DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 559
3 members and 556 guests
fxc3700, nootherids, Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Buying a Pre-Owned Car - Beware: The "Sandy" Cars Are In The Retail Channel
Unread
  (#1)
Your Ad Here

Buying a Pre-Owned Car - Beware: The "Sandy" Cars Are In The Retail Channel - December 13, 2012, 08:07 PM

Hey troops, just a heads up. The Sandy vehicles are beginning to wash up on shore. I say this because coming from New York, I know most of the motorcycle and motorsports dealers on Long Island are dotted along the South Shore and specifically along Montauk & Sunrise Highways. As a matter of fact I believe the largest motorsports dealer in all of lower New York is in Wantagh/Rockville Center.

So the backstory is as such. A friend of mine was about to purchase a Lexus GS from a local independent dealer last week and exited the deal last night.

He ran a CarFax and nothing popped, but decided to have a PPI done.

According to the records the car was originally sold in Florida, then moved variously through Maryland, Connecticut, and New York before being auctioned and dropping off the radar for a month or so.

Despite the fact that the dealer did not know the correct color (it's black - but Lexus has 3 blacks to choose from) or all the options (fully loaded) on the car, after a quick test drive he was interested and negotiated an aggressive price, contingent on an acceptable PPI.

What was found in the PPI was not necessarily shocking at first for a car with barely 31,000 miles - a rear shock was leaking, repainted door handles, a small leaking oil pan gasket, the windshield was a replacement, but it gave reason to inspect further.

Then came the tell tale signs - the license plate light had some condensation trapped inside the bezel, the faint smell that he mistakened for Lysol which he believed was being used to cover up a former smoker owner the PPI place identified as Microban - an antimold and fungal agent. They moved and decided to get down inside some of the wiring harness pulling off the connectors, the insides were hazy white with akaline oxidation. Next they removed the rear seat and the underside of the seat and chassis sound deadened showed all the tell-tale marks of something which has been introduced to copious amounts of water.

He walked away from the deal and demanded that they dealer cover half the PPI inspection cost for attempting to sell him a flood recovery. The dealer professed not to know about the car's history, only that they purchased it from a wholesaler and countered with a 3% off the negotiated price (Dafuq?!), then a $750 credit on any other car on the lot, but under threat of bad publicity, relented and agree to reimburse him for half the PPI.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Suddenly Superstitious!!!

December 13, 2012, 08:53 PM

PPI? What is that?

I want my baby back, baby back, baby back....Chileeeeee's bay back...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MudDawg  
Unread
  (#3)
Riz
Hallmark card?!?

December 13, 2012, 08:57 PM

Yea i am getting ready to buy a car next week and I am afraid of this happening as well. I get my cars from dealer only auctions (mannheim) but i am unsure about going that route this time.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Member of SRWJTS

December 13, 2012, 09:57 PM

this it gonna happen all the time across the entire east coast, it's going to be horrible.

2001 Kawasaki ZX6R: Yoshi slip-on
1999 Trans AM WS6, Long tubes, full exhaust, extra sexy
2006 GTO 6spd, 1 of 390 Silver, SLP LM1 (Sold)
2001 R1; blue, Yoshi slip on (sold Jan 12, 2012)
(RIP) 2000 Camaro SS
1999 Trans Am Ws6 30k miles, 6spd (sold)
1999 Camaro coupe 6 cyl (traded in after a week to get the SS)
Unread
  (#5)
Too Lazy to Post

December 13, 2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudDawg View Post
PPI? What is that?
I didn't know either and found this while searching:

Used-Car Pre-Purchase Inspection | J.D. Power
Unread
  (#6)
poz top looking 4 neg bot

December 13, 2012, 10:06 PM

Yep, I don't fuck around when it comes to buying used cars. PPI + compression and leak down tests...the full nine yards

horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you
Unread
  (#7)
Serial Killer

December 14, 2012, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudDawg View Post
PPI? What is that?
At my job, I call it a Pre-Planned Illness...typically used for nice riding days

I'm a lead farmer, motherfucker!!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Diggy Send a message via AIM to Diggy  
Unread
  (#8)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

December 14, 2012, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggy View Post
At my job, I call it a Pre-Planned Illness...typically used for nice riding days
You ride?

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#9)
The last urrbendah

December 14, 2012, 07:22 AM

Quote:

Just down to CVS to pick up some sheen.

13 KTM 200 XC-W
15 KTM 350 XC-F

I might have a dirt bike problem.
Unread
  (#10)
Sewing Machine Rider

December 14, 2012, 07:26 AM

While there are definitely going to be some of these cars out there, the vast majority get claimed through insurance, go through the process, and come out with a branded title. Definitely agree that PPI is the way to go when buying any used car, but I'm just saying it's not like every flooded Sandy car is going to be disguised and sold with a clear title.
Unread
  (#11)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

December 14, 2012, 07:33 AM

Quote:

When I get a job im going to use PPIs all da time. good to know!
Unread
  (#12)
Your Ad Here

December 14, 2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_sur View Post
While there are definitely going to be some of these cars out there, the vast majority get claimed through insurance, go through the process, and come out with a branded title. Definitely agree that PPI is the way to go when buying any used car, but I'm just saying it's not like every flooded Sandy car is going to be disguised and sold with a clear title.
Where's Wildjester. I'm sure in his course of business, he comes across this manner of flim-flam every now and then.

I would like to know they end-around Carfax and in some cases wash the title to not reflect Recovery or Rebuild.

That's not to say that flood damaged cars are necessarily horrible. I bought one in my late-teens that previously had taken a dip in a Lake Ronkonkoma. Got a great deal. So long as the seller is forthcoming and there is disclosure, the buyer is aware of what they are purchasing in totality.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

Unread
  (#13)
Sewing Machine Rider

December 14, 2012, 08:23 AM

It really depends on how complicated the car is, where the electronics are housed, and how high the water got. I worked at a junkyard\salvage dealer for a summer during college and some would come in and be absolutely fine, particularly when they were simpler cars or the ecu was mounted high and the water only got to the floorboard. My favorite was a Jeep that got claimed as flood damage -I wish I had the money back then to pick that up.

Others would come in and be completely fcked, particularly luxury cars with lots of electronics and especially those with the ECU or electronics mounted under the seat and where the water level was higher.

The problem is, they both look the same when they get cleaned up so it's really hard to tell where the water line was. Sometimes you can peel back the carpet or look under the dash somewhere, but it really just depends on how much time the detail crew spent. I probably wouldn't buy a flood car unless I saw it before it was cleaned up and could tell where the water line was. Electrical gremlins are a btch.
Unread
  (#14)
What are we doing here???

December 14, 2012, 01:55 PM

I need to buy a car for my son to drive back and forth to school and I will be on the lookout for this. Good info.

Beauty and The Beast

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Unread
  (#15)
Your Ad Here

December 15, 2012, 02:52 PM

Yes, caveat emptor. Even a dealer warranty wouldn't be of any great use because flood cars always seem to start exhibiting their problems after the 30-day warranty expires.

Lemon Law is of no use either.