DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 521
0 members and 521 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Black History: Contemporary Keith Black, MD
Unread
  (#1)
Derpentine Dealer

Black History: Contemporary Keith Black, MD - February 4, 2011, 09:43 AM

Keith Black - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Keith Black is a world-renowned neurosurgeon and highly regarded researcher. I first heard of Keith Black in 2001 when my late mother was diagnosed with glioblastoma. I was in grad school, and a former student of my coadvisor had recently joined Black's lab at Cedars-Sinai in LA. My coadvisor, John Wu, suggested I take my mother there for surgery. That didn't work out because of the short timeline we were on, but I did become familiar with Keith Black's program and accomplishments during that period.

In fact, my mother received excellent surgical treatment from Dr. Craig H. Yorke, neurosurgeon in Topeka, Kansas, also African-American. I asked him about Keith Black and of course, he knew him and found inspiration in Black's accomplishments. One of the very first thing that my mother's neuro-oncologist at M.D. Anderson said was, "Whoever did your brain surgery did fantastic work."

Among other things, Black's is a story of parental perseverance. Check it out (from wiki page):
Keith Black was born in Tuskegee, Alabama. His mother, Lillian, was a teacher and his father, Robert, was the principal at a racially segregated elementary school in Auburn, Alabama; unable to integrate the student body, Black's father instead integrated the faculty, raised standards, and brought more challenging subjects to the school. Unwilling to send their son to the substandard segregated high school in Auburn, Black's parents found new jobs and relocated the family to Shaker Heights, Ohio. Black attended Shaker Heights High School. Already interested in medicine, Black was admitted to an apprenticeship program for minority students at Case Western Reserve University, and then became a teenaged lab assistant for Frederick Cross and Richard Jones (inventors of the Cross-Jones artificial heart valve) at St. Luke's Hospital in Cleveland. At 17, he won an award in a national science competition for research on the damage done to red blood cells in patients with heart-valve replacements. He attended the University of Michigan in a program that allowed him to earn both his undergraduate degree and his medical degree in 6 years. He received his M.D. degree from the University of Michigan Medical School in 1981.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Meh

February 4, 2011, 09:59 AM

Good read.

Although not politically popular, Condoleezza Rice's story and accomplishments are quite significant as well.
Unread
  (#3)
Your Ad Here

February 4, 2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHatch View Post
Good read.

Although not politically popular, Condoleezza Rice's story and accomplishments are quite significant as well.
Condi isn't popular because she committed the "unspoken sin" in the black community.

Got educated, got into a new social class, got bougie, got in bed with the Republicans, then distanced herself and never gave back.

She was never labeled a sellout, like say Michael Steele or Alan Keyes (or even Oprah for a period), but she lived in the neighborhood.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Meh

February 4, 2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
Condi isn't popular because she committed the "unspoken sin" in the black community.

Got educated, got into a new social class, got bougie, got in bed with the Republicans, then distanced herself and never gave back.

She was never labeled a sellout, like say Michael Steele or Alan Keyes (or even Oprah for a period), but she lived in the neighborhood.
Please don't tell me that you feel that way.

Does that not indicate the necessity of the re-examination the "black community's" values if the "unspoken sin" is getting educated and advancing yourself?
Unread
  (#5)
Nubbs ban yourself!

February 4, 2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:

I found Condoleezza Rice to be a pretty amazing woman.
Condoleezza Rice: Biography from Answers.com

Rice works very hard not to reveal her own views, but instead to gather the information provided and present it to the president. Newsweek 's Thomas stated, "She has often said that she is 'determined to leave this town' without anyone outside Bush's tight inner circle ever figuring out where she stands on major issues. She claims that she 'rarely' tells the president her private opinions, and if she does, she never shares her advice to the president, not even with her closest aides."

To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train
religion is just a misspelling of superstition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
Once again I forgive you for your self-righteousness, bigotry and prejudice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
I'll also thank them for proving that you don't need the force to get a woman to make you a sammich.
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."
-Benjamin Franklin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYpOF...embedded#at=36
http://www.bachbio.com/gunsavelives.htm
Unread
  (#6)
Your Ad Here

February 4, 2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHatch View Post
Please don't tell me that you feel that way.

Does that not indicate the necessity of the re-examination the "black community's" values if the "unspoken sin" is getting educated and advancing yourself?
Did I say I feel that way? Don't be coy - education, achieving, and advancing yourself has nothing to do with it. That has always been the goal. No different that the Jewish, Irish, Italians, or any other number of groups. That's what people sacrificed and died for.

