DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 669
2 members and 667 guests
davidcycle, WvGoDFather
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Biker shoots dead speed camera man
Unread
  (#1)
Eddie would go ...

Biker shoots dead speed camera man - April 23, 2009, 08:58 AM

Anger issues anyone? "I didn't mean for anyone to get hurt"

Biker shoots dead speed camera man
AP News

Document: Photo radar shooting suspect apologized

This photo provided Monday April 20, 2009, by the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office, shows Thomas Patrick Destories.
Destories, a 68-year-old Phoenix man, was booked into Maricopa County jail on suspicion of first-degree murder, in connection with the shooting death of a man operating a photo radar van in Phoenix, after he made "incriminating statements," Phoenix police spokesman Sgt. Andy Hill said. Maricopa County Sheriff's Office / AP Photo

By AMANDA LEE MYERS

Associated Press Writer

PHOENIX -- A suspect arrested in the shooting death of a man operating a photo radar van along a freeway told police he didn't mean for anyone to get hurt, according to a court document released Tuesday.

Thomas Patrick Destories was riding his motorcycle when he was arrested Monday on a first-degree murder charge in the death of 51-year-old Doug Georgianni, who was shot Sunday night in the photo radar van.

"I'm sorry. I was going to turn myself in," Destories, 68, told police, according to a probable cause statement filed in Maricopa County Superior Court. "I didn't mean for anyone to get hurt. I saw it (the shooting) on the news. The gun is in the saddlebag."

Police said they had not determined a motive for the shooting.
It wasn't immediately clear whether Destories had a lawyer. He was being held in Maricopa County jail on a $2 million bond and was due to appear in court Monday.

A call to Destories' Phoenix home went to voice mail, which was full. Calls to his family were not returned or their voice mail was full.

Phoenix police Sgt. Andy Hill said Monday that investigators determined a first-degree murder charge was appropriate because of an analysis of items found at the scene and statements Destories made to police. Hill's comment came when asked about the assumption many people make that photo radar vans aren't manned.

Five large-caliber gunshots hit the marked Department of Public Safety van; three were grouped on the window of Georgianni's seat, according to the probable cause statement.

Police found a magazine for a .45-caliber pistol in Destories' front pocket when they arrested him, the statement said.
Georgianni had worked for three months for RedFlex Traffic Systems Inc., which has a state contract to operate the photo radar systems.

He was sitting in the van doing paperwork with an interior light turned on when he was shot, according to the probable cause statement. Hill said investigators believe Destories stopped behind the van and then slowly pulled alongside it and fired a gun multiple times.

His sister, Melanie Georgianni, told The Associated Press that Georgianni called his wife after he was shot, and she called 911. It was the last time the two spoke.

Melanie Georgianni said her brother took his job as a photo radar operator seriously.

"He knew that he was serving the public and was helping to uphold the law and helping to keep the streets safer for the community," she said. "For that, he really enjoyed what he did."

She said Georgianni and his wife married in 2006 and were planning to celebrate their anniversary next week. "They just took great, great joy in the simple things every day," she said.

She said everyone in the family, including Georgianni's parents and six siblings, are in "terrible shock.

"It's one thing to lose a loved one, but to lose one in this manner - you can't describe the feelings and the thoughts that go through your head about what happened," she said.

Arizona became the first state to use photo speed enforcement on state highways last year.

Critics say the program is costly and unfair to motorists. Proponents say photo radar saves lives by slowing motorists and frees up police to tackle other problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
No one gives a fuck about your puff out your chest bravado.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
TPG - screw face

April 23, 2009, 09:02 AM

heard about this on the news a few days ago....NUTS
Unread
  (#3)
GP Champ

April 23, 2009, 09:26 AM

Biker shoots dead speed camera man.

Yeah, I know, it's not the place for this but... That headline made me laugh. Biker shot a dead camera man? WTF?
Unread
  (#4)
I'm Taking Over!

April 23, 2009, 09:52 AM

I wonder if he was just trying to take out the speed Cam, and didnt know anyone was in it...

