, but hoping to be able to do the floating look.

What does dry-mounted means?

-J. Beaver
--bike-less for now
Unread
  (#11)
On vacation

October 28, 2014, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarvisB View Post
Yeah looks like I will have to go with the glass route.

Got to find out how much a 78x30 piece weighs before I can determine whether I can even do one or two. I am confident that my frame is well built to hold some weight. The Rabbet depth is 3/4", I can do as thick as 1/4" but again weight becomes a factor so I was hoping that I could opt with two 1/8" to achieve the floating look. We could go with the mat option if we have to, but hoping to be able to do the floating look.

The depth of the rabbet isn't the issue so much as the amount of remaining material around it. Given the size, I wouldn't be comfortable with less than about 2 1/2" of solid wood under the panes and even that's on the shorter end. After that, the joints become the next weakest link so make sure you reinforce them with mending plates on the back or screw the meters together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
My wife wants to get LASIK or a boob job

She asked my opinion

I told her I have no vested interest in making her eyesight better
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex View Post
Im not really fast enough to notice a difference between tires. I buy the kind thats black and made out of rubber.
Unread
  (#12)
no one's blowing up moons

October 29, 2014, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarvisB View Post
Dry-mounting is the process of laminating the image to a material stiff enough to hang without a frame. There are many ways, styles and materials to do this with. Some things are just too large to safely (or less expensively) hang with glass.

Sad to say but it doesn't matter what you're framing, it's priced by size. It's more expensive to frame a cheap poster than a small Da Vinci drawing.

How close are you to DC? At this point I'll suggest taking the piece to Frame Of Mine. It's less than a block north of the Marine Barracks on 8th St SE. They'll go over options and prices at no cost whether you frame it there or not. They can better explain the weight issues and what you'd need to do if you go that route. They can show you different types of dry-mount and the kind of frames you'd need to manage the weight.
http://http://www.frameofminedc.com/

Let me know if I can help.

Physics always wins

. . . . so get that helmet cam! . . . . . . Because the D-K Effect is an STD .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning...3Kruger_effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider View Post
This is what happens when weak minded adults allow children to make decisions. You get stupid shit like this.
unintentional accidental

DISCLAIMER: Yes, I am socially disabled so some things do need to be explained to me.

2013 Suzuki TU250XL3
2010 Triumph Bonneville - I love that fucking bike . . . . Om nom nom nom . . .-Fitz
2009 Suzuki TU250XK9 - KBC Sep 2013
2001 Honda Rebel CMX - KBC Mar 2010

http://flexyourrights.org/