DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 530
0 members and 530 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Bodyshop Experts, How Much Is This Scratch & Dent Worth?
Unread
  (#1)
Your Ad Here

Bodyshop Experts, How Much Is This Scratch & Dent Worth? - November 4, 2016, 10:48 AM

Car is a 2015 Nissan Sentra. Metallic Grey. Scratch is approximately 1.5" long and cut through the clear coat and base. Maybe 3 oz of Bond-o, a tube of factory touch up paint, clear, wet sand, and seal.

I created the damage. Wind gust pushed my door out of my hand and smacked the Sentra's door parked in the adjacent spot.

Could have drove off, but I left a note with my information in the windshield. Told the owner to get a quote and contact me. As the damage is superficial; we'll keep it out of insurance and I'll wire her the money.
No good deed goes unpunished right?

Owner reports her bodyshop's estimate is ~$600(!) and wants $800 in total compensation. $600 for a repair + $150 for 3 days car rental and taxes.

$800? I told her to go shit in her hat (*in my mind) and that I would get back to her. Either she's getting robbed or folding in costs from other nicks and damages she wants repaired.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Last edited by Heist; November 4, 2016 at 10:51 AM..
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
i suck at the introweb

November 4, 2016, 02:19 PM

ya, unfortunately too many in this country have grown a litigious mentality. Not that many people in our world today that have a code of honor. I have been in your situation before, and got burned. Guy went and supposedly had all the work done and then tried to bill me for it later (same situation an outlandish amount for a small dent including rental) prior to me even agreeing to the damage costs. Ended up having to go to court over it later as it turned out to be a mess.

I would just tell the person that you didn't think the costs were going to be that much and that you need to go through the insurance company instead. Her figures may change real fast, as she knows the insurance will only cover what the real damage is.

ya, I would want to avoid insurance too, but there are times that they are on your side.

Also being silver it is a hard color to blend, and usually has to blend with the other body panels with a large over spray radius do such. That's of course for the whole kitten kaboodle to squeeze as much money out as possible.

Never be afraid that your life will end, only be afraid that it will never begin!

You Learn when your young, and understand when your older!

Last edited by short_mike; November 4, 2016 at 02:26 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
All weather rider

November 4, 2016, 02:34 PM

Body shops charge quite a bit for stuff like that. $400 is about right. The owner is entitled to compensation for damages but is under no obligation to have the car repaired. I agree with Mike that you should call your insurance company and have them handle the claim. They are not likely to accept her shop's estimate or the rental car claims, and she will have to take it to a damage appraiser that works with the insurance company. It's a bummer when you try to make good and it bites you in the ass. You're a standup guy for not driving off; I guess leaving an anonymous envelope with $200 in it under the windshield would have been a grey area of taking responsibility.

Last edited by phogroian; November 4, 2016 at 02:51 PM..
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

November 4, 2016, 03:01 PM

Metallic paint? Almost brand new car? Yep, make ready and doing the job is almost as much work as if the damage was 10 times that much. 3 days of car rental sounds about right. Most body shops won't get you in and out faster. Sucks, but it is what it is. Good on you for being stand up about it and leaving a note. Now you just have to decide whether you want to take it on the chin or let your insurance company deal with it.

There's bold riders and old riders, but damn few bold old riders.
Unread
  (#5)
Your Ad Here

November 5, 2016, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phogroian View Post
I guess leaving an anonymous envelope with $200 in it under the windshield would have been a grey area of taking responsibility.
Funny you mention this.
The ATM was on the other side of the parking lot and I was considering doing just that.

I mean for god's sakes I had my entire motorcycle custom painted for $650, how much could a scratch cost?

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

Unread
  (#6)
Real Men Pedal

November 5, 2016, 07:05 AM

Make her take it to another shop and get another quote.
Unread
  (#7)
Meh

November 5, 2016, 07:54 AM

Not going to get to fix any of that from the back side as the skin is reinforced at that location.

They can probably pull it a bit and reshape it.

The question becomes where is the demising line where spending time trying to fix the panel if overbalanced by just popping the welds and putting a new skin on it.
Unread
  (#8)
Fast Lane Racing

November 5, 2016, 10:49 AM

you should have left a fake name and a drop phone #

still could do right thing and protect yo self from her being a cunt.

the bitch about calling insurance is it going on your file.

I had a small claim like this last year, combined with a speeding ticket 3 years ago. Now USAA won't give me an umbrella policy. Gotta go with one of their side brands...

fucking annoying!!
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#9)
Stop light racer...

November 5, 2016, 08:54 PM

Give $200 and tell her sorry.

If she tries to take you to small claims court make sure to get up early everyday and let the air out of her tires. Maybe put some grease on her door handle. Just small little annoyances that will make her crazy and put a smile on your face.

- Norway Daily, 90' VFR750, V4 Touring Beast
- USA Daily, 08' Versys - Urban Assault vehicle
- Toy, 02' Ducati 900ss - Loud and angry noises
- Toy, 89' FZR600 - Raw Inline Deathbox
- Project, 91' CB250 - Goal: lightweight city bike
- Project, 79' CB350 - Finally runs, now to finish

- Sold, Red 94' VS800 - Loud as F@*$
* R.I.P. Blue 06' SV650, murdered by DC!
* R.I.P. Black 98' FZR600, murdered by DC!
- Sold, Red 81' GS650
- Sold, Black 81' CM400T
Unread
  (#10)
Your Ad Here

November 6, 2016, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS762ZX6 View Post
you should have left a fake name and a drop phone #

still could do right thing and protect yo self from her being a cunt.

the bitch about calling insurance is it going on your file. I had a small claim like this last year, combined with a speeding ticket 3 years ago. Now USAA won't give me an umbrella policy. Gotta go with one of their side brands...

fucking annoying!!
Did the drop number (only give out my GV no. to people I don't know), but I gave her my real first name.

Yes, and that's what I don't want to happen. I haven't always been a law good driver. I enjoy a nice umbrella policy at the moment for all my insurance needs which nets me substantial discounts.

Unread
  (#11)
Fast Lane Racing

November 7, 2016, 10:37 AM

wait wait....

you just left a phone number and first name? nothing else?

Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#12)
Your Ad Here

November 7, 2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS762ZX6 View Post
wait wait....

you just left a phone number and first name? nothing else?

Unread
  (#13)
Yo quiero Trackday!

November 8, 2016, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windblown View Post
Metallic paint? Almost brand new car? Yep, make ready and doing the job is almost as much work as if the damage was 10 times that much. 3 days of car rental sounds about right. Most body shops won't get you in and out faster. Sucks, but it is what it is. Good on you for being stand up about it and leaving a note. Now you just have to decide whether you want to take it on the chin or let your insurance company deal with it.
This!

I accidentally bumped a 2 year old vehicle. I told the owner the same thing, I would pay cash, thinking that the repair (buff and polish) would be less than $250; otherwise we would have to go through insurance.

A couple of weeks go by, and I am told that $80 for a buff and polish should do it. I said go ahead and do it, and I will pay for the service. Couple of weeks pass by, and I am told that the buff and polish didn't work, and that the bumper would need a respray, all for over $750 (don't remember the exact amount). Told them to go through the insurance, and call it a day.

In my case, going through the insurance was the (less) painless way to go.