DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 554
0 members and 554 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Boat trailer - Brake issues
Unread
  (#1)
Railing!

Boat trailer - Brake issues - February 18, 2015, 12:21 PM

So I have access to a friends boat, and I would like to use it as much as possible this summer, but first I would like to fix an issue with the trailer ( or possibly have it fixed) Any advice on how to fix it, or recommendations to good shops in the NOVA area are appreciated.

The trailer is made by Eagle. 2 axel with drum brakes (only on the front axel iirc).

The problem is the brakes will lock up while driving, and it's only getting worse with time. It's the worst when you brake/transfer weight to the trailer tongue quickly, the brakes will lock up and sometimes will stay locked until you come to a complete stop. If they lock up, you can usually let off the brakes and get the weight of the boat to transfer enough for the brakes to release. If you ease into the brakes, sometimes the trailer brakes will function properly, but it's no guarantee.

I believe the brake actuator has been adjusted as much as possible, without much improvement. The tongue/surge part of braking system has been greased in the past because we thought it was sticking for a second when the weight transferred.

I can get more details or pictures of the trailer if that helps, it's being stored in a nearby garage right now.

2013 Hypermotard
1998 Superhawk
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ

February 18, 2015, 12:41 PM

Both tires locking up? If so it's most likely the surge assembly at fault. Adjusting the surge assembly when it's working properly only changes the amount of brake pressure applied when braking. It should still release when you get off the brakes even when not adjusted properly.

There was a pretty decent trailer place just off Rt234 near I-66 a few years back for service or parts but I don't recall the name of the place.

Break
Out
Another
Thousand

There's bold riders and old riders, but damn few bold old riders.

Last edited by windblown; February 18, 2015 at 12:43 PM..
Unread
  (#3)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

February 18, 2015, 01:23 PM

This is why if i change the system on my dads boat my mom gave me...im going all electric like my trailer so you can use the inside brake adjuster...

But anyway,
do you think the drum shoe surface can be crystalized...maybe sticking when cold...or hot and ok other times? maybe they are adjusted too tight and the little bit of pressure send them on full braking mode? (did this with my trailer drums once)...

or tear it all out and start over wtih this lol
Tie Down 82101 Complete 10" Disc Brake Kit

The Nightmare of Summit Point
WERA Nov# 325 / CCS # 326
2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) | 2011 ZX10RR(Race)
2011 R6 (Street & Track) | 2009 WR250F
GunnRunnaz.com|GR on FaceBook | www.2666ad.com|
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

February 18, 2015, 01:35 PM

Tearing it all apart and replacing what's corroded up is probably the best course of action. Especially if it's been used in saltwater. Doesn't take many dunkings without a good wash down immediately afterwards to mess up anything not rubber or aluminum on a boat trailer. Even with religious wash downs, bearing buddies, etc depending on use a yearly tear down is not a bad idea.

There's bold riders and old riders, but damn few bold old riders.
Unread
  (#5)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

February 18, 2015, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windblown View Post
Tearing it all apart and replacing what's corroded up is probably the best course of action. Especially if it's been used in saltwater. Doesn't take many dunkings without a good wash down immediately afterwards to mess up anything not rubber or aluminum on a boat trailer. Even with religious wash downs, bearing buddies, etc depending on use a yearly tear down is not a bad idea.
Yeah, Im going to have to replace the whole brake lines on mines.
Not sure if ill just replace that or do an upgrade.
Lucky that I have a marina shop up the road from va house.

The Nightmare of Summit Point
WERA Nov# 325 / CCS # 326
2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) | 2011 ZX10RR(Race)
2011 R6 (Street & Track) | 2009 WR250F
GunnRunnaz.com|GR on FaceBook | www.2666ad.com|
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin