DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 540
6 members and 534 guests
2blueyam, beatle, CrazyMotorcycleGuy, davidcycle, nootherids, RRonin
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Big Changes For The Next Corvette
Unread
  (#1)
Your Ad Here

Big Changes For The Next Corvette - June 18, 2011, 03:09 PM

I know there are a few Vette fans on the board. Pretty big news, say good-bye to tradition. It will still be front engined V8, but:
- OHC instead of OHV
- Displacement will be cut down to ~3.0L from 7.0L
- TURBO(!) and a high revver instead of a NA torque mill.

And the interior will finally move away from that cheapy looking Cobalt on steroids look and feel.

There will sill be a OHV NA torque lump for traditionalist but the turbo will now be the king of the hill.

Next Corvette Will Be Powered by Small, High-Revving Turbo V-8

“We have to target a very different sort of buyer.”

(it's about time... )
Anxious to attract the sort of high-performance buyers increasingly drawn to European sports cars from the likes of Porsche, Ferrari and Lamborghini, General Motors is planning some major changes for the next-generation Chevrolet Corvette – starting with a high-revving, small-displacement powertrain, that will substitute for the big V-8s traditionally found under the hood of the Chevy two-seater.
GM has approved the use of a very European-style V-8 that will be only slightly larger than 3 liters in displacement. The engine will be an overhead-cam, rather than traditional overhead-valve design, using a dry sump oil system that’s particularly well suited to high-performance road courses rather than straight-line acceleration. The engine is expected to feature a narrow 80.5 mm bore and a long stroke, more like a Ferrari or Lamborghini powertrain than the approach used for traditional Motor City metal.

A very senior GM executive also confirmed that the new engine will be turbocharged, which will help yield a broad torque curve and maximum performance under a variety of driving conditions. The engine is expected to deliver in excess of 400 horsepower, which means a specific output in the range of 125 horsepower per liter. That’s the sort of number that would help the next-generation Vette stack up well against the likes of a Porsche 911 or Lamborghini Gallardo.

The engine is likely to be extremely high-revving, perhaps climbing to a near-Formula One-class 10,000 RPMs, suggested one source involved in the project.

The revelation tracks in line with a recent comment by General Motors’ North American President Mark Reuss, who recently promised that the so-called C7 Corvette, due to market in less than two years, will be “completely different” from the very American sports cars that have come before it. Since its launch in 1953, Corvette has been governed by the philosophy, “there’s no replacement for displacement.”

While Reuss and other senior executives have declined to discuss plans for the next Corvette publicly, several well-placed sources have given TheDetroitBureau.com a good sense of what’s to come. The small V-8 underscores what one of those insiders says is the desire to “target a very different sort of buyer for the next Corvette. Let’s face it, the current customer is getting old.” But without making significant changes, that source acknowledged, younger sports car fans will continue to be “conquested” by more modern, high-tech imports.

Significantly, Corvette won’t abandon its more classic powertrain roots entirely. There will be several different types of engines offered for the C7, including a more classic, big-block OHV V-8 designed to appeal to traditionalists.

In fact, some of the design cues of the new car will be borrowed from early generations. There have even been rumors of the C7 going with the split window of the very collectible 1963 Corvette, though TheDetroitBureau.com has not been able to confirm that that particular detail has been given the go.

Meanwhile, expect the interior to be much more modern than the current car’s, which GM’s global design chief Ed Welburn admits “is a disappointment.” The styling boss, a long-time Corvette fan himself, says he is personally overseeing the development of the C7 interior and promises it will be “absolutely world-class.”

Adopting a mid-engine layout, rather than the long-running front-engine design, is considered a strong possibility, though it would be a significant engineering shift for GM. Nonetheless, sources say that wouldn’t be entirely out of line, as the Corvette has often served as the technological test bed for the maker.

GM adopted the then-radical approach of using a fiberglass body when the original 1953 Corvette was launched. The sports car has introduced plenty of other features over the years, including the MagneRide suspension, which uses a magnetically controlled fluid to continuously vary suspension settings to match road conditions and driving behavior.

When migrating from the fifth-generation Corvette to today’s C6 model, GM trimmed weight and brought the sports car’s overall size down to something closer to that of a current Porsche 911. Anticipate further cuts in mass for the upcoming remake of Chevy’s halo car.

GM is investing $131 million in the Bowling Green, Kentucky plant that produces the Corvette to prepare for the C7 launch.

The use of the new small-displacement V-8 is likely to have some knock-on effects at GM, said one source. As with current Corvette powertrain technology, the high-tech engine will find its way into the Cadillac line-up, it appears, where it would help that brand’s V-Series evolve into a more sophisticated offering, rather than the brute-force line-up it is today.

The switch to a smaller, turbocharged V-8 isn’t exclusive to GM, incidentally. Ford made the move with its big F-Series pickup for 2011, offering a downsized EcoBoost twin-turbo V-6 — which delivers the same sort of towing power as the F-150′s biggest V-8, while yielding significant fuel economy improvements.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Contributes nothing

June 18, 2011, 03:14 PM

I like where this is headed

-Craig

Confusing the issue, since before you were ugly.

