DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 542
0 members and 542 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Bowling Green, KY or Chattannooga, TN
Unread
  (#1)
Riz
Hallmark card?!?

Bowling Green, KY or Chattannooga, TN - April 21, 2010, 06:19 PM

I need to decide where to goto grad school as its getting close to deadline for a response so i can start in the fall. I have narrowed down two schools, western kentucky and u. of ten, chattannooga. But i cant decide between the schools, so which area would be better for riding? any ideas. And yes this is exactly what it seems like, i am basing my future education on which school has better roads. Both schools are ranked similarly in my program (UT is #11, WKU is #20), have similar assistantships etc. so i guess my deciding factor will have to be where i can have the most fun on my bike.

On a side note, has anyone visited these areas, what are they like?

I still havnt heard back from GMU, but if i get in, ill end up going there, having to live in VA ...
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Open your mind

April 21, 2010, 08:14 PM

Chattanooga is only a couple hours ride to the dragon
Unread
  (#3)
Your Ad Here

April 21, 2010, 10:40 PM

Bowling Green is where they make Corvettes, so you'll probably have to always keep your head on a swivel for wanna-be Mario Andrettis.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
GP Racer

April 22, 2010, 05:09 AM

I've been to both places, and I liked Bowling Green better personally. Chattanooga was cool and there is a lot of history there but it was a nice place to visit to me not to live. Touring the plant where Vettes are made is cool as well as going to the museum.

Other than that I've not nothing to offer.There are some great twisties in both places (mind you I was in a motorhome in Chattanooga so.....) but I had my old Trans Am down in BG and there are some nice two lane roads around there. BG has a lot of car events if you're into that kind of thing as well.

Tommy

MSF Graduate 9-25-05
13 DRZ400SM Sold 6-21-16
06 R6 Raven Sold 4-23-15
Unread
  (#5)
Derpentine Dealer

April 22, 2010, 06:19 AM

Usually if you haven't heard from a grad program by now, it's not encouraging. It typically means you're a contingent in case a bunch of accepted students turn down their offers. I'd start to make plans to get as close to Deal's Gap as possible. Once you start hitting those roads up on a regular basis, you're gonna come back up here and school this area's riders.

That's motorcycle advice. If you want academic advice on which school to choose, shoot me a pm. There are several factors to consider, but usually it comes down to which program or department has more money since a lot of performance measures correlate well with money.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#6)
Riz
Hallmark card?!?

April 22, 2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeShirtDude View Post
Usually if you haven't heard from a grad program by now, it's not encouraging. It typically means you're a contingent in case a bunch of accepted students turn down their offers. I'd start to make plans to get as close to Deal's Gap as possible. Once you start hitting those roads up on a regular basis, you're gonna come back up here and school this area's riders.

That's motorcycle advice. If you want academic advice on which school to choose, shoot me a pm. There are several factors to consider, but usually it comes down to which program or department has more money since a lot of performance measures correlate well with money.
for GMU i called them and they said they started their decision making late, close to april 1st. But i agree, i am most likely waitlisted.

Its funny bc although UTEN is ranked higher, WKU is looking like the better choice for me, bc as you said they haave higher program resources + lower program costs, couple that with an assistantship, id basically be getting a free ride there.

As far as deals gap goes, i looked into that before. the only prob is its sitll 2 hours away from campus, and im guessing i wont have that much time to make it out there every weekend. Not to say i wouldnt ride it, but i doubt id be able to ride it enough to know it extremely well since my primary focus would be school. I was speaking in terms of more like twisties around each city so if i have a 1-2 hour break i can have a lil fun close by. But how cool would it be to be able to hit up deals gap even if it was like twice a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRN96WS6 View Post
I've been to both places, and I liked Bowling Green better personally. Chattanooga was cool and there is a lot of history there but it was a nice place to visit to me not to live. Touring the plant where Vettes are made is cool as well as going to the museum.
Which was more country? I saw pics of both, and chattanooga looked really nice, had buildings and was nxt to like a mountain lol. my friend lived in BG and he said it wasnt bad at all, considering he moved there from the bronx...

