DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 559
3 members and 556 guests
beatle, davidcycle, Nobrains
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Buying Race bike: Drive 10 hr/600 miles or Ship???
Unread
  (#1)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

Exclamation Buying Race bike: Drive 10 hr/600 miles or Ship??? - November 2, 2011, 03:31 PM

How much do you think its worth to get a motorcycle shipped?
Im looking at a new race bike thats a 10 hour drive / 600 mi. Its at a shop and I havent heard back from them if they can ship or not.

But do you think its worth driving 600 miles...10 hours to Indianapolis, IN to get a bike ?? or have it shipped.

The other issue for me would be when to take off work to get it and also weather...saturday most of that route had a fair amount of snow.

Nissan truck gets upper teens highway heading there.
What is a reasonable shipping price? I use to have all my old bikes shipped, but its been at least 6 years and shipping seemed cheaper.

$500 a good price?

What would you do?

The Nightmare of Summit Point
WERA Nov# 325 / CCS # 326
2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) | 2011 ZX10RR(Race)
2011 R6 (Street & Track) | 2009 WR250F
GunnRunnaz.com|GR on FaceBook | www.2666ad.com|
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#2)
Can't Find the Ditch

November 2, 2011, 03:34 PM

Drive, inspect it, bring it home.

06 Honda F4I #36-Bought it back!
First Track Day 9/1/09
MARCC Supporter
TPM
Roger Lyle #36

WE STOLE THE EAGLE FROM THE AIR FORCE, THE ANCHOR FROM THE NAVY AND THE ROPE FROM THE ARMY.
ON THE SEVENTH DAY WHILE GOD RESTED, WE OVERRAN HIS PERIMETER, STOLE THE GLOBE AND WE'VE BEEN RUNNING THE WHOLE SHOW EVER SINCE.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Traction Control

November 2, 2011, 03:36 PM

yea drive its it's not too much more $$. the value of being able to check it out is high

KTM RC8R
KTM RC390 race
Yamaha R6 race
Honda CRF50 mini
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Tecknojoe  
Unread
  (#4)
Mojito Anyone?

November 2, 2011, 03:40 PM

drive that bish.. roadtrips are fun

ay ya yay
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to onel0wcubn Send a message via AIM to onel0wcubn  
Unread
  (#5)
Your Ad Here

November 2, 2011, 03:42 PM

Hell no. A 20 hour round trip. No, not worth it.
Gas alone is going to run you $200.

And 20 hours of my time is worth more. Not unless you have some kind of hunger to see and do a road trip to Indianapolis - which is FLAT as a pancake and boring as looking at paint dry.
(Trust me; I've done the drive 3x (6 altogether back and forth) from Midway Airport in Chi to Ind for the F1 races).

My RC was in Louisiana. There was no way on God's green I was going to drive the 13 hours one way to get it.

I had the guy take it to an independent shop of my choosing, we agree to go half on an inspection, and then I had it shipped to me for $350 (2004/5 dollars).

They rolled the truck up to my front door 3 days after it was sent and rolled it off right into my parking spot. Signed some paperwork. Done. No muss, no fuss.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#6)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

November 2, 2011, 03:45 PM

as long as the bike runs , and the frame is good I dont care much about anything else.

I sometimes estimate the cost of gas, and the time off from work and come up with a figure to see if its even worth it.

In the long run It will cost me more to drive up and get it with the time off from work and what id have to spend in gas.

Im so damn 50/50 on shit....it takes reading a majority rule for me to decide hahaha
Personaly Im leaning towards having it shipped. One reason is I hate RT 76. Everytime i took it to Nelsons it was an Adventure.

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#7)
Power One User

November 2, 2011, 03:49 PM

I have had a new left over bike shipped from Denver once. It was freaking sweet. Semi shows up and drops that crate right into my garage. Just like Christmas. That was a new bike though. If you are OK with the condition of a used bike sight unseen, then have it shipped. Without a doubt.

But keep in mind, I'm sometimes borderline anti-social. Some people really get into dealing with people in person, and enjoy the whole transaction.

CCS AM #710

Last edited by Todd; November 2, 2011 at 03:52 PM..
Unread
  (#8)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

November 2, 2011, 03:50 PM

Part of the buying process is the travel imo. I have done 20 hours one way to pick up a bike. Take a friend and have a good time.

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#9)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

November 2, 2011, 03:56 PM

I've had all my old salvage bikes shipped with no issues so far. The pics of the bike (at a dealer) looks like a typical low side. I can fix all of it as long as frame, swingarm and wheels are good. The rest id strip down and using parts for racing.

I do have a partner that can drive with me tho...so that is a plus. And the truck have all the utilities to keep me and passenger entertained (XM radio, DVD player {not that id watch it lol} and such.)....

Hiest made me say...heay fuck that...
Then Dodge made me think....yeah...road trip with a chick on shotguy isnt bad....

Im soooo scared it will snow...lol

Unread
  (#10)
Your Ad Here

November 2, 2011, 03:58 PM

Another thing you have to factor on long road trips - something which many DO NOT think about until after it happens: Unknown roads and speed traps!

Well known fact State & Country police will lock-in on out of state plates. The chance of someone coming back to fight a speeding ticket is little to nil; they'll just pay the fine.

Yes, yes - well if you use cruise control and maintain the speed limit, you'll have no problems.
Have you ever driven in the heartlands? It's all too easy on those long, straight, mid-Western highways where you can see the road narrow to a vanishing point 20 miles ahead of you on the horizon line, to get so goddamn bored of seeing wheat field after field, you itch and "open it up" a little 70-80-90mph ... just for a sprint ... because there's not a patrol car in sight for miles and ... BOOM!

You got nailed by air patrol. Or an unmarked. Or they were hidden behind and embankment with front and rear firing radar.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#11)
unapologetic

November 2, 2011, 03:59 PM

road trip. Hands down. Indy aint that far away.

"ride on #47, ride on"

on the internet you can be anyone you want, it's strange that so many people choose to be so stupid
Unread
  (#12)
The last urrbendah

November 2, 2011, 04:04 PM

I'd go but I don't think we can ride in the same car through certain parts of Ohio.

13 KTM 200 XC-W
15 KTM 350 XC-F

I might have a dirt bike problem.
Unread
  (#13)
Traction Control

November 2, 2011, 04:04 PM

I think Heist has been Heisted on long trips. 10 hours is nothing. I just did 16 hr one day, 12 hr the second day, twice at the end of last year. It felt like nothing. It depends on the driver, I for one, don't mind trips. Getting to Indy is cake

KTM RC8R
KTM RC390 race
Yamaha R6 race
Honda CRF50 mini
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Tecknojoe  
Unread
  (#14)
GP Racer

November 2, 2011, 04:29 PM

nani once dragged his brother and I on a 25 hr trip to fl and back to pick up a bike (he told us we were just going to NC, and we left at midnight). after that fiasco, i told him i'd rather chip in money to have bikes shipped then to co-drive with him again. needless to say the last few bikes were all shipped. In fact i think he just shipped the latest one from around that area. So long as the condition of the bike is known it's really not worth the $ for gas, miles on your car, and the fact that you're burning an entire weekend (or $ for workdays) for both you and your co-driver(s).

roadtrips are fun, but driving along boring roads, along places you've already been, all while being on a schedule (to meetup with seller, and to get back) sounds like work to me. shipping is cheap and you can relax and enjoy your weekend.
Unread
  (#15)
Power One User

November 2, 2011, 04:38 PM

I think it depends on age somewhat too. In my twenties, road trip. Now at 40, my time is more important. If I am going to take a day off for something motorcycle related, I better be riding one.

CCS AM #710