DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 583
5 members and 578 guests
BigDaddyShoo, BlackHatch, CrazyMotorcycleGuy, davidcycle, Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Bought a beast..
Unread
  (#1)
GP Champ

Bought a beast.. - February 20, 2010, 01:14 PM

..of a truck. Got tired of my F150 screaming down the highway pulling our race trailer at 9mpg. So I bought an Excursion with a 7.3L PowerStroke to haul it.

Picked it up yesterday and then headed up to Philly for a celebratory cheesesteak sub. I was impressed with the highway manners. Set the cruise at 65 or 70 on Rt15 and it handled the hills through MD and PA without even downshifting and got 17+mpg (no trailer).

So now we can go to my son's races in comfort and if we have to, put a full size air mattress in the back and sleep in it.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Your Ad Here

February 20, 2010, 01:19 PM

Nice. I remember when these thing first came out - I thought it was an Expedition, but then it just kept going past like forever. I said, "Damn, never thought anyone would make something bigger than a Suburban"

If you're doing a lot of hauling (which it seems like you do during the race season) why not go the Diesel engine route?

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
The last urrbendah

February 20, 2010, 01:46 PM

Powerstroke is the name of Ford's family of diesel engines.

Nice ride Todd. Y'all doing any ESMRA rounds? Between you guys and Barry, I might not need to drive all year.

13 KTM 200 XC-W
15 KTM 350 XC-F

I might have a dirt bike problem.
Unread
  (#4)
Your Ad Here

February 20, 2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
Powerstroke is the name of Ford's family of diesel engines.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
Meh

February 20, 2010, 02:44 PM

Better to get the 7.3 than the 6.0.

Nice hauler.
Unread
  (#6)
GP Champ

February 20, 2010, 05:43 PM

Yeah, I like the interior of an '04 I looked at better, but it had the 6.0 and I did not trust it. Now I have to free my trailer from the smegma left by the snowpocalypse and see if I can tow it down my snow covered road. Gonna be interesting. The Excursion has Yokohama Geolander tires. Looks like they will be great for the highway, but the Goodyear Wranglers I had on the F150 handled the snow much better. I am beginning to understand how all the 4x4 SUV's are crashing in the snow I have never had problems in. Besides common sense, it appears the tires are really important.
Unread
  (#7)
Silence... I keeeel you

February 20, 2010, 05:57 PM

7.3 powerstroke for the win. I love mine. The engine is a beast. It responds very well to mods. You can increase HP and mileage. Also there is a kit to run waste veggie oil in it. I'm testing it now on my VW TDI. My mechanic had the same truck as you and runs the kit.

Then again... That's just me.

On the internet... Everyone is an expert.

And now...The dancing Banana:
Unread
  (#8)
Get Tarded!

February 20, 2010, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHatch View Post
Better to get the 7.3 than the 6.0.

Nice hauler.
The 6.0 started getting their crap straight when its future started looking bleak
The FICM was the worst culprit. The motor was high strung out of the box and a lot of its mechanical failures I dealt with in a shop was from improper tuning and hot rodding it is a work motor is easy to kill its service life, you can kill/ detonate a 6L in about 5k if the timing is off your your towing with a chip.

Oh and a air filter was $100 from ford for the original 6L $200 oil change and filter = fail we had a hard time explaining that to customers

the 01-02 7.3L is good and the

last generation 7.3L run in late 02- through 03 was frigging fantastic 525lbs of torque out of the box and as long as you don't chip it or tow with the tune on your drive-line and trans will go as long as the motor.

My father has one and pulls off 23mpg on the highway with a load between 62-67 mph its a last gen 03 F350 7.3

The only issues they had were with commercial use and higher mileage trucks melting/ burning the wiring harness in the valve cover gasket also in some trucks running with high EGT's from a bad tune.

Great truck you should be happy and not worry about getting stuck for a while. You scored a good year it looks like and a intake bumps the mileage up on those suckers noticeably. Shameless Colorado plug http://atsdiesel.com

Keep a eye on the brake pads in the back if you deal with a lot of grades when hauling it will eat pads like a mofo.