The unspoken sin is about how you carry yourself, who you align yourself and identify with, what you do, what doors you open and ladders you leave up, and how you address and show face for your community at large after you "get there."

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

Unread
  (#7)
Nubbs ban yourself!

February 4, 2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Did I say I feel that way? Don't be coy - education, achieving, and advancing yourself has nothing to do with it. That has always been the goal. No different that the Jewish, Irish, Italians, or any other number of groups. That's what people sacrificed and died for.

The unspoken sin is about how you carry yourself, who you align yourself and identify with, what you do, what doors you open and ladders you leave up, and how you address and show face for your community at large after you "get there."
Her job and her life is not about being another martin luther king or advocate for the black community. To judge her as such is simply wrong and selfish. She found a love for politics in college and went on the hold one of the top positions in this country.
The man she replaced in that position didn't agree with the President and stepped down.
I think Condolezza Rice found the opportunity to make sure the information she was giving was as accurate, honest and as detached as possible. I think you and many might be surprised at her own "personal" views but that isn't the job of that position.

To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train

Quote:
Quote:
I'll also thank them for proving that you don't need the force to get a woman to make you a sammich.
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."
-Benjamin Franklin
Unread
  (#8)
Derpentine Dealer

February 4, 2011, 11:18 AM

This douchenozzle committed the "unspoken sin" in the white community.

Unread
  (#9)
Your Ad Here

February 4, 2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2sport View Post
I found Condoleezza Rice to be a pretty amazing woman.
Condoleezza Rice: Biography from Answers.com

Rice works very hard not to reveal her own views, but instead to gather the information provided and present it to the president. Newsweek 's Thomas stated, "She has often said that she is 'determined to leave this town' without anyone outside Bush's tight inner circle ever figuring out where she stands on major issues. She claims that she 'rarely' tells the president her private opinions, and if she does, she never shares her advice to the president, not even with her closest aides."

I did not say she wasn't. But her position to be as closed lipped as possible and never voice a stance or view on anything was the double edged sword that left a people with a lukewarm feeling about her.

When an African American reaches a point of prominence such as this we expect them to be firm and have a voice - not be demur and coy. It in turn makes people feel uneasy, "Where does she stand? What's her identity? Is she fighting or just going along with the old boy system?"

The same sort of feelings apply to Clarence Thomas. Unlike Thurgood Marshall, no one really knew where he stood. He is still one of the most invisible Supreme Court Justices on the bench. His decisions and opinions are often the shortest. He frequently asks the least questions during a trial or even comments.

Worse, he spoke out against affirmative action after he himself took advantage of it to get into Yale(!) and even working as an EEOC trial lawyer.

A Gullah who finally "gets there" and then speaks out against programs that would help level the the playing field a bit, was like watching a Cuban who escaped Castro turning around and setting up a pro-Communist office. Many people felt betrayed.

Unread
  (#10)
GP Champ

February 4, 2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:

Yeah thats BS. My cousins called me a sellout too because I spoke proper English. I wouldnt trade that for his crack pipe so....

And a lot of people never give back. Black people need to get over that shit. Let them make some change and they'll be singing the same tune.

BTW, if anyone wants to pull the race card, Im black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonstallin View Post
Stinky:
Im so excited im about to pre-blast in my pants.....then....it hits me...
I smell her arm pits and i damn near threw up!!!!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to hfam95 Send a message via AIM to hfam95  
Unread
  (#11)
Your Ad Here

February 4, 2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeShirtDude View Post
This douchenozzle committed the "unspoken sin" in the white community.

YouTube - Rubbish British Rapper
LMAO! I thought this guy was trying to be The Streets until he said "Stan"...then I realized it was Eminem.

Unread
  (#12)
Nubbs ban yourself!

February 4, 2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
I did not say she wasn't. But her position to be as closed lipped as possible and never voice a stance or view on anything was the double edged sword that left a people with a lukewarm feeling about her.

When an African American reaches a point of prominence such as this we expect them to be firm and have a voice - not be demur and coy. It in turn makes people feel uneasy, "Where does she stand? What's her identity? Is she fighting or just going along with the old boy system?"

The same sort of feelings apply to Clarence Thomas. Unlike Thurgood Marshall, no one really knew where he stood. He is still one of the most invisible Supreme Court Justices on the bench. His decisions and opinions are often the shortest. He frequently asks the least questions during a trial or even comments.

Worse, he spoke out against affirmative action after he himself took advantage of it to get into Yale(!) and even working as an EEOC trial lawyer.

