DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 516
0 members and 516 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Buy a house????
Unread
  (#1)
singin sweet home alabama

Buy a house???? - June 16, 2006, 03:54 PM

Okay, so how exactly does anyone buy a house around here?

For what I'd want, I'm seeing prices in the 500k-700k range.

The general rules of thumb as I understand them, that significantly affect me (albeit, I've been in Mississippi for 7 years, and this is a whole different world up here):

1) banks don't want you to have a housing expense-to-income ratio greater than 28%.
2) To avoid paying private mortgage insurance, you must have 20% of the home price as downpayment.

So, for a $600,000 house, I'd need at least $120,000 minimum for downpayment plus closing costs, taxes and all that jazz. So that'd be a $480,000+ mortgage.

To fit that inside a 28% housing expense-to-income ratio, sitting with something like a $3000/mo. payment on that 30 yr $480,000 mortgage, you'd need a yearly income of about $130,000.

So you f'rs that have recently bought houses must be pulling down some mad dough. I can handle the downpayment, and the mortgage payment but that beating that damn ratio is several years of raises [ & a new job lol] away for my wife and I. So how do you do it?

I haven't spoken to a realtor or anything, I'm just doing some preliminary planning.

"No race has ever been won in the first corner, but plenty have been lost there."
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to DvlsAdvc8  
Unread
  (#2)
Lurking

June 16, 2006, 04:02 PM

Makes me glad I bought my house back in 2001 before everything went crazy. It would be hopeless for me it I tried to buy anything nowadays.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to CrazyDaDa  
Unread
  (#3)
rdg
best avatar in the biz

June 16, 2006, 04:04 PM

What a lot of people do is take out a second loan to cover that first 20% to avoid paying the insurance cost.

Basically, though, you're fucked up here.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Suddenly Superstitious!!!

June 16, 2006, 04:11 PM

You can get a house loan with 10% down. Get a second mortgage for the other 10% to avoid paying PMI.

Try further out...and off season. I'd expect to see some decent deals mid-winter.

I want my baby back, baby back, baby back....Chileeeeee's bay back...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MudDawg  
Unread
  (#5)
WPNR

June 16, 2006, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudDawg
You can get a house loan with 10% down. Get a second mortgage for the other 10% to avoid paying PMI.

Try further out...and off season. I'd expect to see some decent deals mid-winter.
Yep i'm waiting till like october.

-------------------------------------------------------------
ME!!!
http://www.dcsportbikes.net/photoplo...2_Yamahar6.jpg
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Phife  
Unread
  (#6)

June 16, 2006, 04:22 PM

The downpayment isn't the worst thing for me. It's the 28% housing expense to income rule on a mortgage.

Does that not apply up here? I just need to get a 6 figure job.

"No race has ever been won in the first corner, but plenty have been lost there."
Unread
  (#7)
got lost on my way to.com

June 16, 2006, 04:29 PM

ahh ive got a realtor.. and im looking at houses... i made ... well honestly kinda ridiculous money for a 24yr old.. so i can afford a 450k or so house..

but it just doesnt seem worth it.. 450k buys a shack around here it seems like.. my apartment is bigger the some of these places..

and dammed if i want that big of a chunk of my paycheck going into housing.. without being able to buy all my toys/vacations
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to dreamone  
Unread
  (#8)
Groundhogs can play dead

June 16, 2006, 04:34 PM

28% housing to debt ratio seems way too low. You can talk to some mortgage guys without feeling obligated, just know that every one of them is going to want to run your credit (bad).

Tanya
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#9)
You meet the nicest

June 16, 2006, 04:45 PM

That 28% is just a guideline. Each lender sets their own figure and they have different ways of weighting all the factors. Credit score seems to be the biggest deal. I bought a house last year and was blown away by how much I qualified for. My realtor (and riding buddy) put me in touch with the loan lady in his office. She asked for my SSN (to look up credit score), salary, debt, and assets (401K for me). Within 5 minutes she gave me an amount that I qualified for.

I ended up getting 80% + 20% loans from the same company. Amazing.

PM me if you want my boy’s #. He’s really laid back and won’t pressure you to work with him, just give you the lady’s # who can tighten you up with solid numbers for your planning.

BECAUSE I GET OFF ON IT!
Unread
  (#10)
Suddenly Superstitious!!!

June 16, 2006, 04:49 PM

Gaal is right. Find out what you would qualify for first. Then try to NOT go that hgih. You would end up being house rich and cash strapped.

Also look into doing an ARM. Most people go right for 30 year loans....but most never stay longer than about 8 years. No....I'm not kidding.

I want my baby back, baby back, baby back....Chileeeeee's bay back...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MudDawg  
Unread
  (#11)
Playing with toys

June 16, 2006, 05:07 PM

Or you can always hang tight until this market goes bust & banks end up foreclosing on folks that have monthly market gauged interest rates. Once that happens houses will be sitting around & banks will be willing to take loses just to offload em'. Of course, this depends on the market & it will not be pretty when it happens. Too many folks buying houses to try and flip em' and not enough people looking for residents = a buyers market once this all plays out (but this time will come).

PSN - nate1213

RIP Storm May 29, 2009
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to N8RIDER  
Unread
  (#12)

June 16, 2006, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfinch
28% housing to debt ratio seems way too low. You can talk to some mortgage guys without feeling obligated, just know that every one of them is going to want to run your credit (bad).
Not debt ratio... its housing expense to income ratio. 28% is pretty standard in most of the country... I don't know about NoVA.

In other words, its what percent of your income is your mortgage payment. Most banks won't give you anything that would put you over 28%.

Unread
  (#13)

June 16, 2006, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate1213
Or you can always hang tight until this market goes bust & banks end up foreclosing on folks that have monthly market gauged interest rates. Once that happens houses will be sitting around & banks will be willing to take loses just to offload em'. Of course, this depends on the market & it will not be pretty when it happens. Too many folks buying houses to try and flip em' and not enough people looking for residents = a buyers market once this all plays out (but this time will come).
I was talking about this the other day with a co-worker. He spelled out a doomsday scenario like this, and that you just gotta have money in hand at the right time.

Me, I don't know... I generally don't put much faith in extreme predictions.

Unread
  (#14)
Unicorn Rider

June 16, 2006, 11:54 PM

I went WAY OUT to get a better deal and saved some cash. Your wife saw where i'll be living.. it's nice, just a hike to work everyday. For the record I don't make $130+k a year either and i'm doing it on a single income.

'15 Ducati 821 Monster
Miss my GSXR
Unread
  (#15)

June 17, 2006, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by averagebrunette
I went WAY OUT to get a better deal and saved some cash. Your wife saw where i'll be living.. it's nice, just a hike to work everyday. For the record I don't make $130+k a year either and i'm doing it on a single income.
Yeah she said you had a great view... but that's too much of a daily haul for me. I've done that before, not going back.