DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 628
2 members and 626 guests
2blueyam, GRN96WS6
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Buy American and Americans work... or do they
Unread
  (#1)
Knarly Adventurer

Thumbs down Buy American and Americans work... or do they - September 25, 2010, 09:51 AM

Busted Workers: Wolchek on FOX News

It's currently one of the most talked about reports in America. Problem Solver Rob Wolchek cracked the story of Chrysler plant workers drinking and smoking what appeared to be marijuana on their lunch break.
Friday, September 24, Rob appeared on FOX News' "America Live with Megyn Kelly" to talk about his recent investigation. He also commented on the feedback the story has been generating and discussed Chrysler and the UAW's reaction.

UNIONS... continuing to lower the bar for American workers every where.

Everytime you cook up...a little boy gets crushed by a bridge. -JTG40cal

2013 Triumph Tiger 800XC
2009 Scrambler SOLD
2007 ZX14 SOLD
2005 R1 SOLD
1999 ZRX SOLD
1996 FZR SOLD

Last edited by wildjester; September 25, 2010 at 09:57 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
AMA Superbike Champ

September 25, 2010, 10:00 AM

It's all Obama's fault. Thanks, FOX.

Edit: Fire them and move on.

Last edited by minuslars1; September 25, 2010 at 10:24 AM..
Unread
  (#3)
The last urrbendah

September 25, 2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minuslars1
It's all Obama's fault. Thanks, FOX.

Edit: Fire them and move on.
How? It's nearly impossible to fire someone in a union.

13 KTM 200 XC-W
15 KTM 350 XC-F

I might have a dirt bike problem.
Unread
  (#4)
Knarly Adventurer

September 25, 2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
I'm sure their union rep is going to bat for them right now. Getting them a great early retirement plan, with benefits. The only reason these buttholes are suspended with out pay, is becuase it has been so highly publicized... otherwise they would all be at home drunk and high collecting a check while this was sorted out.

Everytime you cook up...a little boy gets crushed by a bridge. -JTG40cal

2013 Triumph Tiger 800XC
2009 Scrambler SOLD
2007 ZX14 SOLD
2005 R1 SOLD
1999 ZRX SOLD
1996 FZR SOLD
Unread
  (#5)
cake > pie

September 25, 2010, 12:21 PM

I've never worked for a Union but they want to get htere hands on my company very badly for quite sometime now. They even will try to get Union "moles" hired into the company to go around and spread Union information/propaganda.
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#6)
GP Champ

September 25, 2010, 03:15 PM

I think it is easy to blame things on Unions, as if they were the sole source of a businesses problems.

Did you guys forget that our whole banking system almost capsized recently and most of the big banks were going to go bankrupt? None of them had unions.

But to the bigger question... it is true that unions raise the cost of labor. Let's say that a guy that gets paid $10/h ends up getting paid $15/h with a union. That's $80/day or $120/day. People say that unions make us not competitive on the global market. But do these numbers even matter when we are competing against Vietnamese or Chinese that get paid $10/day? Our labor is either 8 times more expensive or 12 times more expensive. Same difference.

Last edited by Witold; September 25, 2010 at 03:20 PM..
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

September 25, 2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:
You are talking as if every union was exactly the same. In reality, different unions have more or less power at different companies. At many union jobs, the workforce can shrink and expand very rapidly as they tend to use forced layoffs instead of firing people. So people get laid off for 8 months in which time they can look for other work or eventually - hopefully - get rehired.
Unread
  (#8)
Resident Rodent

September 25, 2010, 03:24 PM

Unions ... forcing American companies to outsource production to overseas factories for 30 years ...

Helping them out ... OSHA, NIOSH, taxes, and healthcare ... and further complicated by the individual State, county, and town laws (lead by NY and California).

We'll reach steady state or collapse in the next 20 years. I'll bet we become just like Europe ... or the Soviet Union if things go really badly (remember how fast that happened?)

Maybe we will make the countries we outsource to wealthy enough so that they start their own bureaucracies. But I be it happens a LOT slower than we bleed out.

- Rat

"Ride to the sound of the guns."

http://www.magicratproductions.com
Unread
  (#9)
GP Champ

September 25, 2010, 03:29 PM

It's easy - and kinda ironic - to rag on unions when one works for the government... which is most people in this area. (directly or indirectly.)