04 R6 & (0OO \ (||||)(||||) / OO0)
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Bofessional Send a message via AIM to Bofessional  
Unread
  (#5)
Now with a TBSP of love

April 23, 2009, 09:56 AM

Why would he shoot a dead guy?
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Spiritnblk  
Unread
  (#6)
Groping is a skill...

April 23, 2009, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bofessional View Post
I wonder if he was just trying to take out the speed Cam, and didnt know anyone was in it...
Thats what I thought but out of the 5 shots apparently three of them were grouped right on the driver side window. Coincidence? Don't know but it could have been.

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#7)
I came I saw I shat mysef

April 23, 2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkishexpress View Post
Thats what I thought but out of the 5 shots apparently three of them were grouped right on the driver side window. Coincidence? Don't know but it could have been.
that and the guy was sitting in the van with the interior light on... wouldn't that have made him perfectly visible?

-john
wera, ccs - novice # 979 - sv650
Aprilia Falco (sold), Gs500 (sold), KTM300 (sold)

"I'll believe corporations are people when Texas executes one of them."

Separation of Corp. And State!

R.I.P Alex Lyskawa - My heart will never heal from your passing.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to jron  
Unread
  (#8)
Site Owner

April 23, 2009, 10:47 AM

Apparently 55 doesn't save lives.

(sorry, RIP!)

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#9)
I'm Taking Over!

April 23, 2009, 11:08 AM

Only Dude knows why I guess... I would have just used Spray Paint on the Cam... Cheaper than Bullets... No Mess... Done Quietly.... No Destruction of Private property charge... Untraceable.... fumes wake up the nostrils... Naw... I just wouldnt be speeding is all... Please do not use any of my thought as suggestions...

04 R6 & (0OO \ (||||)(||||) / OO0)
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Bofessional Send a message via AIM to Bofessional  
Unread
  (#10)
TPG og

April 23, 2009, 01:01 PM

Jeeese, a middle finger would've sufficed. 10 bucks says he's 1%'r.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to b00st  
Unread
  (#11)
One and Only

April 23, 2009, 01:23 PM

The only reason I think it really may have been an "accident", is that he apologized and didn't put up a fight when confronted.

For being crazy, that seems pretty level-headed.

Right up the 1 hole.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Cloaca  
Unread
  (#12)
Officially Addicted to Posting

April 23, 2009, 01:39 PM

Why are they focusing on the fact that he is a "biker"? If he drove a car would they have said, "Car Driver Shoots Dead Speed Camera Man?" They dont even say in the report if the shots were fired from his motorcycle. Just that he was riding when he was arrested and had the gun on him.
Unread
  (#13)
Eddie would go ...

April 23, 2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG40cal View Post
Why are they focusing on the fact that he is a "biker"? If he drove a car would they have said, "Car Driver Shoots Dead Speed Camera Man?" They dont even say in the report if the shots were fired from his motorcycle. Just that he was riding when he was arrested and had the gun on him.
"He was sitting in the van doing paperwork with an interior light turned on when he was shot, according to the probable cause statement. Hill said investigators believe Destories stopped behind the van and then slowly pulled alongside it and fired a gun multiple times."

doesn't say what he 'pulled alongside' in or on..... scooter ftw?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
No one gives a fuck about your puff out your chest bravado.
Unread
  (#14)
Officially Addicted to Posting

April 23, 2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
"He was sitting in the van doing paperwork with an interior light turned on when he was shot, according to the probable cause statement. Hill said investigators believe Destories stopped behind the van and then slowly pulled alongside it and fired a gun multiple times."

doesn't say what he 'pulled alongside' in or on..... scooter ftw?
Ah, I over read that part. Either way though, I dont see why the focus is on the fact that he is a motorcycle rider. I could understand mentioning it in the article (the fact that he shot from his bike), but to objectify him like that in the title is asinine.
Unread
  (#15)
Serial Killer

April 23, 2009, 02:51 PM

I just wonder why he would shoot a dead camera man

I'm a lead farmer, motherfucker!!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Diggy Send a message via AIM to Diggy