DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 704
3 members and 701 guests
nootherids, Scot, Slider
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Bob Lutz / Former GM VIce-Chairman Details GM's Internal Absurdity
Unread
  (#1)
Your Ad Here

Bob Lutz / Former GM VIce-Chairman Details GM's Internal Absurdity - June 23, 2011, 01:39 AM

It's truly ridiculous how deep the bureaucracy was in this company. Listen closely, he's basically taking about corporate American in general. Here are some quotes from the video

"All Chevrolet vehicles were required to have five-spoke aluminum wheels and a chrome band up front, as part of the Bowtie brand's overall image."

"Pontiac was required to utilize "see-through" headrests, despite the fact that they cost more to produce while offering no consumer value."

"All Buicks required a sweep spear in the exterior design language."

"Cadillac considered building a 550-horsepower supercharged Escalade."

"Saturn was working on a seven-passenger Vue."

"Many of the non-car person GM board members preferred to drive imports."

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Last edited by Heist; June 23, 2011 at 08:34 AM..
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Give me the Ban Button!

June 23, 2011, 08:25 AM

Non of this surprises me at all. We should have let them go under when we had the chance. than they could rebuild and come back as a worth while car manufacturer.

MY SPELLING SUCKS....DEAL WITH IT

MyCanikon.net A place to hang out if you are interested in talking photography.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Nubbs Send a message via AIM to Nubbs  
Unread
  (#3)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

June 23, 2011, 10:12 AM

WOW!
good video, soooo glad you posted this. Luvin the knowledge Bob Lutz is spilling.
colective insanity lol.

The Nightmare of Summit Point
WERA Nov# 325 / CCS # 326
2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) | 2011 ZX10RR(Race)
2011 R6 (Street & Track) | 2009 WR250F
GunnRunnaz.com|GR on FaceBook | www.2666ad.com|
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#4)
I'm a llama again!

June 23, 2011, 10:15 AM

Yeah I want to get this book.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
GP Racer

June 23, 2011, 10:51 AM

I like Bob Lutz a lot.

'02 SV-650S track bike (for sale, but in Shreveport, LA)
'05 Yamaha TTR-125L
'94 Dodge Viper RT/10
other boring stuff
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to mangle  
Unread
  (#6)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

June 23, 2011, 11:22 AM

Didnt know FIAT brought 52% of Chrysler.

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#7)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

June 23, 2011, 11:29 AM

So 3 American Mucel cars (Mustang, Camaro, Challenger) out sold All 30 Hybrids sold in America combined.

American muscle cars outselling fuel-thrifty hybrids despite $4 gas - Drive On: A conversation about the cars and trucks we drive - USATODAY.com
American muscle cars outselling fuel-thrifty hybrids despite $4 gas

Dodge Challenger, little changed from the 2009 version seen here, presents a menacing appearance.

CAPTION
By Dodge

At a time when gasoline topped $4 a gallon in many cities, it's hard to imagine that road-eating big American muscle cars would top hybrids when it comes to sales. But that was the case last month.

The combined sales of Ford Mustang, Dodge Challenger and Chevrolet Camaro -- all American-made, midsize, fun cars -- topped the total of environment-loving hybrids. Americans scarfed up 19,476 of the pony cars, Autodata figures show, compared with 17,852 hybrids, as totaled by Edmunds.com.

Toyota Prius is the most popular hybrid

CAPTION
By David Dewhurst/Toyota

Yes, gas prices remain sky high. But one reason for this perverse sales trend was loss of auto production due to the Japanese earthquake and tsunami that cut deeply into the availability of Japanese cars. And many of those cars are hybrids, especially the Toyotas and Hondas. Sales of Toyota's 50-miles-per-gallon Prius, the most popular hybrid, were down by 51.4% compared with the same month last year because not enough were imported. Ford makes popular hybrids, such as the Ford Fusion Hybrid sedan and Ford Escape hybrid small SUV, but never on the scale of Toyota or Honda. On Escape, for instance, Ford sold 1,118 in the hybrid version for the month, compared with 23,140 conventional and hybrid Escapes overall.

On the other hand, American sport cars have gotten more fuel efficient. Ford boasts that its Mustang is the first car to achieve more than 300 horsepower in a V-6 while topping 30 mpg on the highway. Never mind, however, that all three also have big V-8 versions that aren't exactly thrifty at the pump. Chevy's Camaro was the best seller of the three with 9,451 cars crossing sales lots for the month. That's a Challenger pictured at top.
So, for Detroit and its comeback, American muscle vs. hybrids is a good-news story.

Unread
  (#8)
poz top looking 4 neg bot

June 23, 2011, 11:29 AM

lol @ escalade taking sales from corvette

horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you
Unread
  (#9)
Being nice :)

June 23, 2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonstallin View Post
So 3 American Mucel cars (Mustang, Camaro, Challenger) out sold All 30 Hybrids sold in America combined.

