DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 526
0 members and 526 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Best way to do taxes
Unread
  (#1)
Traction Control

Best way to do taxes - February 2, 2010, 10:06 AM

I'm amazed this thread doesn't exist yet, lemme know if you find a previous one.

cliffs: how do you do your taxes? turbotax? H&R block type shit? old school paper way?

I started working full time real world job a year and a half ago, so always did my taxes with my mom. now that I got big boy shitty taxes, I wanna know the best way to do them and get the best return. Is it really worth it to see a financial person like H&R block or something?
I did turbo tax last year, and it made it pretty easy. totally worth the $50 as opposed to doing it pen and paper.
Are there any tax "secrets" that you would be kind enough to share? what about all those little deductibles like "did you shit green, on a thursday, after you bought lunch, for your boss: $50 back" ( you know, those ones that no one ever thinks of).

opinions and help please, thank you

please don't shit in my thread, I would like some helpful hints for me and anyone else that needs it

KTM RC8R
KTM RC390 race
Yamaha R6 race
Honda CRF50 mini
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Tecknojoe  
Unread
  (#2)
Site ADMIN

February 2, 2010, 10:09 AM

We use turbotax every year. My financial adviser always says to do it by hand b/c it is less likely for you to get audited.

Fak that. Turbo tax is easy and just get it over with. If your shit is legit, then whatever.

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#3)
Elite Racing

February 2, 2010, 10:10 AM

TurboTax. Been using it for the past 10 years. It's nice when I'm able to transfer data each year, brings over employers info, addresses, etc. Then I just have to go thru and plug in w-2 stuff, 1099-int's, etc.

If you don't have investment properties or complicated taxes, you can pick up a basic TT package that includes state for I think around $40.

Gimme your taxes, I'll do em for you for $20

Chris
Elite Racing
CCS AM #458

Godspeed Bam Bam

VFR Matt: gotta be a winner at something. Cant reach for the stars mind well be king of suck
tecknojoe: we could get together at my house and mount my trailor
vonstallin: whack one off 4 me henrey
thefitzvh: I'm the assholist asshole that ever assholed
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Site ADMIN

February 2, 2010, 10:12 AM

another benefit of using TT is that each year, it keeps your prior years info and auto fills it all in for you. Then it shows you prior years $$ amounts. pretty nice.

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#5)
ZX6R

February 2, 2010, 10:12 AM

i know u can do turbo tax online. is it same as the software? and if i bought the software can i use it for myself and my parents without buying another copy?

You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime.

2014 ZX14R
2006 ZX636

www.MohawkRyderz.com
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ShroomDuck Send a message via MSN to ShroomDuck  
Unread
  (#6)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

February 2, 2010, 10:13 AM

Been using TurboTax since it came out. It rocks. Use to do it by hand before that and was a pain! Plus there are different levels of TT to buy depending on what you own and do. I use the Basic with just 2 jobs, kids and mortgage. Get deluxe if you have to itemize your stuff. You can get TT on sale at Office Depot. Buy the disk and load onto a safe computer. Do all the updates also. It is real easy to do.

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#7)
Site ADMIN

February 2, 2010, 10:13 AM

shroom, i believe it is the same.. I think we buy the SW b/c it gives you a little bit more options. saving to pdf..and some other stuff. I cant remember off the top of my head.

Alex
13 Honda Fury
Unread
  (#8)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

February 2, 2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShroomDuck View Post
i know u can do turbo tax online. is it same as the software? and if i bought the software can i use it for myself and my parents without buying another copy?
When you do the online version you are giving TT all your info and they store it. Sorry but I do not trust them to not get hacked and someone will have all your info. Just buy the disk and yes you can use it on different computers. Just do not register it.

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#9)
Knee Draggin!

February 2, 2010, 10:18 AM

Turbo Tax online. Quick and easy
Unread
  (#10)
GP Champ

February 2, 2010, 10:19 AM

I use turbotax these days. I went to H&R block for my 2007 taxes since that was the year I purchased my home and it was a total waste. They charged me close to $300 just to input my info in to their tax software. I could have done that myself. Plus, anytime I had any questions the guy looked at me like "huh??? ummm I donno"

I did have a big issue with Turbotax last year though -- there was a bug on the MD State tax side and I spent HOURS trying to figure out what I did wrong. Finally, I went through the Turbotax site and found out about the bug. Mind you, the information about the bug was deep down in the site. I signed up for a list to be notified when the bug was fixed and never received a notification. ... just had to go back on the site and try it every few days.

I hate tax time
Unread
  (#11)
2 wheels for life

February 2, 2010, 10:19 AM

Takes me 10 minutes of paper work

Adrenaline Addict
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#12)
Mohawk Ryderz Prez

February 2, 2010, 10:20 AM

tubotax easy as hell cost me $60 to file, filed 2weeks ago already got my state back, federal this friday the 5th, im rich bi*ch.

www.MohawkRyderz.com
http://www.Facebook.com/MohawkRyderz
http://www.twitter.com/MohawkRyderz

2012 zx10r
2004 Cbr1000rr black - Sold
2006 R1 anniversary edition - Sold
2006 Gsxr 600 red/blk - Sold
2006 Gsxr 600 flat Green/Silver - Sold
2007 Gsxr 600 flat blk/pink - wifey's Sold
2004 Yamaha R1 Black Sold
2003 Hayabusa orange Sold
2006 zx6r blk mobile jukebox (contest winner-hater's bike)Sold
2004 R6 blk/red Sold
2007 zx10r blue Sold
2005 zx6r red Sold
2003 R6 blk sold
2007 zx6r blk sold
2003 R6 red sold
2001 ducati 900ss sold
1996 zx6e sold

Xbox 360 - (Mohawk Ryderz)
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#13)
#swag

February 2, 2010, 10:21 AM

I take mine to my parents. They do mine on turbo tax for me..

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Nick  
Unread
  (#14)
Traction Control

February 2, 2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFORC1 View Post
I take mine to my parents. They do mine on turbo tax for me..
BINGO

KTM RC8R
KTM RC390 race
Yamaha R6 race
Honda CRF50 mini
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Tecknojoe  
Unread
  (#15)
Can't Find the Ditch

February 2, 2010, 10:28 AM

H&R block five since '96

06 Honda F4I #36-Bought it back!
First Track Day 9/1/09
MARCC Supporter
TPM
Roger Lyle #36

WE STOLE THE EAGLE FROM THE AIR FORCE, THE ANCHOR FROM THE NAVY AND THE ROPE FROM THE ARMY.
ON THE SEVENTH DAY WHILE GOD RESTED, WE OVERRAN HIS PERIMETER, STOLE THE GLOBE AND WE'VE BEEN RUNNING THE WHOLE SHOW EVER SINCE.