DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 584
0 members and 584 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Bike night to waterfront...no, because the shit got Flooded
Unread
  (#1)
Banned!

Bike night to waterfront...no, because the shit got Flooded - April 18, 2011, 10:42 AM

Whack

Georgetown flooding evacuates buildings - @TBD Latest | TBD.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg leveebreaks5.jpg (176.0 KB, 211 views)
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
2 wheels for life

April 18, 2011, 10:46 AM

kinda wanna check it out

Adrenaline Addict
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
I hate Hybrid drivers

April 18, 2011, 10:55 AM

I noticed the water was really high when I came over the 14th street bridge today. Wish I brought my bicycle and camera to work today.
Unread
  (#4)
Licensed Rider

April 18, 2011, 11:12 AM

GTFO! URBAN KAYAKING!

+2012 BMW S1000RR- CURRENT
+2005 CBR600RR- SOLD
+2007 APRILIA SXV 550 -SOLD
+2007 CBR600RR -STOLEN
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

April 18, 2011, 11:30 AM

check out this link

Flood Alert » We Love DC
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Budah79 Send a message via AIM to Budah79  
Unread
  (#6)
Your Ad Here

April 18, 2011, 11:30 AM

I was in Gtown Saturday night and noticed the Potomac level was high. Sequoias had the flood barriers raised in the courtyard area.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

April 18, 2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
I was in Gtown Saturday night and noticed the Potomac level was high. Sequoias had the flood barriers raised in the courtyard area.
guess it didnt work! those things are so damn old too
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Budah79 Send a message via AIM to Budah79  
Unread
  (#8)
Ninja in Training....

April 18, 2011, 11:45 AM

Yeah I noticed it when I was working downtown Saturday night it was kind of cool to see up close.

- Craig

If you don't know go ask yo momma

'04 R1 aka "The Bastard"
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to roadrunner78 Send a message via AIM to roadrunner78  
Unread
  (#9)
Give me the Ban Button!

April 18, 2011, 11:54 AM

Damn. Those businesses are going to get hit hard by this. There is more rain in the forecast this week also. Is it to late at this point to raise the flood walls? I guess if they could be raised and actually functioned properly would it cause more damage leaving the water that is already there in as apposed to possibly the water level going up if the rain in the forecast is sever.e

MY SPELLING SUCKS....DEAL WITH IT

MyCanikon.net A place to hang out if you are interested in talking photography.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Nubbs Send a message via AIM to Nubbs  
Unread
  (#10)
Ninja in Training....

April 18, 2011, 11:59 AM

I believe if they try and raise the walls right there it would mean that people could no longer dock there in the summer time not that it would a huge problem but the patrons may not like it. But they have got to fix the drainage in that area that is for sure.

- Craig

If you don't know go ask yo momma

'04 R1 aka "The Bastard"
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to roadrunner78 Send a message via AIM to roadrunner78  
Unread
  (#11)
Your Ad Here

April 18, 2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubbs
Damn. Those businesses are going to get hit hard by this. There is more rain in the forecast this week also. Is it to late at this point to raise the flood walls? I guess if they could be raised and actually functioned properly would it cause more damage leaving the water that is already there in as apposed to possibly the water level going up if the rain in the forecast is sever.e
Yes, raising them at this point would be of no use. When the water receeds it would have no place to go and since that entire courtyard is concrete, it would only create a giant festering swimming pool.

The kick in the balls in all this. The fountain pool was drained and being cleaned by a team of workers when I was there 4 weeks ago to prep it for summer use. So much for that.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

Unread
  (#12)
Your Ad Here

April 18, 2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner78
I believe if they try and raise the walls right there it would mean that people could no longer dock there in the summer time not that it would a huge problem but the patrons may not like it. But they have got to fix the drainage in that area that is for sure.
They could still dock, they just would not be able to walk directly into Tony & Joes from the boardwalk. They would have to walk around the backside of Sweden House.

Unread
  (#13)
Give me the Ban Button!

April 18, 2011, 12:10 PM

Wow that really sucks. Those restaurants have to have some interior damage as well. I wonder if they are able to carry flood insurance since they are in a flood area. I know in Illinois some houses along the Fox river couldn't even get flood insurance because it is a fact that every 5-10 years the area floods.

How do those flood walls work? Somebody basically has to flip a switch and they go up? How long does it take for them to go up and than is it as easy as flipping a switch to get them to go back down? I am kind of in visioning those mechanical barriers that they have put in front of all the government building drive way entrances.

MY SPELLING SUCKS....DEAL WITH IT

MyCanikon.net A place to hang out if you are interested in talking photography.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Nubbs Send a message via AIM to Nubbs  
Unread
  (#14)
GP Champ

April 18, 2011, 12:24 PM

This has happened before, I think back in 97, the water flooded all the garages and business on K st under the overpass as well, if they raise the walls now and start to pump out the water it will help. but waiting for the water to recede is gonna take forever, and since the fountain area is bowl like, that water will go no where, they will still have to pump it out.

Places that are probably really fucked is Tonys, Cabanas and Sequoia.

wonder if any of that water made it into the garage under the building......
Unread
  (#15)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

April 18, 2011, 12:25 PM

WOW...gotta post on FB

The Nightmare of Summit Point
WERA Nov# 325 / CCS # 326
2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) | 2011 ZX10RR(Race)
2011 R6 (Street & Track) | 2009 WR250F
GunnRunnaz.com|GR on FaceBook | www.2666ad.com|
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin