DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 547
2 members and 545 guests
davidcycle, Scot
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
best way to get money out of a deadbeat.
Unread
  (#1)
I came I saw I shat mysef

best way to get money out of a deadbeat. - August 16, 2010, 10:17 AM

OK, this jerk owes me a bunch of money (well, its a lot to me right now) and I KNOW he has it since he's making constant monthly payments to someone else. He has just decided that I won't get paid until he does on the project I was working on and its been almost a year now. The guy is a complete tool.

My lawyer fell off the planet. My case is absolutely ROCK solid and he has admitted owing the money and promised to pay multiple times in writing.
Does anyone know a good lawyer or course of action I should persue?

Please, helpful information only. "kneecap him" and "beat his ass" type comments are fun, but not at all helpful. I just want my money.. legally.

Thanks,
john

-john
wera, ccs - novice # 979 - sv650
Aprilia Falco (sold), Gs500 (sold), KTM300 (sold)

"I'll believe corporations are people when Texas executes one of them."

Separation of Corp. And State!

R.I.P Alex Lyskawa - My heart will never heal from your passing.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to jron  
Unread
  (#2)
Your Ad Here

August 16, 2010, 10:38 AM

- Phone him and let him know you're having some rough times and need repayment to begin.

- Public embarrassment is always a nice way to turn up the heat a bit.

- Lawsuit is the final solution. Expensive, but there's no way to get around it especially when you turn it into a civil collections order and have the ability to garnish wages or ask the court to seize assets.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
GP Champ

August 16, 2010, 11:00 AM

PM all his friends on facebook and all his business contacts. It's not slander if it's true and you only state facts.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Your Ad Here

August 16, 2010, 11:30 AM

^^^Libel not slander if you write it.
But truth is truth.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

Unread
  (#5)
Nothing here

August 16, 2010, 11:48 AM

www.legalzoom.com

Draw up papers on the cheap. Hand them to him and tell him you WILL file if he does not pay you. Inform him that he will also owe for YOUR legal fees as well.
Unread
  (#6)
Retired to most ...

August 16, 2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madali View Post
www.legalzoom.com

Draw up papers on the cheap. Hand them to him and tell him you WILL file if he does not pay you. Inform him that he will also owe for YOUR legal fees as well.
This!

God Speed Jeff! You'll never be forgotten.

BOOSTZX3 : in all seriousness head injuries ain't no joke. I've had around 10 concussions and now I ride a Buell Don't let it happen to you!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to JohnnySpeed1KRR  
Unread
  (#7)

August 16, 2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madali View Post
www.legalzoom.com

They seem to want to hand me off to a local lawyer, of which they have none in VA... I think another option will be required..

But thanks everyone, so far..

-john

Unread
  (#8)
Ling Long

August 16, 2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnySpeed954 View Post
This!
He can't be held liable for your legal fees in a civil dispute in VA.

U
C
Lots of
Asians
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to YaoMatt Send a message via AIM to YaoMatt Send a message via MSN to YaoMatt  
Unread
  (#9)
Licensed Rider

August 16, 2010, 12:36 PM

Also, in fairfax county, if it's less than 5000$ it's small claims. yes, he'll be noted as owing you money on the court records BUT there is no way for them to enforce him to pay you. for that, you'll have to file other papers for garnishment of wages and this other one (forgot the name) where they will go into his place, grab his stuff, and sell it auction, tada here's your money...

i'm going through the same thing right now.
Unread
  (#10)
Jake's Mom

August 16, 2010, 12:44 PM

if your case is that rock solid you won't need a lawyer. Just go file it.

2005 R6 - Track
2012 BMW S1000RR - Street
Ride Like A Girl Racing
Diva Rydaz
R.I.P. Wayne aka Godson
R.I.P. Sue Miller
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#11)
T.R.I.T.D.H

August 16, 2010, 01:36 PM

If he is making monthly payments to someone else then does he really have it?

I don't know but I mean if you are talking $500 or less I would just take it as an expensive lesson. I wouldn't go for it in court unless you were talking a few thousand.

I'm not rich or wealthly or in any financial situation to downtalk someone else's but through my eyes usually when I lend someone $$$ (cough, for the first time) I lend it under the impression that I won't get it back...and if it's MORE than what I'm willing to lose than I won't lend it at all. If I get the money back from that person then hey, they just proved their worth to me as an honorable person if not...they can definitely never count on me lending them ANYTHING.

With all of that being said the best way to get your money back is just start asking the guy to help you with manual labor chores around your house and stuff...b/c ideally suing him or filing claims doesn't seem to fit the bill for you just based on the fact you are asking the .net community what is the best way...

recoup your money some other way than financial payment.

What do you value more? Life or Image?

"I don't ride, I usually just sit around wearing a tshirt and my icon back protector and talk shit about anyone who does not have a liter bike. That's how you can pick me out of a crowd. I also wear a red tophat."
Unread
  (#12)
Its me bytches..

August 16, 2010, 02:35 PM

.357 magnum
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Daekwan Send a message via AIM to Daekwan  
Unread
  (#13)

August 16, 2010, 04:22 PM

The guy is a total dick in every way imaginable. Those that I could "tell" already know he owes me the money, about 10k for almost a year now. He owed me 15k before but paid me 5 of it when I sicked the lawyer on him last time. He is his own business and he tells me he "doesn't have the money till he gets payed for the project I worked on". Yet somehow he's managing to pay some 40k each month to a contractor that he is still using for other work. What a lying asshole.

-john

Unread
  (#14)
Your Ad Here

August 16, 2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jron View Post
The guy is a total dick in every way imaginable. Those that I could "tell" already know he owes me the money, about 10k for almost a year now. He owed me 15k before but paid me 5 of it when I sicked the lawyer on him last time. He is his own business and he tells me he "doesn't have the money till he gets payed for the project I worked on". Yet somehow he's managing to pay some 40k each month to a contractor that he is still using for other work. What a lying asshole.
Ok, I didn't know it was this kind of money. I thought we were talking about a few hundred or maybe a few thousand tops.

He owes you $10K, and yet is still paying someone else $400K+ a year for services? Yeah, screw all that - make one call and tell him either to pay up in the next 10 business days, or you'll file suit. And let him know you intend to make it slow and expensive for him.

Last edited by Heist; August 16, 2010 at 04:40 PM..
Unread
  (#15)
Groping is a skill...

August 16, 2010, 04:33 PM

It's real easy bro. You have to take a couple of hours out of your day to go to the courthouse and start a small claims claim (I imagine he owes u under 5K). You pay the filing fees up front (usually btw $45-$100). He will get served shortly after that and most likely pay. If not then u go to court get ur money + interest, court fees, filing fee. If he doesn't have the money u have the option to tie it into his wages.

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to