DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 613
3 members and 610 guests
2blueyam, fxc3700, GRN96WS6
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
BP Boycott- hurting BP or small biz owners?
Unread
  (#1)
TPG og

BP Boycott- hurting BP or small biz owners? - June 28, 2010, 12:54 PM

I was eager to get into the boycott BP after what they have done and continue to do, buncha POS bastads. BUT after a talk with my cousin (who is also small biz owner), got to thinking, is this boycott hurting that dbag Tony Heyward or just small biz owners who had nothing to do with the malfeasance, incompetence and illegal activity that led to to the Gulf diasaster? Then realized I had same mentality, wanted to stop giving any money to local HD dealers because of what they did to Buell, but Fredneck HD, battley and Bmore HD had nothing to do with that traitor-communist Wandell's decision. What do ya'll think? These people are peeps from your city, your state that just happened to buy into a franchise thats run by dbags. Should they suffer cuz of this? They aren't buying any yachts or caviar anytime soon....And this article is from the very liberal HuffingtonPost, not Freerepublic or Foxnews....

Frustrated By Boycott, Station Owners Want BP Help

Tension is mounting between BP and the neighborhood retailers that sell its gasoline. As more Americans shun BP gasoline as a form of protest over the Gulf oil spill, station owners are insisting BP do more to help them convince motorists that such boycotts mostly hurt independently owned businesses, not the British oil giant.
To win back customers, they'd like the company's help in reducing the price at the pump.
BP owns just a fraction of the more than 11,000 stations across the U.S. that sell its fuel under the BP, Amoco and ARCO banners. Most are owned by local businessmen whose primary connection to the oil company is the logo and a contract to buy gasoline.
In recent weeks, some station owners from Georgia to Illinois say sales have declined as much as 10 percent to 40 percent.
Station owners and BP gas distributors told BP officials last week they need a break on the cost of the gas they buy, and they want help paying for more advertising aimed at motorists, according to John Kleine, executive director of the independent BP Amoco Marketers Association. The station owners, who earn more from sales of soda and snacks than on gasoline, also want more frequent meetings with BP officials.
"They have got to be more competitive on their fuel costs to the retailers so we can be competitive on the street ... and bring back customers that we've lost," says Bob Juckniess, who has seen sales drop 20 percent at some of his 10 BP-branded stations in the Chicago area.
Owners and distributors put forth their demands at a meeting in Chicago with BP marketing officials. BP's reply could come as early as this week, says Kleine, whose group represents hundreds of distributors.
Station owners are locked into contracts that can last seven to 10 years in some cases. So, switching to a competing brand if BP refuses to help may not be an option.
BP spokesman Scott Dean declined to offer specifics about the discussions when contacted by The Associated Press.
Story continues below

