DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 503
2 members and 501 guests
2blueyam, Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Bows/Crossbows: Educate a Newb
Unread
  (#1)
Slowest Going Straight

Bows/Crossbows: Educate a Newb - March 14, 2015, 11:57 PM

So, my 13 year old daughter wants a bow and I've always thought a crossbow would be cool. No hunting, just target shooting and stuff. I have 3.5 acres of woods so what better to do with it than to fire arrows at nature.

So, what should I look for in a bow for my daughter? Crossbow for myself?

I'm not looking at high end stuff but something that won't break the first day either.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ

March 15, 2015, 12:26 AM

For the kid - check craigslist for a kids bow. If she wants a compound bow go with Hoyt, PSE, Mathews. If she wants a trad bow I think Bear makes a good trd youth bow. Get arrows, a hip quiver and a tab or shooting glove to protect young fingers. (AND an armguard). I wouldn't start her with a mechanical release. The cheap ones are mostly junk and promote punching the trigger.

For Dad: If you really want a crossbow there are many decent ones available. Though IMHO, crossbows suck for a day of target shooting. They very heavy and cumbersome compared to a compound or trad bow and slow to reload. Just my Not so humble opinion having shot them all.

I used to compete at state and national level with a compound bow and owned and operated an archery store in a past life. My suggestion for a great father daughter time spent flinging arrows is to pick up a trad bow for you and her. Their lower speed and simple operation make for lot of fun. You can even shoot tufts of grass and stuff rather than be stuck just shooting a paper target without ruining arrows. Simple is good. Like most sports you can sink a LOT of money into equipment and not have as good of a time. If the primary purpose was to hunt or have the most accurate rig possible with the least amount of work I'd make other recommendations but it will cost more, you'll eat through targets quickly, and spend more money on replacing arrows lost or damaged.

If you are brand new to the sport I recommend a little reading up on the subject about draw weights, draw lengths, arrow spine, bow types, etc before shelling out money. The wonderful thing about the internet is there is a ton of info out there on the subject.

If you have a specific question I'l be happy to try to answer it. Good on ya for getting her into the great outdoors!

There's bold riders and old riders, but damn few bold old riders.
Unread
  (#3)
Slowest Going Straight

March 15, 2015, 04:32 AM

Thanks windblown. Good info. I've spent the last few hours of work educating myself on the strings. Looks like some good fun. I definetly will be keeping it simple.

When I saw prices close to how much I paid for my Aprilia I damn near $h*( myself!
Unread
  (#4)
All weather rider

March 15, 2015, 09:18 AM

There's something about a longbow for target practice... There are tons of old Ben Pearson fiberglass recurve bows out there in different draw weights... They last forever. Also highly recommended is the Primitive Technology workshop at the Oregon Ridge Nature Center (NW of Baltimore) in early May. Camping is an outrageous $2, and it is a kicked-back weekend full of bowmaking and flintknapping. Respected naturalist/ranger Kirk Dreier hosts this event. Great Stuff.
Unread
  (#5)
Slowest Going Straight

March 15, 2015, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phogroian View Post
There's something about a longbow for target practice... There are tons of old Ben Pearson fiberglass recurve bows out there in different draw weights... They last forever. Also highly recommended is the Primitive Technology workshop at the Oregon Ridge Nature Center (NW of Baltimore) in early May. Camping is an outrageous $2, and it is a kicked-back weekend full of bowmaking and flintknapping. Respected naturalist/ranger Kirk Dreier hosts this event. Great Stuff.
That sounds like a good time! I might have to check it out if my schedule allows.
Unread
  (#6)
Have Bikes - Will Travel

March 18, 2015, 12:38 PM

I have a PSE Coyote recurve bow I would like to get rid of. It has two sets of limbs, I believe they are 35# and 50#. I haven't looked at it in years so I don't remember. If you're interested PM me and I'll get you the details and a price.

-Hugh

Ill believe corporations are people when Texas executes one.
http://www.twowheelsgood.net

Last edited by Rafale; March 18, 2015 at 12:57 PM..
Unread
  (#7)
MSF Student

March 18, 2015, 01:45 PM

My ex brother in law used to make his own out of PVC pipes. It was pretty cool. No fancy tech aids. Plenty strong enough. He used to fish with it. It might be a fun activity for you to do with the children.
Unread
  (#8)
Slowest Going Straight

March 18, 2015, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwkfym View Post
My ex brother in law used to make his own out of PVC pipes. It was pretty cool. No fancy tech aids. Plenty strong enough. He used to fish with it. It might be a fun activity for you to do with the children.
My brother was telling me about that. It sounds a little to "country" for me though. Think I'll stick to name brands. LOL
Unread
  (#9)
MSF Student

March 18, 2015, 11:19 PM

haha. It was pretty country. Central Florida country. Same guy who fed me the best pork I ever had (trapped hog sow).

Another option, that isn't a bow, is an air rifle. You can get a nice daisy and put up a target at 10 meters, start teaching marksmanship. ISSF/Olympic style!
Unread
  (#10)
Slowest Going Straight

March 19, 2015, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwkfym View Post
haha. It was pretty country. Central Florida country. Same guy who fed me the best pork I ever had (trapped hog sow).

Another option, that isn't a bow, is an air rifle. You can get a nice daisy and put up a target at 10 meters, start teaching marksmanship. ISSF/Olympic style!
Yeah, we already have one of those. She wants to fling arrows.

Tags
archery, bow, crossbow