08 Dizzzer SM
08 Z1000
98 KLR 650

Last edited by Tarded Jake; February 20, 2010 at 06:25 PM..
Unread
  (#9)
Its me bytches..

February 20, 2010, 07:11 PM

Nice truck Gadget!

I've always loved the Excursions.. love the diesel engine even more!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Daekwan Send a message via AIM to Daekwan  
Unread
  (#10)
Meh

February 20, 2010, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drnknmnky13 View Post
7.3 powerstroke for the win. I love mine. The engine is a beast. It responds very well to mods. You can increase HP and mileage. Also there is a kit to run waste veggie oil in it. I'm testing it now on my VW TDI. My mechanic had the same truck as you and runs the kit.
Running straight WVO will leave deposits on the upper ringlands. If you are looking to tear the engine down, run it. If not, stay away from it.
Unread
  (#11)
Silence... I keeeel you

February 20, 2010, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Running straight WVO will leave deposits on the upper ringlands. If you are looking to tear the engine down, run it. If not, stay away from it.
I have seen the internals of an engine running WVO. No problems with ones who filter and check the FFA of the oil. Now just running straight grease with no filtering or keeping tabs on the FFA can cause major issues. To that I agree. But to blanket statement that all WVO will kill your engine is false.

Unread
  (#12)
Meh

February 21, 2010, 08:34 AM

Its your motor champ.
Unread
  (#13)
GP Champ

February 21, 2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarded Jake View Post
The 6.0 started getting their crap straight when its future started looking bleak
The FICM was the worst culprit. The motor was high strung out of the box and a lot of its mechanical failures I dealt with in a shop was from improper tuning and hot rodding it is a work motor is easy to kill its service life, you can kill/ detonate a 6L in about 5k if the timing is off your your towing with a chip.

Oh and a air filter was $100 from ford for the original 6L $200 oil change and filter = fail we had a hard time explaining that to customers

the 01-02 7.3L is good and the

last generation 7.3L run in late 02- through 03 was frigging fantastic 525lbs of torque out of the box and as long as you don't chip it or tow with the tune on your drive-line and trans will go as long as the motor.

My father has one and pulls off 23mpg on the highway with a load between 62-67 mph its a last gen 03 F350 7.3

The only issues they had were with commercial use and higher mileage trucks melting/ burning the wiring harness in the valve cover gasket also in some trucks running with high EGT's from a bad tune.

Great truck you should be happy and not worry about getting stuck for a while. You scored a good year it looks like and a intake bumps the mileage up on those suckers noticeably. Shameless Colorado plug http://atsdiesel.com

Keep a eye on the brake pads in the back if you deal with a lot of grades when hauling it will eat pads like a mofo.

I have to research and make up a preventative maintenance schedule to be sure I stay on top of all the PM stuff. I am researching various performance chips, looking at a Gryphon controller from these guys,
http://gopowerhungry.com/_Ford_73L_P...e_Diesels.html
It is a performance chip with an electronic gauge to monitor the engine also.

I am not planning any major mods as I want the engine to last forever. I just want to be able to adjust the engine tunes for better MPG and better power for towing. Although I doubt this engine will really notice my trailer. We'll see next week when we go to Florida for round 1 of the season.
Unread
  (#14)
Silence... I keeeel you

February 21, 2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Its your motor champ.
47k miles running WVO. No deposits. I'll take the 2 Ford diesel mechanics of 20+ years opinions over yours scooter. I know you have heard horror stories over the interwebs. Lots of them are true. But it's almost always owner induced. Like the owners who fill their diesel trucks with gas. Or who think higher octane gas gets them more power. Or that Cetane and octane are the same thing.

Unread
  (#15)
Meh

February 21, 2010, 05:57 PM

I would like to see your setup sometime then. I would love to skip the whole methyl-hydroxide reaction necessity.