"BP is in daily contact with its independent distributors and franchisees and helping them manage the impacts the oil spill is having on their businesses," he said.
Gasoline retailing trade groups say the boycott's impact isn't only evident in southern states such as Florida, Georgia and Tennessee, but also in places further from the spill like southern Pennsylvania. Jim Smith, president and CEO of the Florida Petroleum Marketers & Convenience Store Association, said BP has given some station owners a one-cent-per-gallon discount, which "doesn't amount to much." Kleine told AP the discount appears limited to Florida. He declined to give the size of the discount that was requested at the Chicago meeting.
Websites and Facebook pages advocating a BP boycott popped up soon after oil started spewing into the Gulf in late April. Drivers only heeded the call when the spill's full impact became apparent.
Paola Soldevilla, manager of a BP station in Pembroke Pines, Fla., said it was only when images of oil-soaked birds appeared in newspapers that sales fell off. So sharply, in fact, that she won't be getting her usual one-week paid vacation.
Kevin Dalton can empathize. He owned a Citgo station when President Hugo Chavez made anti-American statements in 2006, leading to a boycott of the Venezuelan-owned gas company. Sales of gas and in-store items dropped more than 50 percent. Sales at his Shell station in Palm Beach Gardens, Fla., have increased 15 percent since the spill started in late April, but he says it's hard to directly tie that to a BP station less than a mile away.
Last week, Vincent Connolly's GPS guided him to a BP station off Interstate 480 in Cleveland. But he had second thoughts after filling up for $2.75 a gallon.
"You don't want to support anyone that's killing the environment," he said.
That connection to the destruction on the Gulf Coast concerns Juckniess, the Chicago station owner. He's been running his own promos – free coffee and $2 off a car wash – but he wants BP to step up support of both the stations and the BP brand.
"We're their branded marketers," he says. "It would be foolish for BP to not support its branded marketers when clearly we can document that some of the loss that we've experienced is due to the incidents in the Gulf."
The biggest hit comes not from lost gas sales but from lost convenience store business. Owners like Juckniess make just pennies on a gallon of gas. But they might make up to 55 cents on a $1 cup of coffee. The margins on candy and chips are about 48 percent and 37 percent, respectively, Jeff Lenard of the National Association of Convenience Stores.
The boycott's impact on BP is limited. The company makes most of its money exploring and producing oil in places such as Angola, Egypt, the North Sea and the Gulf of Mexico.
"The corner store is the face of BP, but by no means how BP gets its money," Lenard said.
And even if drivers opt to fill up at an Exxon or 7-Eleven, they still may buy BP gasoline. Because of the way gas is refined and marketed, BP fuel gets supplied to stations other than those with BP brands.
The boycott's impact is felt less in rural areas, where people know the owners personally. And it helps to sell other necessities.
Dacia Radabaugh, who manages a BP station owned by her parents in Williamstown, W.Va., thinks the station is as popular as ever because it sells liquor and cigarettes to a regular crowd.
And of course some drivers are just more pragmatic.
"Gas is gas, buddy," said Danny Sullivan, making no apologies for filling up at a Little General BP station in Charleston, W.Va. "It don't matter where it comes from."
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to b00st  
Unread
  (#2)
Yep, it's purple

June 28, 2010, 01:40 PM

Station owners who sell BP gas need to cut their ties with BP and go with another supplier. I know I won't buy BP gas unless I was running on fumes, and even then, only 1 gallon would be purchased to get me to the next station.

Drinks/chips/Candy I wouldn't have a problem buying from BP stations as long as it's independantly owned.

TPG - wreaking havoc since '07

"You only get one chance to walk on GOD’S green earth so you must always make the most of it or just waste away..."

You will never be forgotten, Jeff Vega. RIP
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Ni Hao Ma, Bitches!

June 28, 2010, 01:51 PM

I bought gas from BP once.....I alway tho their gas are more expensive than shell and Exxon.

2006 Husqvarna 510sm
2006 Honda 919
1995 Ducati MOnster 900 - sold
2000 Suzuki GSXR 600 Track Bike - sold
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to lemond Send a message via AIM to lemond Send a message via MSN to lemond  
Unread
  (#4)
I don't like you

June 28, 2010, 03:49 PM

You are only hurting the small business owner and not BP at all. These business also cannot just stop buying gas and switch to another company. Most are locked into multi year agreements.

RIP Jeff Vega 10/06/09 You will forever ride on in our hearts
Unread
  (#5)
poz top looking 4 neg bot

June 28, 2010, 03:53 PM

BP is a great company and you should continue using their products

(oh noes, my BP stock is falling hard)

horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you
Unread
  (#6)
Parkin lot pimpin'

June 28, 2010, 03:57 PM

I buy from the BP near my house every time because its the cheapest around by about 10-20 cents. I haven't seen it rise above like 2.93 for premium in months.

Anybody boycotting these stations are not helping anyone. You are just hurting the small biz owners and employees of these stations. BP may be a screwed up company but we don't know all the facts. Engineers are working round the clock to figure out a problem and these are some of the smartest minds in the world. We don't know everything about it so don't go pointing the blame when you're not smart enough to go fix the problem yourself. It isn't as simple as you think.

2013 Kawasaki ZX-6R - back at it again
2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R (636) Lots o' Mods - SOLD

2013 Ford F-150 Ecoboost (Toy Haulin)
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to EndoSJ3  
Unread
  (#7)
opossum puncher

June 28, 2010, 04:16 PM

It cracks me up boycotting BP. It was really just bad luck, all the other oil companies are engaged in the exact same practices, and any other company could be in the exact same boat.

That being said I dont buy BP because its always more expensive than stations even across the street. Costco gas FTW.