A Gullah who finally "gets there" and then speaks out against programs that would help level the the playing field a bit, was like watching a Cuban who escaped Castro turning around and setting up a pro-Communist office. Many people felt betrayed.
I expected more from you Heist but it's your opinion!

She owes you or the black community ZERO!

Those who give back, good on them but that doesn't mean that everyone has to be judged by that.

What part does the secretary of state have with voicing some political opinion. That job is to present facts. Period, the politicians with hatch out what they want to do with it based on political beliefs...

To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train

Quote:
Quote:
-Benjamin Franklin
Unread
  (#13)
Your Ad Here

February 4, 2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
I think Condolezza Rice found the opportunity to make sure the information she was giving was as accurate, honest and as detached as possible. I think you and many might be surprised at her own "personal" views but that isn't the job of that position.
No need.

It's well documented that Condi frequently clashed and was frustrated with Cheney (sometimes Bush), his views, opinions, directives, and the way he wanted things stated and run.

Her input was ignored or she was flat out steamrolled in a great number of instances.

By virtue of this, the information she was giving wasn't exactly honest or accurate - but I will give you detached.

I doubt she would have stayed on a second term as SS had it been available and would have resigned like Powell did.

Last edited by Heist; February 4, 2011 at 12:07 PM..
Unread
  (#14)
Your Ad Here

February 4, 2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
I expected more from you Heist but it's your opinion!

She owes you or the black community ZERO!

Those who give back, good on them but that doesn't mean that everyone has to be judged by that.

What part does the secretary of state have with voicing some political opinion. That job is to present facts. Period, the politicians with hatch out what they want to do with it based on political beliefs...
Don't put words in my mouth. I am not discussing her efficacy as SS, her personal stances, or what she should do in her personal life.

I am solely discussing the topic of her perception in the AA community at large. Unless you happen to live in this, I really don't believe you are in position to debate the topic with me.

I never said Condi had a voice a political opinion or take an activist role. Taking a stance on a topic, any topic - didn't have to be political, where it did not come across as being blessed by some superior. Condi showing her personality instead of some performed prefecture of airs all the time would have helped.

She came off like a stiff, robotic mouthpiece even during her "off time." No one knew the identity of Condi Rice. Always presenting this overly refined package of blue suit, straight bob, and a string of white pearls was great for America but it did not exactly make AA's say ok - where's the real Condi though?

It's the old, "Hey, I know where you're really from - and there's no need to show your "white face" all time. So what's up?"
(Black people will know what I mean by this comment)

Also, I never Condi (or any AA figure of prominence) owed me or anyone else anything. However, there are some unspoken/unwritten rules in the AA community w/respect to "making it", what you'll encounter, and what's going to be expected of you when you do.

If you grew up in the AA community or with AA parents, then you know them. They're taught to you. And if you don't know, if you had a black professor or teacher throughout your education and you seem to be one of the ones have potential to make it, they'll pull you aside and tell you.

It is your choice to decide what you want to do. Consciously ignore them - subconsciously pretend they don't exist, that is up to you. But they do exist, much like they do for any number of other ethnic communities.

Unread
  (#15)
GP Champ

February 4, 2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:

Also, I never Condi (or any AA figure of prominence) owed me or anyone else anything. However, there are some unspoken/unwritten rules in the AA community w/respect to "making it", what you'll encounter, and what's going to be expected of you when you do.

If you grew up in the AA community or with AA parents, then you know them. They're taught to you. And if you don't know, if you had a black professor or teacher throughout your education and you seem to be one of the ones have potential to make it, they'll pull you aside and tell you.

It is your choice to decide what you want to do. Consciously ignore them - subconsciously pretend they don't exist, that is up to you. But they do exist, much like they do for any number of other ethnic communities.
I did and do have AA parents. That still doesn't fly. No one made me learn in school. It was my choice. Many people had the same choices.
No one made me choose to live my life the way I did. Again, many had the choice but didn't.
Now those same people who chose not to uplift themselves and are struggling because of the "man" want me to give back? Yeah, I don't think so.

I worked, I earned, so I will enjoy the reward. If there is anybody I owe, its my mother. All the rest of the "help a brotha out's", do what I did and get up get out and get something.

Its easier to ask for a handout than to earn it yourself legitimately. That's a major attitude in the AA community. I speak from experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonstallin View Post
Stinky:
Im so excited im about to pre-blast in my pants.....then....it hits me...
I smell her arm pits and i damn near threw up!!!!

Last edited by hfam95; February 4, 2011 at 12:24 PM..
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to hfam95 Send a message via AIM to hfam95