DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 544
3 members and 541 guests
CCS762ZX6, nootherids, Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
Ballaugh Bridge

July 14, 2004, 02:37 PM

I'm looking for suggestion and recommendations for cable modems and routers, and the best place to buy them?

'08 MARRC Expert Racer of the Year
2009 #3 Combined Overall Championship

Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Happiness Consultant

July 14, 2004, 02:43 PM

check with your Internet provider first about what type of hardware they support. Usually that information is on their site and they even have suggestions.

The Toshiba PCX series and Motorola Surfboard series hardware is usually universal. Go to Pricegrabber.com for best prices.

word

DBR
#135, #47, Vega
--
"Never contract friendship with a man that is not better than thyself." - Confucius

Will pay to see this
whatever henry's name is these days: jason, seriously, im going to kick your face in when I get back
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to EduardoSuave  
Unread
  (#3)
GP Champ

July 14, 2004, 02:46 PM

Go with Linksys. Cicso makes all their hardware. Buy.com has good prices

Katie 135
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Brooks  
Unread
  (#4)
Site Owner

July 14, 2004, 03:19 PM

Get the cheapest. All cable modems nowadays are DOCSIS compliant and should work universally.

oh, and Cisco sucks. However Linksys equipment does rock so that was one good thing Cisco has done was acquire them.

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#5)
AMA Superbike Champ

July 15, 2004, 02:25 PM

I have a Toshiba PCX modem. No problems with it. Cant go wrong with a Netgear or a Linksys router. Check out Amazon.com, Bizrate.com or Pricegrabber.com for deals on them. Good luck.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to RichieRichR6  
Unread
  (#6)
Signed up for Track Days!

July 16, 2004, 09:00 AM

We've got a Motorola Modem (provided by Comcast) and a Linksys wireless router. Everything seems to work pretty good. It's a pain in the butt setting up all the wireless security, but I guess it's worth it. We have a laptop and a desktop connected. It's a 'b' network and that's OK for now. We'll upgrade when Comcast up's its speed.

Jim R
Unread
  (#7)
Site Owner

July 16, 2004, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimr140
We've got a Motorola Modem (provided by Comcast) and a Linksys wireless router. Everything seems to work pretty good. It's a pain in the butt setting up all the wireless security, but I guess it's worth it. We have a laptop and a desktop connected. It's a 'b' network and that's OK for now. We'll upgrade when Comcast up's its speed.

Jim R
Cable will never be faster than the throughput that your linksys 802.11b wireless point can provide..

Only reason to go to 802.11g is if you're streaming video, or doing a lot of file transfers over your wireless network.

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#8)
Happiness Consultant

July 16, 2004, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimr140

Jim R
Only reason to go to 802.11g is if you're streaming video, or doing a lot of file transfers over your wireless network.
hmmmm sounds like you've been testing this alot....so how much pr0n do you have?

DBR
#135, #47, Vega
--
"Never contract friendship with a man that is not better than thyself." - Confucius

Will pay to see this
whatever henry's name is these days: jason, seriously, im going to kick your face in when I get back
Unread
  (#9)
Officially Addicted to Posting

July 16, 2004, 11:00 AM

At home, I use the Motorola surfboard and wireless D-Link router with no problems. In the office I am using a wireless Netgear router, and have had some issues with connections being dropped and having to reboot the router to get it back up. Not sure if it's an environment issue, or that the netgear router is the problem.

Love the wireless! I keep one home PC hard wired, another wireless, and both work fine. It's nice to be able to bring my laptop home from the office and use it whereever. All but one office PC is wireless. One seemed to keep losing the wireless, so I hard wired it. Oddly, it's the one that is closest to the router.

Bought the d-link at the price club , and the netgear from a local Richmond shop.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rddy  
Unread
  (#10)
Happiness Consultant

July 16, 2004, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rddy
At home, I use the Motorola surfboard and wireless D-Link router with no problems. In the office I am using a wireless Netgear router, and have had some issues with connections being dropped and having to reboot the router to get it back up. Not sure if it's an environment issue, or that the netgear router is the problem.