Last edited by Riz; April 22, 2010 at 02:11 PM..
Unread
  (#7)
GP Racer

April 22, 2010, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riz View Post

Which was more country? I saw pics of both, and chattanooga looked really nice, had buildings and was nxt to like a mountain lol. my friend lived in BG and he said it wasnt bad at all, considering he moved there from the bronx...
I didn't do a whole lot of exploring in TN (I was on a road trip with my grandfather in his motorhome not really friendly for small roads haha) but I've been to BG more than a few times and there is a lot of country there that's for sure. I'm sure TN has the same I just really didn't tour around much. The few places I did go there were some nice curvy roads but they were on the way to major attractions so not sure if you could get a good run on them.

Do you have time to visit both and see which you may like better? That might be your best bet! I don't think you will be unhappy with either though.

Tommy

MSF Graduate 9-25-05
13 DRZ400SM Sold 6-21-16
06 R6 Raven Sold 4-23-15
Unread
  (#8)
Riz
Hallmark card?!?

April 23, 2010, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRN96WS6 View Post

Do you have time to visit both and see which you may like better? That might be your best bet! I don't think you will be unhappy with either though.

unfortunately not, but i figure there both similar as you said. thanks for all the info!
Unread
  (#9)
Riz
Hallmark card?!?

May 21, 2010, 12:54 AM

So here is the response i got from my advisor at University of tennessee when i asked about motorcycle theft in the area.

Quote:
I'm sorry, but I don't know anyone who drives a motorcycle, so I have no advice concerning what to do about it. I can tell you that Chattanooga has a very high insurance rate - the city has lots of hills, twisty roads, and stupid drivers - all of which contribute to a high accident rate. I'd feel a lot better about your safety if you left your bike at home and brought a car to Chattanooga.
Im confused, is he trying to convince me or dissuade me from bringing my bike?? As far as stupid drivers goes, apparently hes never been to the DMV. i cant wait to move out there
Unread
  (#10)
GP Racer

May 21, 2010, 06:46 AM

LOL that is the best reply ever I think! haha wow

I'd still take it and just keep my head on a swivel (which you need to do on a bike anyhow)

Tommy

MSF Graduate 9-25-05
13 DRZ400SM Sold 6-21-16
06 R6 Raven Sold 4-23-15
Unread
  (#11)
Riz
Hallmark card?!?

July 7, 2010, 09:15 PM

Ehhh so i just visited Chattanooga, TN as this is where ill be living for the next two years starting in august. All i can say its different, which i was expecting, but not to this degree. The city seemed dead considering i was visiting on july 4th weekend. Which could be sort of a good thing since i never ran into any traffic.

Downtown looks really nice and is considered to be the "cultural center" of chattanooga , but we witnessed our first instance of blatant racism (not towards me, i dont think ). Now im sure i have witnessed racism during my 22 years of life, BUT the fact that we witnessed it in the first 2 days of visiting chattanooga, is a little unsettling to say the least. Maybe this will be good in taht ill prolly just focus on my studies now...

Now to the main reason why i chose chattanooga, the riding. The roads are really really nice, but there about 45 minutes away from the city. Im sure there are roads closer, i just didnt have time to check em out. There are also alot of bikes here, but there all HD riders. The few sportbikes i did see were squiding it to the max. Theres also a lot of other outdoorsy stuff to do here, like white water rafting which we tried. It was really fun, and i think i may have found a new sport to help time go by. Ill prolly end up getting a personal kayak or something. I also feel like ill be getting a motard, finances permitting as there are so many trails here. Not only are the roads really nice, there are 3 tracks that are all about 2 hours away. Also, the cagers seem to be much better drivers over there, from what i could tell...Its gunna be different, thats for sure....

Last edited by Riz; July 7, 2010 at 09:20 PM..