DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 576
3 members and 573 guests
Nobrains, nootherids, Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Borat - Piqued my interest
Unread
  (#1)
B
It goes to 11.

Borat - Piqued my interest - November 3, 2006, 01:24 PM

This is the third time I have heard that this movie is better made than some might think.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Movi...rat/index.html

Review: 'Borat' is most excellent comedy

POSTED: 1:42 p.m. EST, November 3, 2006

(CNN) -- "Borat" is so gut-bustingly funny it should carry a health warning.
If you don't get HBO and remain oblivious to the YouTube viral marketing campaign, you need to know that Borat Sagdiyev is a roving reporter, the sixth most famous personality in his native Kazakhstan.

Tall and skinny with a moustache as thick as his accent, Borat (Sacha Baron Cohen) appears polite, candid and eager to please, even as he utters rabidly sexist, anti-Semitic and homophobic sentiments. (Watch why they're not laughing in Kazakhstan -- 2:34)
Baron Cohen is a British comedian (and Cambridge graduate) best known for his alter ego Ali G, a mentally challenged rapper who duped a succession of rich and powerful Brits into making fools of themselves on prime time, then switched his operations Stateside when he became too famous back home. (He once coaxed Pat Buchanan to agree Saddam used BLTs on the Kurds.)

If Ali G suckers the egos and condescension of the elite, Borat is a more insidious satirist, playing on the courtesy of ordinary folk to expose their latent prejudice. In his most notorious stunt, he led a barroom crowd in a singalong of that traditional Kazakh ditty, "Throw the Jew Down the Well."

Like Baron Cohen's TV show, "Borat" the movie has a mockumentary format, with Borat gleaning insights into Western culture for the edification of his compatriots, often with the aid of interviewees who are definitely not in on the joke.
The belly laughs begin with the prologue, a rampantly politically incorrect introduction to the peasant village Borat calls home. There, inbreeding is rife, women are chattel and entertainment comes in the form of poking fun at the disabled or celebrating the ritual "running of the Jews." (The government of Kazakhstan has already expressed its displeasure at these outrageous slurs.)

Soon Borat is setting off for what he persists in calling "the U.S. and A.," with producer Azamat Bagatov (Ken Davitian) in tow.

Appropriately enough, his first subject is a New York humor consultant, who patiently explains that retardation and race are not considered appropriate subjects for comedy. (Too late!) Instead, he coaches him in the art of "not" jokes. It's some mark of Baron Cohen's delicious improvisational skills that he makes even this most irritating of comedy tropes funny, though -- typically -- it sails over the head of the exasperated expert.
But what Borat really wants is to hook up with Pamela Anderson, and it's when he leaves the East Coast on a transcontinental road trip that the trip really gets interesting. American movies have been testing taboos around bad taste with some vigor over the last decade, but "Borat" takes bad manners to the level of an art form.
Social discomfort

It's amazing what this humble Kazakh can get people to do -- or not do.
At a dinner with a party of hospitable Mississippi Christians (who live on Secession Drive), the disarming outsider "innocently" makes ever-greater demands on their forbearance. The scene is a tour-de-force of social discomfort, and it's only when Borat invites a black hooker into the house that his hosts finally draw the line and throw both of them out.
A later scene with a group of frat boys ends with them lamenting the demise of slavery.
But it's at the Imperial Rodeo in Virginia that Baron Cohen enjoys his finest hour. First he elicits anti-Islamic and homophobic comments from the rodeo manager, one Bobby Rowe. Then he stands up in front of the entire crowd and delivers a rousing speech pledging support for "Premier" Bush's "the war of terror."

The crowd keeps right on whooping as Borat describes the righteous slaughter that will descend on Arab women and children in increasingly bloodthirsty detail. Their cheers only die out when he massacres "The Star-Spangled Banner" by substituting the lyrics of (allegedly) the Kazakh national anthem. It's an extraordinarily brave performance -- so startling that one of the attendant flag-bearers is nearly thrown from his horse.
Taken at face value, this is certainly the most anti-Semitic American movie ever made -- all the more shocking because Baron Cohen is a devout Jew. But this is a film about racism, not a racist film. By saying the unsayable, Borat encourages others to do the same, with depressing -- but very funny -- results.

If there is any justice Sacha Baron Cohen will walk away with this year's Academy Award for best actor, Pamela Anderson on his arm. Maybe someone should throw in a Pulitzer for undercover reporting, too.

But for all its hilarity, "Borat" cuts deep. Satire, as everyone from Jonathan Swift to the Onion could note, is not a business for the faint of heart. How will this "cultural learning" play with mainstream American movie audiences when they realize the joke is predominantly on them?

"Borat" runs 82 minutes and is rated R. For Entertainment Weekly's take

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#2)
Ling Long

November 3, 2006, 01:34 PM

I definately want to see this...

U
C
Lots of
Asians
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to YaoMatt Send a message via AIM to YaoMatt Send a message via MSN to YaoMatt  
Unread
  (#3)
i like to make toilet

November 3, 2006, 04:05 PM

gonna try and see it next week sometime, i cannnnnnnnt wait
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
back.

November 3, 2006, 04:09 PM

i'm definitely gonna go see this.. maybe 2moro night..

may the force be with you

Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
Railing!

November 3, 2006, 04:33 PM

That guy is amazing how he can keep a straight face when he pulls off some of those stunts.

Forceofnature

Which is worse: ignorance or apathy? Who knows? Who cares?
It's easy to identify people who can't count to ten. They're in front of you in the supermarket express lane.
Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is.
Unread
  (#6)
singin sweet home alabama

November 3, 2006, 04:53 PM

Ha! I didn't want to see it before reading that, but now I do.

"No race has ever been won in the first corner, but plenty have been lost there."
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to DvlsAdvc8  
Unread
  (#7)
God of the Gaps

November 4, 2006, 12:37 AM

Wow we wow wow woo! Very nice, yes?
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#8)
Stercus accidit

November 4, 2006, 01:40 AM

Jagshamesh!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Harvey_TT600  
Unread
  (#9)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

November 4, 2006, 06:56 AM

OMAGAD! i laughed my ass off during this movie......i will warn, there is naked man time in the middle of it but past that it is a hilarious movie
Unread
  (#10)
Squid Rider 4 Life!!

November 4, 2006, 08:31 AM

I gotta see this movie or "I will crush you".
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ArRrR6  
Unread
  (#11)
whoa preppy......

November 4, 2006, 08:56 AM

I am seeing it tonight. Jekooey.

2018 XSR700
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2019 Honda Monkey
2019 Z900 ABS
2019 Janus Halcyon
Unread
  (#12)
DAS BOOT

November 4, 2006, 03:10 PM

Holy ish, I didn't know he was Ali G... maaan I am not connected!!

Wow. Just..................wow.
Unread
  (#13)
whoa preppy......

November 4, 2006, 07:51 PM

saw it. RIOT. I've never felt so uncomfortable in a movie before. Hilarious though.

2018 XSR700
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2019 Honda Monkey
2019 Z900 ABS
2019 Janus Halcyon
Unread
  (#14)
What's today? aah fuck it

November 4, 2006, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyK
Holy ish, I didn't know he was Ali G... maaan I am not connected!!
O

M

G!!!!

are you serious?

ahahahhahahahahahaa

you are ...

Unread
  (#15)
rdg
best avatar in the biz

November 4, 2006, 08:45 PM