American muscle cars outselling fuel-thrifty hybrids despite $4 gas - Drive On: A conversation about the cars and trucks we drive - USATODAY.com
American muscle cars outselling fuel-thrifty hybrids despite $4 gas

Dodge Challenger, little changed from the 2009 version seen here, presents a menacing appearance.

CAPTION
By Dodge

At a time when gasoline topped $4 a gallon in many cities, it's hard to imagine that road-eating big American muscle cars would top hybrids when it comes to sales. But that was the case last month.

The combined sales of Ford Mustang, Dodge Challenger and Chevrolet Camaro -- all American-made, midsize, fun cars -- topped the total of environment-loving hybrids. Americans scarfed up 19,476 of the pony cars, Autodata figures show, compared with 17,852 hybrids, as totaled by Edmunds.com.

Toyota Prius is the most popular hybrid

CAPTION
By David Dewhurst/Toyota

Yes, gas prices remain sky high. But one reason for this perverse sales trend was loss of auto production due to the Japanese earthquake and tsunami that cut deeply into the availability of Japanese cars. And many of those cars are hybrids, especially the Toyotas and Hondas. Sales of Toyota's 50-miles-per-gallon Prius, the most popular hybrid, were down by 51.4% compared with the same month last year because not enough were imported. Ford makes popular hybrids, such as the Ford Fusion Hybrid sedan and Ford Escape hybrid small SUV, but never on the scale of Toyota or Honda. On Escape, for instance, Ford sold 1,118 in the hybrid version for the month, compared with 23,140 conventional and hybrid Escapes overall.

On the other hand, American sport cars have gotten more fuel efficient. Ford boasts that its Mustang is the first car to achieve more than 300 horsepower in a V-6 while topping 30 mpg on the highway. Never mind, however, that all three also have big V-8 versions that aren't exactly thrifty at the pump. Chevy's Camaro was the best seller of the three with 9,451 cars crossing sales lots for the month. That's a Challenger pictured at top.
So, for Detroit and its comeback, American muscle vs. hybrids is a good-news story.

I'd take a Challenger over any fag hybrid tin can POS.
Sense? not really....Is one fuck given, not at all.

You're Welcome...
Unread
  (#10)
Derpetologist

June 23, 2011, 11:37 AM

I liked the previous gen Camaro a lot better. But I'd stil drive a hybrid

30 mpg highway ain't shabby at all though. Better than my Subaru, although I think the newer ones are up there.

Btw, OP's stuff doesn't sound too crazy. Brand identity can be a powerful thing. After all isn't a single pin crank vtwin part of the Harley brand?

*Not intended to be a factual statement.

Last edited by Rail; June 23, 2011 at 11:52 AM..
Unread
  (#11)
Your Ad Here

June 23, 2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow View Post
lol @ escalade taking sales from corvette
I guess they thought they needed a new Syclone / Typhoon.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#12)
opossum puncher

June 23, 2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubbs View Post
Non of this surprises me at all. We should have let them go under when we had the chance. than they could rebuild and come back as a worth while car manufacturer.
Agreed, that would have allowed GM to shake off the labor unions.

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#13)
TPG og

June 23, 2011, 12:24 PM

Ford. No bailouts required and still using Unions
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to b00st  
Unread
  (#14)
GP Racer

June 23, 2011, 12:42 PM

I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me how it makes sense to pay auto plant workers what the big 3 do. I really don't think there's any possible way to justify it.

'02 SV-650S track bike (for sale, but in Shreveport, LA)
'05 Yamaha TTR-125L
'94 Dodge Viper RT/10
other boring stuff
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to mangle  
Unread
  (#15)
Give me the Ban Button!

June 23, 2011, 12:53 PM

Running the rick of getting completly flamed for the comment to follow.

The dont deserve the pay and benefits that the get. I have spoken to and hung out with many UAW workers. They are nice people but do not deserve what they are getting in most cases. You can thank the unions for all of that. The more money the unions get for the employee the more money they get in return. How is it that the UAW had enough money laying round to buy 55% of Chrysler. Unions at a time were around to protect the working class from the power and money hungry business owners. Now they are in the business of protecting and encouraging lazy people with no marketable skill set. That is a generalization and by no means do i think that every Union worker is lazy. however you can not dispute that if a person feels they are protected by a set of rules that is in their favor they are not going to work as hard as somebody that is not protected. As a result they have run up the price of cars and almost every other American made product and put a lot of people out of work.

MY SPELLING SUCKS....DEAL WITH IT

MyCanikon.net A place to hang out if you are interested in talking photography.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Nubbs Send a message via AIM to Nubbs