Woody: i'd probably bang her if she didn't look like a man

spud: yeah, i was checking out dicks
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to yzl337  
Unread
  (#3)
poz top looking 4 neg bot

June 18, 2011, 03:34 PM

I don't see this happening, but who knows...

horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Your Ad Here

June 18, 2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzl337
I like where this is headed
It's about time they head in this direction. GM is actually 10 years behind. They should have started turning the page when they released the C6.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

Unread
  (#5)
GP Racer

June 18, 2011, 04:23 PM

I'm quite happy to see this happen as well, but I'm a little leery of messing with the formula they've used to so much success in the past.

For flat out performance on something bigger than an autocross course, Europe struggles to produce anything that'll keep up with a Z06 for double the price. It's hard to compete with a Vette when it starts with an engine with 7 L of displacement and big rubber all the way around. Smaller, high-revving motors mean more cost and complexity and higher $/performance.

Sure, they're targeting a more sophisticated buyer with a more sophisticated car, but I doubt they'll produce a product with anywhere near the performance bang for the buck that they have now.

*edit* I'm a big fan of going to a mid-engine layout and doing something about the interior, but I want to see the heart of the fire-breathing, big-bore American sports car survive. Losing the pushrods would be nice.

'02 SV-650S track bike (for sale, but in Shreveport, LA)
'05 Yamaha TTR-125L
'94 Dodge Viper RT/10
other boring stuff

Last edited by mangle; June 18, 2011 at 04:26 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to mangle  
Unread
  (#6)
The last urrbendah

June 18, 2011, 04:56 PM

Will there be a CEO upgrade option as well? If not then it shouldn't even get a second look.

13 KTM 200 XC-W
15 KTM 350 XC-F

I might have a dirt bike problem.
Unread
  (#7)
Meh

June 18, 2011, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
It's about time they head in this direction. GM is actually 10 years behind. They should have started turning the page when they released the C6.
How is a 400+ HP NA pushrod motor that gets over 25+ mpg on the highway "behind" again?
Unread
  (#8)
Silence... I keeeel you

June 18, 2011, 06:13 PM

Interesting. I've always liked the vettes except for the cheesy interiors.

Looking forward to seeing how things work out. Been thinking of picking up a 2002-2004. I wonder if this will bring the price down or raise it up.

Then again... That's just me.

On the internet... Everyone is an expert.

And now...The dancing Banana:
Unread
  (#9)
Your Ad Here

June 18, 2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHatch View Post
How is a 400+ HP NA pushrod motor that gets over 25+ mpg on the highway "behind" again?
You already answered your question.
Overhead valve, pushrod motor? That's technology and a configuration from 2 generations ago.

The Germans for instance get the same HP & economy figures from NA engines with 2 less cylinders and nearly half the displacement.

(Check out the new Porsche GT3 RS 4.0 engine. It's rated at 500hp/339tq from a 3.8L, NA Flat 6 getting ~22mpg highway. )

And yes, the price issue will always be a talking point of the Corvette - but also bear in mind the imports have to tack on a 5.0% Import Duty & Tariff and GM has economy of scale w/respect to production capacity.

Last edited by Heist; June 18, 2011 at 06:31 PM..
Unread
  (#10)
Your Ad Here

June 18, 2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drnknmnky13 View Post
Interesting. I've always liked the vettes except for the cheesy interiors.

Looking forward to seeing how things work out. Been thinking of picking up a 2002-2004. I wonder if this will bring the price down or raise it up.
They'll probably go up at the outset as the traditionalist will scramble to pick up the last of what they feel are the "real" Corvettes.

Unread
  (#11)
Groping is a skill...

June 18, 2011, 07:15 PM

I can't see the Corvette purists going for something like this. Going turbo with smaller displacement will be admitting to foreign superiority. I'm all for it though. Shit my 2.0L 4cyl 4G63 was putting out 598awhp on C16.

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#12)
AMA Superbike Champ

June 18, 2011, 07:49 PM

this is unbelievable. i would never ever thought this would happen. next gen M3 gonna be turbo charged too.

2005 Yamaha R6 Raven
1982 Suzuki GS650L
1974 Honda CB550 (Cafe' racer Project)
1971 Honda CB450 (currently restoring to stock may be a future Cafe')
Unread
  (#13)
Groping is a skill...

June 18, 2011, 07:54 PM

It's easier to make power in turbo applications while keeping the emissions in check. Plus it let's the aftermarket have a field day. I just hope they use solid internals allowing owners to bump the power up on the stock block.

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#14)
Your Ad Here

June 18, 2011, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkishexpress View Post
I can't see the Corvette purists going for something like this. Going turbo with smaller displacement will be admitting to foreign superiority. I'm all for it though. Shit my 2.0L 4cyl 4G63 was putting out 598awhp on C16.
That's the realization GM is coming to; the Corvette purist are graying and dying off and the next and our generation could care less about thumping, V8 engine.

This is not a knock on the Vette as it stands, but at some point you have to break with tradition.

Unread
  (#15)
done for now...

June 18, 2011, 09:17 PM