Love the wireless! I keep one home PC hard wired, another wireless, and both work fine. It's nice to be able to bring my laptop home from the office and use it whereever. All but one office PC is wireless. One seemed to keep losing the wireless, so I hard wired it. Oddly, it's the one that is closest to the router.

Bought the d-link at the price club , and the netgear from a local Richmond shop.
Regarding the office router, do you have a 2.4 Ghz wireless phone? Ive seen this a bunch of times where the phone will knock out the wireless hub. It used to happen at my old place once my ex-roomie got the phone. Had several buddies encounter the same problem when they or their neighbors got 2.4 GHz phone too. To fix, reboot the router...was quite painful.

DBR
#135, #47, Vega
--

Will pay to see this
Unread
  (#11)

July 16, 2004, 11:58 AM

Yep, there is one here. Doh. Didn't think that would be a problem. Hmm, guess I'll have to try not using that for a while and see what happens.

Thanks!
Unread
  (#12)
Signed up for Track Days!

July 16, 2004, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper
Cable will never be faster than the throughput that your linksys 802.11b wireless point can provide..

Yea, that's what I figured. The only advantage I can see is transfer rate does not drop off as sharply in relation to signal strength. My desktop with the antenna gets a strong signal all the time. My wife's laptop varies dramatically as you move from spot to spot in the house. With a 'g' network you can get higher rates with a weaker signal. Nothing beats dialing into the office from the deck! Well, except not having to work at all.

Jim R
Unread
  (#13)
Ballaugh Bridge

July 16, 2004, 04:35 PM

Would this be the way to go?
Motorola SURFboard Wireless Cable Modem Gateway
http://broadband.motorola.com/consum...00/default.asp
I could get it at Circuitcity for $157 w/tax[/url]

'08 MARRC Expert Racer of the Year
2009 #3 Combined Overall Championship

Unread
  (#14)

July 16, 2004, 05:54 PM

Looks like an interesting option. Don't know anything about it. I'm guessing that you would be limited to one hard wired computer and the rest wireless. That may be sufficient for you.

Are you using comcast? Their help forums are pretty good, and have a lot of info. Seems to be some disagreement about whether connecting more than one computer is a violation of the terms of service which states:

Quote:
Theft of Service: You will not connect the Service or any Comcast Equipment to more computers, either on or outside of the Premises, than are reflected in your account with us. You acknowledge that any unauthorized receipt of the Service constitutes theft of service, which is a violation of federal law and can result in both civil and criminal penalties. In addition, if the violations are willful and for commercial advantage or private financial gain, the penalties may be increased.
For the most part, I imagine that they are concerned about pulling multiple public IPs, which you would not be doing. Further, when they started cracking down on those pulling multiple IPs, they themselves suggested using a router to eliminate the problem. Nevertheless, the language is there. They even limit those that subscribe to their "Home Networking Service" to a maximum of 5 PCs. Seems ridiculous, and certainly unclear. Nevertheless, I've read that there is no way for them to monitor this, and they seem to not be to concerned about restricting what you do behind your router. FYI.
Unread
  (#15)
Happiness Consultant

July 16, 2004, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rddy
Looks like an interesting option. Don't know anything about it. I'm guessing that you would be limited to one hard wired computer and the rest wireless. That may be sufficient for you.
actually, you could connect a switch or hub to that one connection and get up to 255 hosts according to the manual.

Im not a big fan of combo'd appliances. I believe if your going to take a picture buy a digital camera not a phone with a camera. One of the things I look for in wireless hubs is its ability to filter via the mac address. Not going to get into a tech discussion cos this isn't dcnerds.net, but filtering by the mac address is a good thing for security.

this particular model has it, so it passes the EduardoSuave test. However Im guessing youre going to be screwed like I am living in Loudoun County you have no choice but to get Adelphia. This modem isn't listed in their "recommended" list of modems, so you might want to call them and make sure you can use it.

let me know if you need any help.

word

DBR
#135, #47, Vega
--

Will pay to see this