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#8)
GP Champ

June 28, 2010, 10:54 PM

I'm buying gas from BP every chance I get!

I look at it this way. If the boycott works then more taxpayer dollars will end up being used to clean up the mess. That's money out of my pocket for which I get nothing in return. If I'm buying gas from BP I'm helping fund the cleanup AND getting something for it.

As someone else metioned, it's just bad luck for BP that this happened to them. Could have been anyone. We demand, they supply. Shyt happens.
Unread
  (#9)
AMA Superbike Champ

June 28, 2010, 11:12 PM

Yeah if BP goes out of business who is gonna pay to clean that mess up, and pay for all the forthcoming lawsuits?
Unread
  (#10)
GDMFSOB

June 29, 2010, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windblown View Post
If the boycott works then more taxpayer dollars will end up being used to clean up the mess.
EXACTLY! Besides, not buying gas from them is just not going to do a damn thing. They have a *EDIT*30% market share in N. America and Europe combined. They are the single biggest producer in the US. Their products range from gas, oil and diesel to grease and other lubricants. Just refusing retail das won't hurt anyone but your neighbors. As well, to cut their ties with BP can cost 30- 100k.

#132 EX
Proudly representing: DC-MOTO, Amsoil, SHOEI, Woodcraft-CFM, MARRC

2015 MARRC Crash & Burn Award
2014 MARRC Sportsmanship Award
2013 MARRC Amateur of the Year
2012 MARRC Cornerworker of the Year
www.marrc.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
Here is my anus! Deliver thy penis unto it!.

Last edited by The Evil Twin; June 29, 2010 at 08:22 AM..
Unread
  (#11)
AMA Superbike Champ

June 29, 2010, 07:57 AM

I never got gas at BP to begin with & sure as hell wont start now.

But, its just crappy situation for station owners because they are locked in with BP. If anything station owners should sue the hell out of corporate for tarnishing their image.

2008 Ninja 250r
2006 GSXR-600
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to tiblot  
Unread
  (#12)
I got a need for Speed!_!

June 29, 2010, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiblot View Post
I never got gas at BP to begin with & sure as hell wont start now.

But, its just crappy situation for station owners because they are locked in with BP. If anything station owners should sue the hell out of corporate for tarnishing their image.
Me either, I live in Laurel and Shell basically has a monopoly on gas, plus Laurel has some of the lowest prices in the state and I have a Shell card that gives me a rebate.

Isn't what people are doing to BP the same as they've been doing to Citgo? In the end, a short term boycott does send a message to BP, but a long-term boycott will hurt the small business owner more then BP itself.

TPM Red
AMA#629103
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to thespectralsorrows Send a message via AIM to thespectralsorrows  
Unread
  (#13)
AMA Superbike Champ

June 29, 2010, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespectralsorrows View Post
Me either, I live in Laurel and Shell basically has a monopoly on gas, plus Laurel has some of the lowest prices in the state and I have a Shell card that gives me a rebate.

Isn't what people are doing to BP the same as they've been doing to Citgo? In the end, a short term boycott does send a message to BP, but a long-term boycott will hurt the small business owner more then BP itself.
I don't think a boycott will even be supported by most of the american public anyways. Probably will be heavily supported in the gulf states but outside of those areas, people don't care, don't know, or don't believe it will do any good.

Personally, I don't care one way or another. I goto the cheapest gas station I can find.

2008 Ninja 250r
2006 GSXR-600
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to tiblot  
Unread
  (#14)

June 29, 2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiblot View Post
I don't think a boycott will even be supported by most of the american public anyways. Probably will be heavily supported in the gulf states but outside of those areas, people don't care, don't know, or don't believe it will do any good.

Personally, I don't care one way or another. I goto the cheapest gas station I can find.
Very true, most people care about price more then anything, if BP gas is $.10-.20 less then the other stations in town their business will go up as even people who didn't use them before start going there.

TPM Red
AMA#629103
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to thespectralsorrows Send a message via AIM to thespectralsorrows  
Unread
  (#15)

June 29, 2010, 01:32 PM

You asked for it, BP delivered, bailout on the way!!
APNewsBreak: BP giving financial help to stations - Yahoo! News

TPM Red
AMA#629103