DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 418
5 members and 413 guests
2blueyam, HotRod1200, legendindisguise, Sal_the_man, Slider
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Buying a Computer, help
Unread
  (#1)
AMA Superbike Champ

Buying a Computer, help - April 26, 2012, 06:35 PM

Probably will be a laptop. Needs to be able to run games well, in addition to all the normal things like word, excel, internet, etc.

How much RAM is enough? Does it really need to be 1333 or 1600 or I saw 18 something recently too. Do I really need an i7 processor? There appear to be a lot of companies out there that I had never heard of until recently that are gaming based. MSI and Clevo are a couple. Alienware. Also read about Asus and Acer products but those are better known.

I'm not interested in a cpu w/ crazy lights on it. Just one that works really well.

Most importantly besides performance, for me, is longevity. Something that won't break. Do these smaller companies have competitive products that are built with quality that won't break down or is it better to stay with a name brand?
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Your Ad Here

April 26, 2012, 06:41 PM

If you want a laptop for gaming, the answer is buy the newest fastest family of processors (Not necessarily the fastest one because you can always go down a step and then overclock up) and the most memory that fits within your budget. Do not forget that you will need an equally powerful graphics card for this task.

Alienware is probably the best known brand name in this regard since from the outset, the focused pretty much on mass production gaming rigs.

MSI is a reputable name as well. Overpriced but reputable.

In so much as RAM, more - more - and more is better. At this point I would set the floor for your type of use @ 6GB, 8 or more being ideal.

You may also want to put a little money aside for a SSD as well instead of normal HD.
I saw a 2.5" - 125GB SSD on sale for $92 on TIgerDirect the other day.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Last edited by Heist; April 26, 2012 at 06:44 PM..
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Keeping it Frugal...

April 26, 2012, 06:41 PM

What is your Budget? Do you care if it's a PC or Mac?
Most computers come standard with at least 4gb of Memory. That will suffice.
Technology is constantly evolving. Don't think about will it last because tomorrow something better will come out. Think about will it fit your needs. My macbook was purchased in 2007 and has went through a lot. I'm replacing it when the new ones are released, but it been through 3 OS upgrades, and plenty of software for school and personal use.

When you mention games, you are branching out into a new field of computers. The average computer ($600) will do the job of general things (Word processing, apps, youtube and movies)
but when you get into games you need processing power and memory and a good graphics card.

Dimes Tha Don / Frugal King
Unread
  (#4)
Keeping it Frugal...

April 26, 2012, 06:42 PM

Damn Heist beat me by a few seconds.

Intel is releasing new processors very soon. Ivy Bridge. They run 20% faster and 20% cooler. If you can hold out, wait a few weeks for them to be available. Maybe they will have some reviews on them shortly also.

Dimes Tha Don / Frugal King
Unread
  (#5)
2 wheels for life

April 26, 2012, 06:43 PM

I loved my Alienware and it was a very nice laptop.. I used it for 5.5 years before it died(graphics card got fkd) .. it did have some heating issues initially for which I had to send it back like 3 times within a month but aftervthat they fixed it proper .. played a shit load of games on it aswell

Adrenaline Addict
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#6)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

April 26, 2012, 06:51 PM

If you're buying a laptop make sure it has the new Ivy Bridge processor (there are a few Ivys out already).

If you don't need high end gamin graphics then look at an Ultrabook, a few companies offer them.

You need a minimum of 4gb memory. Ignore memory speeds if you're not gaming.

Asus just came out with a new Ultrabook that's equipped with an Ivy Bridge core, it would be a good buy.

Why Ultrabook? Compact, lightweight, great battery, less moving parts, better resale.

-Ryan
Unread
  (#7)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

April 26, 2012, 06:53 PM

My favorite computer to date is my Samsung Series 7 Slate. It's an Ultrabook in a tablet form factor.

-Ryan
Unread
  (#9)
SRWJTS Media and Safety

April 26, 2012, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macon663 View Post
1500ish is budget.

Does asus make good stuff?
Yes

'04 F4i - Sold
'12 ZX6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nard Dog
I wish there was a way to know you're in the good ol' days, before you've actually left them

Discord - camelhumps#7702
Unread
  (#10)
#swag

April 26, 2012, 08:16 PM

MBP

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Nick  
Unread
  (#11)
AMA Superbike Champ

April 26, 2012, 08:33 PM

Looks like Asus has a new G55 coming out w/ whatever that new ivy bridge processor is.
Unread
  (#12)
turn or crash....

April 27, 2012, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macon663 View Post
Looks like Asus has a new G55 coming out w/ whatever that new ivy bridge processor is.
Yeah that G55 looks like a great machine, plenty of memory, good graphics, and gast Processor. Should run any game currently out, or out in the next year or two fine.

- djkouza
############
Bikes: I might own one...
############
djkouza - XBOX
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to djkouza  
Unread
  (#13)
AMA Superbike Champ

April 27, 2012, 07:12 AM

The guys at Best Buy told me Samsung was the hot ish these days. Best customer service and best products. They have a new cpu coming also w/ the ivy bridge.

Something thats not immediately apparent to me is whether the new ivy is better than the older sandy bridge chips. MSI has computers out w/ the new ivy also and you can price one up w/ either a new i7 3610 or an i7 2760. And the 2760 is more expensive.

Intel Core i7-3610QM Processor, 2.3 GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.3GHz), 6MB Smart Cache [included in price] vs. Intel Core i7-2760QM Processor, 2.4 GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.5GHz), 6MB Smart Cache [add $239.00]

I tend to be a proponent of you get what you pay for. does that apply in this instance? Or is a 2.4 ghz 2nd gen chip faster than a new 2.3 ghz 3rd gen chip? Maybe thats a dumb question. Seems to be regardless of speed, the new ivy is more efficient leading to better battery life.
Unread
  (#14)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

April 27, 2012, 07:39 AM

Ivy will be close to 20% faster than Sandy, use less power, and offer better built-in graphics.

It uses a 22nm process while SB uses 32nm. Big difference.

-Ryan
Unread
  (#15)
AMA Superbike Champ

April 27, 2012, 07:45 AM

it's all about the Nvidia chipset

#1 Machine: Suzuki GS500K2 / Bridgestone package
#2 Machine: BMW G310R / Michelin package - sooooo light and stable it's funny