The fall of status for the US will not be because of these union guys in Ohio, but because of the huge government buildup in DC.
Unread
  (#10)
The last urrbendah

September 25, 2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witold View Post
You are talking as if every union was exactly the same. In reality, different unions have more or less power at different companies. At many union jobs, the workforce can shrink and expand very rapidly as they tend to use forced layoffs instead of firing people. So people get laid off for 8 months in which time they can look for other work or eventually - hopefully - get rehired.
All of the unions I have experience with are the same. Painting with a broad brush? Maybe. Do I care? Definitely not. My present employer has a union in place for the broadcasters and it's ridiculous. If it ever happened with the technical staff, I would do everything in my power to block it or get fired trying.

13 KTM 200 XC-W
15 KTM 350 XC-F

I might have a dirt bike problem.
Unread
  (#11)
GP Champ

September 25, 2010, 03:55 PM

You can get rid of unions, you can get rid of minimum wage, you can get rid off work place safety standards, and we can have plenty of $3/hour jobs with no benefits but we will still not be competitive with Chinese jobs where people live in dorms and jump off of roofs because the conditions are so miserable. Is that a great plan? To bring 3rd world working conditions back to the US so we can be competitive? America can't win the race to the bottom - and we should not be trying to engage in this battle.
Unread
  (#12)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

September 25, 2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witold View Post
You can get rid of unions, you can get rid of minimum wage, you can get rid off work place safety standards, and we can have plenty of $3/hour jobs with no benefits but we will still not be competitive with Chinese jobs where people live in dorms and jump off of roofs because the conditions are so miserable. Is that a great plan? To bring 3rd world working conditions back to the US so we can be competitive? America can't win the race to the bottom - and we should not be trying to engage in this battle.
No, but the current situation of a complete and total shitbird still being employed years later is unacceptable

Unions are responsible for shit like that.

-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
Unread
  (#13)
Eddie would go ...

September 25, 2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic-Rat View Post
I'll bet we become just like Europe ...
at least you'll know how to build decent cars then.....

wtf

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
No one gives a fuck about your puff out your chest bravado.
Unread
  (#14)
klk
Licensed Rider

September 25, 2010, 06:48 PM

I worked for the UAW for 13 years. What they do on their lunch break is there business. Should they be punished not so sure on that as it was not on company time or company property so other than the employer testing and catching. They are not paid for lunch. Drugs I have an issue with but having a drink on your lunch give me a break. Why don't they follow the Exec's around and see what they are doing on their lunch break.

Follow our Congress and see what they do. Everyone blames the Union and employees for the problems the Big 3 are in. Yes, Union is to blame for some things (protecting employees who believe the company owes them and refuse to work) I will agree with that but the employees were not the ones spending the money and making bad decisions.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to klk Send a message via MSN to klk  
Unread
  (#15)
GDMFSOB

September 25, 2010, 07:16 PM

First of all, did you notice that there were maybe 15 people shown in the clip that was run 100 times? 15 or 20 people out of over 300,000 current members! I'll bet that every major employer (without testing) has a drug use rate that high. Wrong? Yes. Should they be punished? Yes.
Alcohol.... oh boy! Ever been to Europe? Pretty normal to have a pint or 2 at lunch. Is it against the rules of the UAW or their contract holder? Duno, but if it is then punish them.
I just don't see the hooplah.
Quote:
False.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic-Rat View Post
Unions ... forcing American companies to outsource production to overseas factories for 30 years ...

Helping them out ... OSHA, NIOSH, taxes, and healthcare ... and further complicated by the individual State, county, and town laws (lead by NY and California).
Maybe we will make the countries we outsource to wealthy enough so that they start their own bureaucracies. But I be it happens a LOT slower than we bleed out.
Also because high tariff's are attached to our exports. Also because the factory workers in China are 1 step above slaves. Also because lemming America buys cheap toys laced with lead and phosphorus for our kids. Also because the federal government is the biggest employer, but produces nothing.

#132 EX
Proudly representing: DC-MOTO, Amsoil, SHOEI, Woodcraft-CFM, MARRC

2015 MARRC Crash & Burn Award
2014 MARRC Sportsmanship Award
2013 MARRC Amateur of the Year
2012 MARRC Cornerworker of the Year
www.marrc.org

Quote:
Here is my anus! Deliver thy penis unto it!.